Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin Mercenaries I've Wanted to Punch (1993-Present)

TD_washingtonredskins

damn, you are digging deep!!

Where does Stephen Davis fall? 

I loved Stephen Davis!  Homegrown talent that we let get away for some dumb reason.

Who was that awful running back we traded like a 2nd and third rounder for? Dockett? Duckett?

Also Mike Williams. Nice guy but if you're relying on someone losing 100 pounds to be a starter on your team you seriously need to reevaluate your scouting strategies

TJ Duckett!  What a waste of a 3rd rounder.  But in all fairness, we'd have whiffed on that pick anyway.  So no harm, no foul. ;)

Its Haynesworth for me, but i'd be afraid to punch him; he might think my fist is a hamburger and try to eat it.

There was a player in the 80's who was a Redskin but went to Dallas; can't remember his name, but it was a short name, Dean, something like that. I wanna punch him just for the idea of leaving us.

I remember being directly behind him at security at BWI a few years ago. Enormous human being. I was disgusted by his presence as a fan, but out of self preservation, I kept my comments to myself. lol

This thread should be copy pasted everytime someone suggests we go crazy in FA.

Free Agency is a bigger crapshoot than the draft and more expensive.

Going crazy in FA is one thing, going crazy on questionable players is something different. Guys with attitude problems, guys over the hill, guys that weren't that good to begin with are just about all the names on this list.

I loved Stephen Davis!  Homegrown talent that we let get away for some dumb reason.

TJ Duckett!  What a waste of a 3rd rounder.  But in all fairness, we'd have whiffed on that pick anyway.  So no harm, no foul. ;)

It wasn't really no reason - He got in a fist fight with the guy who we THOUGHT was gonna be our Franchisee start WR for years...

It wasn't really no reason - He got in a fist fight with the guy who we THOUGHT was gonna be our Franchisee start WR for years...

First, Westbrook punched Davis.  Second, that happened when Davis was a complete unknown prior to his breakout season in 1999.  Third, we got rid of Michael Westbrook (2001 was his last season here) before we let Davis go (2003).

OMG. This is hilarious. I have to ask why? A punter?

Wasn't he during our last SB year?

He sure was!

Growing up as a kid, my whole family would go to my grandparents house every Sunday to watch the Skins game...with the TV on mute and Sonny, Sam, and Frank on the call.  For some reason I distinctly remember my family yelling at Kelly Goodburn for shanking punts all the time and I think he had a few blocked as well.  He was just really bad.

I also remember my grandfather constantly hating on Martin Mayhew for always getting beat, LOL.

DeSean Jackson's boneheaded play on Monday night got me thinking about some of the hired help we've brought in since the NFL changed to a free-agency/salary cap model back in the early- to mid-1990s. I thought it would be fun and somewhat cathartic to list out some of the free agents we've brought in who have either been a bust or made plays that have pissed you off. 

This can be for a track record of sub-par play in DC or for a singular event or play that annoyed you to no end. Obviously, Jackson hasn't been anything resembling a bust (both due to the relatively modest price and because he's produced quite a few big plays, when healthy). I'll give my 5 in no particular order, with a brief summary of why...

Stanley Richard, FS (1995-1998)

Coming off a Super Bowl appearance with the Chargers (during which he ran roughly 756 yards trailing 49er receivers), we brought Richard in to shore up our secondary. Objectively, I think The Sheriff was probably pretty average for us. I'm actually a little surprised to see that he played here for 4 full seasons (and was very durable). It might have been because those Norv teams generated no pass rush or always seemed to play so passively, but I honestly cannot remember any of 11 interceptions that he had and only remember him either being burned for touchdowns or coming up to make tackles after very easy completions. 

Deion Sanders, CB (2000)

This was a high-profile acquisition made after our feel-good season of 1999 when we decided to scrap the gelling defense and start over with aging veterans. Along with Sanders, we demoted Kenard Lang (13.0 sacks over the previous two years) for Bruce Smith. I actually believe that these high-profile changes (which also included adding Mark Carrier to the secondary - as an aside, how many games would that guy be suspended in THIS NFL??) worked very well on the field in the short-term. Our defense improved significantly which honestly put us in position to contend for a championship in 2000. It's the offense and kicking game that regressed badly and killed any shot we had. But I digress, the play that really bothered me during Deion's season in DC was somewhat similar to DJax's play on Monday Night. Back for a punt, he was showboating and working the crowd into a tizzy before promptly fielding a punt off his facemask. I don't think we lost the fumble, but it struck me as such a ridiculously self-centered act. He had a decent season (much better than people give him credit for), but I never liked having that Cowboy here. 

