Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you give money to homeless people?

Springfield

not usually.  There's this really friendly veteran dude near my job who I'll give a few bucks to every couple weeks if I have cash on me.  His sign said 82nd Airborne, and I was stationed there.  Called him out on it the first time I saw it (not in a rude way) and he told me everything about Ft. Bragg and Fayetteville.  Give each other "the nod" every day, and I'll stop and talk to him every now and then.

But many panhandlers (not all of them, though) are winos.  I know because I used to stand with them outside the liquor store at 8:00 waiting for it to open.  Giving them a few dollars meant less whiskey for me.  

a few bucks?

it's a small thing really, though keep letting small things slide you'll be a failure.

once again, to me it's a karma thing. 

As Zguy28's sig says, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  It comes back, maybe not monetarily, but something ends up going your way.

I've been homeless and drive a lot of junk cars, so I'll help hitchers and the homeless.

I can't imagine having to ask for money to live. I spend thousands on homeless animals and I'm poor. Starting a non profit and asking for money is humbling.

Word.  Send me an address...I'd be more than happy to help homeless animals, you know that.

<<< edit ... probably wrong thread >>>

i occasionally give a little, but not often.  When i am with my wife and kids.. i try not to grimmace too much when they are more generous than i am.

i TRY to remember at other times tht i didn't give the guy on the street a buck -- while thinking it is better to give elsewhere ---   this is only true if i remember to give elsewhere.  

I need an "I am volunteering with habitat for humanity this weekend"  sign to wear :)

(and this weekend-- i really am!)

As Zguy28's sig says, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It comes back, maybe not monetarily, but something ends up going your way.

Word. Send me an address...I'd be more than happy to help homeless animals, you know that.

https://www.gofundme.com/mamabearsfencefund

here is a link to my facebook, which I kind of run as a public person page, but for people I know. I'm not that popular, but it'll show how much I do if you're curious.

https://www.facebook.com/jamison.pollitt

I really am starting a not for profit no kill animal shelter out of my home, until I can get a professional place together.

As Zguy28's sig says, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  It comes back, maybe not monetarily, but something ends up going your way.

But even if it doesn't "come back", that's alright too. I may not believe in karma (necessitates belief in reincarnation), but I definitely believe in the general principle of sowing and reaping regarding your attitude and actions.

Not really, for a variety of reasons.  Foremost is that I almost never carry money on me anymore, and if I do, it's for a specific reason, like I'm going somewhere where I have to use cash.

Secondly, like others have said, not knowing who is legitimate, whose drug habit you might be helping, etc.  I do remember my mother telling me about how there was one homeless guy she used to give money to (she worked near Farragut West) but that she saw him coming out of a liquor store one day and decided never again.  That always stuck with me, and sadly, made me more suspicious of people's motives.

I have given occasionally when I have a few bucks and someone strikes a cord with me.  Usually it's women with small kids, or men with dogs.  One time, I tried to give away part of my uneaten lunch (an apple) to a woman who thanked me but declined, she had no teeth.  I felt like a schmuck for that one.

I prefer to give food, water, or donations to charity in lieu of cash directly to someone.

Animals though... two years ago, an early 20s couple had camped out on a median near the massive mall near me. Their sign said "out of luck, anything will help" which caught my eye, but then I saw their german shepherd and I knew what needed to be done.

I came back to them about 10 minutes later with a case of dog food, two dishes, two bottles of water and a whole slew of treats. I have no regrets about only helping the dog :P

I prefer to give food, water, or donations to charity in lieu of cash directly to someone.

Animals though... two years ago, an early 20s couple had camped out on a median near the massive mall near me. Their sign said "out of luck, anything will help" which caught my eye, but then I saw their german shepherd and I knew what needed to be done.

I came back to them about 10 minutes later with a case of dog food, two dishes, two bottles of water and a whole slew of treats. I have no regrets about only helping the dog :P

if you like helping animals, look 5 posts up. :)

Archived