Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Washington mayor declares public emergency over migrant arrivals from Texas, Arizona

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser on Thursday declared a public emergency over buses of migrants sent by Republican governors from the U.S.-Mexico border states of Texas and Arizona.

Bowser, a Democrat, issued an order to support arriving migrants by creating a new Office of Migrant Services and will devote $10 million to launch the office. The city will seek reimbursement from the federal government, Bowser said.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has sent more than 7,900 migrants to Washington, D.C., since April in an effort to push responsibility for border crossers to Democrats, including U.S. President Joe Biden. Arizona has sent about 1,700.

Texas also has sent more than 2,200 migrants to New York City and 300 to Chicago, although some get off the buses in other U.S. states before reaching the cities.

Bowser's office called the busing a "political stunt," a sentiment echoed by the White House and Democratic mayors of New York City and Chicago.

Around 85%-90% of migrants arriving in Washington on the buses continue to other U.S. destinations within hours or days, according to volunteers who assist them.

Bowser said the city is preparing for border crossings to increase in the fall, and for Texas and Arizona to send hundreds of additional buses to Washington.

"The crisis at the border is not lessening, it's getting worse," she said.

Some 94 migrant families are currently being housed in hotels in Washington through the city's shelter system, she said.

Newly arrived migrants in Washington have struggled to secure permanent housing and medical care, Reuters reported in August.

Bowser twice requested National Guard troops to help receive the migrants, but was denied both times.

Click on the link for the full article

Chicago mayor accused of ‘hypocrisy’ for sending migrants to GOP suburb

Democratic Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is being accused of hypocrisy after it emerged that dozens of migrants who recently arrived in the Windy City by bus were secretly sent on to a wealthy Republican suburb.

Despite Lightfoot repeatedly claiming that Chicago was welcoming the influx of border-crossers from Texas, at least 64 were forwarded without warning to a Hampton Inn in Burr Ridge, village officials said.

“Neither staff nor I were contacted about the decision to house migrants in Burr Ridge,” the village’s Republican mayor, Gary Grasso, complained.

“It is hypocrisy by the mayor of Chicago to complain” about the new arrivals being sent from Texas just to bounce them back to Republican areas, Grasso told Fox News over the weekend.

“This isn’t about” the migrants, Grasso insisted, saying, “We’re more than happy for people to find freedom.”

However, Lightfoot and Democratic Illinois Gov. J. B. Pritzker. are using them “as political pawns” in their anger at Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, the Burr Ridge mayor added.

“There must be vacant hotel rooms in Chicago,” Grasso said, noting the arrivals number just “hundreds of people in a city of millions.”

“Why are they sending them out to the Republican suburbs? You have to wonder,” Grasso said.

Lightfoot has accused Abbott of being “without any shame or humanity” for busing the immigrants, which she has insisted is a “racist policy.”

Pritzker has also said that what his Texas counterpart is doing “is disgusting and it needs to stop.

11 hours ago, China said:

Chicago mayor accused of ‘hypocrisy’ for sending migrants to GOP suburb

Democratic Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is being accused of hypocrisy after it emerged that dozens of migrants who recently arrived in the Windy City by bus were secretly sent on to a wealthy Republican suburb.

Despite Lightfoot repeatedly claiming that Chicago was welcoming the influx of border-crossers from Texas, at least 64 were forwarded without warning to a Hampton Inn in Burr Ridge, village officials said.

“Neither staff nor I were contacted about the decision to house migrants in Burr Ridge,” the village’s Republican mayor, Gary Grasso, complained.

“It is hypocrisy by the mayor of Chicago to complain” about the new arrivals being sent from Texas just to bounce them back to Republican areas, Grasso told Fox News over the weekend.

“This isn’t about” the migrants, Grasso insisted, saying, “We’re more than happy for people to find freedom.”

However, Lightfoot and Democratic Illinois Gov. J. B. Pritzker. are using them “as political pawns” in their anger at Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, the Burr Ridge mayor added.

“There must be vacant hotel rooms in Chicago,” Grasso said, noting the arrivals number just “hundreds of people in a city of millions.”

“Why are they sending them out to the Republican suburbs? You have to wonder,” Grasso said.

Lightfoot has accused Abbott of being “without any shame or humanity” for busing the immigrants, which she has insisted is a “racist policy.”

Pritzker has also said that what his Texas counterpart is doing “is disgusting and it needs to stop.

The Biden administration couldn’t screw up the border any worse than it is and that idiot press secretary says it’s Trumps fault. Unbelievable 

1 hour ago, Tundra scout said:

The Biden administration couldn’t screw up the border any worse than it is and that idiot press secretary says it’s Trumps fault. Unbelievable 

Well instead of giving us the talking point, how about showing why and how this happened...with solid evidence. 

I"m not talking about what Biden said, but changes in actual policy since he took office and data showing how changes directly correlate to the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Tundra scout said:

But I keep seeing a lot of GOPers posted how all these drugs were seized at the border. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This DeSantis stunt of sending illegal immigrants on a plane to Martha’s Vinyard is pretty disgusting. **** that guy. 

What is disgusting about it? I’m assuming you mean beyond the price tag.

if it was economical and there was nothing better he could be spending money on. Democrats don’t want a border wall or whatever* and it is Texas and Arizona who often have to deal with the brunt of the issues. So send them to democratic states and see what how they like it. I sort of get it.

The problem for me is he is spending something like 500k on each flight. It shouldn’t cost that much. That’s money that could be spent on real problems in Texas, like the energy grid or opiate crisis for example.

*of course If people are willing to risk the very real chance of death to get here, a wall or whatever we do on our end won’t be enough

Its sort of disingenuous to attempt to minimize the negative impacts of illegal immigration while at the same time declaring a state of emergency because illegal immigrants are being flown into your state/city.

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

These were caused by the caravan, right? 

I thought it was CHINA!

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What is disgusting about it? I’m assuming you mean beyond the price tag.

It's making a mockery of human life.  I really don't care about the price tag, politicians are gonna waste money, 12 million or whatever I saw how much it cost is a rounding error.  That said, it should be important to note that there's no such thing as a "fiscally conservative Republican" anymore.  They spend money like crazy, too.  

It's just a stupid, petty game.  But I guess the conservatives think this type of **** is hilarious because eerrrmmmagggheerd it's Martha's Vineyard and TeH LiBRULZ live there.  And yet the people of Martha's Vineyard, as far as I can tell, have treated them with grace and dignity.  

Maybe that's the saddest thing here, the conservatives who don't bother to think past themselves think this is hilarious, PWN THE LIBS.  None of them would ever stop to think about grace and dignity because...well, if you don't have any of it yourself, you can't expect to pass it on to others.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Martha's Vineyard must have changed since I went there as a kid.  When I was growing up, Martha's Vineyard is where all the "old money" (usually more conservative) went and Cape Cod was slightly more low brow.  If you really want to hit the liberals, send them to NY city or Boston or anywhere in MD.  

• Thumb up 1