Jeremiah Trotter, LB (2002-2003)

Despite seemingly having a decent stable of homegrown LBs in the early-2000s (Shawn Barber, Antonio Pierce, LaVar Arrington) we decided to bring in Trotter and Jessie Armstead from two division rivals to solidify the middle layer of our defense. I can't really quantify or prove that Trotter sucked, but I remember him really never being a factor at all. Armstead seemed to make a few plays here and there, but I hated Trotter. What made it worse was that he went back to the Eagles in 2004 and instantly regained form. In fairness, I'm sure this was our fault and not his, but something still seemed fishy since we had a competent defensive coordinator at the time. 

Brandon Lloyd, WR (2006-2007)

I kind of hated every FA we added between 2005 and 2006, but everything rubbed me the wrong way about Lloyd. He seemed to care very little about football (not something I thought about Randle-El or Archuleta. This guy AVERAGED about 45 catches, 600 yards, and 5 TDs over the previous two years in San Francisco and put up a whopping 25 catches, 380 yards, and 0 TDs in his two years here. I mean, WTF is that????

DeSean Jackson (2014-Present)

He's made big plays and he's been a perfectly fine teammate, but it's going to take some time for me to get over that boneheaded and self-centered play from Monday night. It's been beaten to death, but his attempt at being a game-changer changed the game in the wrong way. We went from 1st-and-10 around our 25 with 1:45 to go to trailing by 7 with a minute to go. He stood up and took the blame, but I'm still irritated that it happened (I'm also a little annoyed that he took the blame for fumbling, which was the most excusable aspect of that play, and not for his ridiculous backtracking to our own goal line). He owes me 4 big plays from here on out to make up for that...

And yes, I'm leaving out Haynesworth because it's too obvious...

Who else? 

It's worth noting that the Redskins were a complete dumpster fire during this time period. Players who came here had to measure competitiveness versus banking for themselves in a post football world AND establishing a strong base for salaries at their position in the NFL. So it's difficult to begrudge them going for the money except when it's obvious that the money wasn't worth the career cost, and the career cost was balatantly obvious at the time.

Richard: was just one in a long line of mediocre DB's that played for super bowl winners and got ridiculous contracts post-Super Bowl. Just a year after Richard, remember what the Raiders paid Cowboys DB Larry Brown for doing what any DB worth his salt could do, intercept Neil O'Donnell. We were rebuilding from scratch in the '95 offseason trying to fix the OL, DL, and playmaking positions via patch work and draft choices, the nightmare is that Casserly's drafts after Beathard left were even worse than Beathard's last drafts-between '93-'98 when we most desperately needed to inject youthful talent into the team, Casserly consistently missed on not only first rounders, but generally, all rounders. Richard didn't get to play with in his prime Green, or Mayhew, or anybody else of talent, he got to play for a team that had virtually no talent at any level of the defense. I didn't like him either, but he wasn't even a scintilla of the problems. 

Sanders: He was set for retirement, and the Cowboys were circling the drain, the Redskins had just made the playoffs, and Snyder had only just started salting the earth when it came to his reputation at that stage. Sanders didn't realize he was signing with a complete dumpster fire of a team, if he had, he never would have signed here, see his mercenary relationship to Atlanta-SF-Dallas-Washington. 

Trotter: Mystifying, guy was a stud before us, came to us and stunk (and our D wasn't a total horror show back then either if I remember right), then left and was solid again. Really annoying and yes, never seemed like he wanted to be there, but by that point the story that our team was basically the LA Clippers and Donald Sterling of the NFL along with the Raiders was becoming common knowledge. 

Lloyd:

Supposedly Niners veterans basically marched Lloyd out of SF with pitchforks that offseason. He was absolutely despised in the locker room. Being from the bay, I'd seen him play a lot and hated the signing because of his mental make up, though I thought he was a legit #3 option in a quality offense. Good hands, some dynamism to his game, but again, terrible mental make up. He also played for god awful QB's with us before leaving, and having success again elsewhere with competent and better quarterbacks. 

Jackson: 

Dynamic stud, was incredible at Cal, but is a rough and tumble kid from a really brutal background kind of like Lynch (I'm familiar with the area of Oakland he grew up in and where he went to school (I substituted at nearly all the high schools in Oakland as a teacher in training when Lynch was there, and Tech had a rep, not as bad as Castlemont, but definitely a rep, it's a real, real rough area, Fruitvale (my BART station made famous in a movie, was actually a much safer area). I'm not a fan either, and always viewed Jackson as a plug and play WR to help RG3 develop who could be dumped once RG3 was ready, and replaced with someone we drafted or signed, when we got RG3 we needed to give him multiple weapons to accelerate his development, and considering his superb numbers as a deep ball thrower in 2011 at Baylor, it made sense to take advantage of it by going after perhaps the best deep passing game threat in the NFL. 

McNabb:

Agreed with another poster, I was absolutely outraged when the trade was made, just an armchair analysts review of McNabb's career trends would have noted that he was circling the drain before his last year in Philly when a hole pile of new weapons was added to his offense (Jackson, Maclin, McCoy etc) which artificially inflated his numbers. While the rationale was easy to understand-get a stop back bridge QB while you develop the rest of the team and draft the future franchise guy, it didn't make sense with McNabb because he did have sketchy mental make up issues, and his arm talent was sub par and his game was in sharp decline and the cost, worst of all, would include vital draft picks for us when we had gone w/o our full cupboard of draft picks for a decade, and with a blind, mentally defficient half-wit  in charge of refilling that cupboard that whole decade to boot. Losing a 2nd and a 4th, two of our top 4 draft picks, when we were graded as having the worst roster in the NFL in terms of depth, and high end talent (think Tennessee circa 2014) was just criminally stupid. He was a cancer on top of it.

Fat Haynesworth: 

Kind of Sean Gilbert II, except at least we parlayed Gilbert into genuine value by trading him for two first rounders (later partially wasted), while Haynesworth just worked for a couple of years completely destroying what was left of the tattered reputation of the franchise (the RG3-Shanny nightmare would do the rest). 

Yeah, Lloyd is the one I'd like to punch in the throat (besides Haynesworth). Dude had a ton of talent and couldn't be bothered. He was too busy trying to be a rapper. It bothered me because he was a lazy POS, but also because it was Gibbs that he was stiff arming.

How'd that work out for you, douche bag?

OK...TOP THIS

Vinny Cerrato over Charlie Casserly. THAT STILL PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't it really Norv over Charlie? The rumors at the time were that they didn't get along at all and Snyder pretty much had to pick the guy he wanted to keep. I'm sure it would have been better to keep Casserly even though I don't think he ever proved to be anything better than a below-average GM. 

The only thing he really did well was trade the Ricky Williams pick for an entire draft. But other than grabbing Champ Bailey, we really didn't do anything with the picks that should have set us up for a decade. 

Wasn't it really Norv over Charlie? The rumors at the time were that they didn't get along at all and Snyder pretty much had to pick the guy he wanted to keep. I'm sure it would have been better to keep Casserly even though I don't think he ever proved to be anything better than a below-average GM. 

The only thing he really did well was trade the Ricky Williams pick for an entire draft. But other than grabbing Champ Bailey, we really didn't do anything with the picks that should have set us up for a decade. 

Beatherd (GM), Casserly (Player Personnel), Gibbs (Coach)were the three Amigo's that won those Super Bowls. Casserly got a small shot at GM when Gibbs retired and Marty took over. Marty and Snyder clashed and Casserly got shafted in the process. I *think* I've heard that Snyder later told Charlie that releasing him was a mistake for Vinny...Anyway CAsserly put together the REPLACEMENT Player Team and kept talent stored in the practice squads...SOOOOO rethinking my response..the TRUE WORST MERCENARY WAS and STILL IS "SNYDER" for screwing Junior out of the club...The Redskins should NEVER have left the Cooke Family.

Laverneus Coles

Coles got us Santana in an even trade...so HE HAD VALUE in how we got Santana Moss

Archived