Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Suspected terrorists crossing border 'at a level we have never seen before,' outgoing Border Patrol chief says

https://news.yahoo.com/suspected-terrorists-crossing-border-level-174700735.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIGM_jq0icwq0nw0V2tEJ8lxhEIWPA9HKWQy0EfrteVpuGZ9wNcUueD-LI-_e51kd8o-uj4XdoIqhPpNlJHvQf1KrgU5GWWg81VSKlcNJt-DZhTmnYlNGfbY3cRhC0Y2kx_0XmUQI8UbGX5Zp47qGLMAiFeSh6t6qnAySBk56bp_

“I firmly believe that it is a national security crisis. Immigration is just a subcomponent of it, and right now, it’s just a cover for massive amounts of smuggling going across the southwest border — to include TSDBs at a level we have never seen before. That's a real threat.”

Sounds like a very secure border to me. Not wide open at all. 

Is there a possibility of having a border that is not wide open, but also not completely secure?

Is there any level of degress?

From there, is there any evidence that actually backs up what he's said?

(Looking, they caught 2 people  (while Biden was President) on the FBI terrorists watch list.  2 actually represents a large number for people on the terrorists watch list crossing the southern border (hundreds of people on the terrorist watch list try to come in through airports every year.  That list is also known to have problems so maybe 2 represents a "level we have never seen before" or maybe the 2 aren't actually terrorist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/cbp-stopped-two-men-terror-watchlist-border-says-such-incidents-n1263167

)

6 hours ago, PeterMP said:

@clskinsfan

There have been claims that Biden is not enforcing the border laws.  That he's for open borders and allowing unchecked flow of migrants to come into the US.

However, people being detained at the border have increased every month Biden has been President.

I have a hard time reconciling a lack of enforcement of the border with increasing numbers of detainees.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/16/us-mexico-border-apprehensions-how-many/

Bear in mind, you're talking about people who think that the GODC are big on controlling the deficit. 

US judge in Nevada: Felony deportation law unconstitutional

In a court ruling with potentially broad implications for U.S. immigration cases, a federal judge in Nevada found that a criminal law that dates to 1929 and makes it a felony for a person who has been deported to return to the United States is unconstitutional.

U.S. District Judge Miranda Du in Reno, in an order issued Wednesday, found the law widely known as Section 1326 is based on “racist, nativist roots” and discriminates against Mexican and Latinx people in violation of the equal protection clause of the Fifth Amendment.

“Anybody who works in federal courts knows the statute,” Franny Forsman, retired longtime chief of the Federal Public Defender’s Office in Nevada, said Thursday. “There really are a large number of cases that have been brought over the years under that section. They’re mostly public defender cases.”

Section 1326 of the Immigration and Nationality Act makes it a crime for a person to enter the U.S. if they have been denied admission, deported or removed. It was enacted in 1952 using language from the Undesirable Aliens Act passed by Congress in 1929. Penalties were stiffened five times between 1988 and 1996 to increase its deterrent value.

Forsman said she expected the government will appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

But Julian Castro, secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the Obama administration, tweeted that he doubted the Justice Department would want to defend a law with “an incredibly racist history.”

Acting U.S. Attorney Christopher Chiou and an aide did not immediately respond to messages about the ruling.

Forsman called Du’s order groundbreaking for its thoroughness. Du, a Vietnamese immigrant, was nominated to the federal bench by President Barack Obama and sworn in in 2012.

“I think it will have implications because it’s going to be difficult to get around her reasoning,” Forsman said of the court order. “It’s a little hard to get around a statute that was called the ‘Wetback Act’ by the people enacting it.” The derogatory term often refers to Mexican migrants who have entered the country illegally, but it’s also used to disparage all Hispanics.

Du said she considered written and oral arguments and expert testimony about the legislative history of the law from professors Benjamin Gonzalez O’Brien of San Diego State University and Kelly Lytle Hernández of the University of California, Los Angeles.

“Importantly, the government does not dispute that Section 1326 bears more heavily on Mexican and Latinx individuals,” the judge said in her 43-page order dismissing the June 2020 criminal indictment of Gustavo Carrillo-Lopez.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

The ruling on Biden v. Texas is insane.  This is partisan hackery of the first order.  This is legislating from the bench.  How did this not make bigger news!?!?!  The Supreme Court needs to control itself if a President is not allowed to reverse course from immigration policy.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Gov. Abbott reverses call for shutdown of 6 border entry points, blames Biden administration

On Thursday, Gov. Greg Abbott ordered the Texas Department of Public Safety and the Texas National Guard to assist in shutting down six points of entry along the southern border, his office confirmed.

“The sheer negligence of the Biden Administration to do their job and secure the border is appalling. I have directed the Department of Public Safety and the Texas National Guard to surge personnel and vehicles to shut down six points of entry along the southern border to stop these caravans from overrunning our state,” Gov. Abbott originally said in a statement.

“The border crisis is so dire that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection is requesting our help as their agents are overwhelmed by the chaos. Unlike President Biden, the State of Texas remains committed to securing our border and protecting Americans.” the statement continued.

Abbott’s office issued another statement later on Thursday after it says the Biden administration reversed the governor’s decision to close the points of entry.

“Six hours after U.S. Customs and Border Protection requested help from Texas to close ports of entry and secure the border, the Biden Administration has now flip-flopped to a different strategy that abandons border security and instead makes it easier for people to cross illegally and for cartels to exploit the border,” Abbott’s office said. “The Biden Administration is in complete disarray and is handling the border crisis as badly as the evacuation from Afghanistan.”

The new statement went on to say Abbott has directed Texas DPS and Texas National Guard to instead “maintain their presence at and around ports of entry to deter crossings.”

“The Department of Homeland Security is not seeking assistance from the State of Texas to shut down ports of entry. It would be a violation of federal law for the Texas National Guard to unilaterally do so,” a Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said.

• 2 weeks later...

Officials: All migrants are gone from Texas border camp

No migrants remained Friday at the Texas border encampment where almost 15,000 people — most of them Haitians — had converged just days earlier seeking asylum, local and federal officials said.

It’s a dramatic change from last Saturday, when the number peaked as migrants driven by confusion over the Biden administration’s policies and misinformation on social media converged at the border crossing connecting Del Rio, Texas, and Ciudad Acuña, Mexico.

At a news conference, Del Rio Mayor Buno Lozano called it “phenomenal news.”

Many face expulsion because they are not covered by protections recently extended by the Biden administration to the more than 100,000 Haitian migrants already in the U.S., citing security concerns and social unrest in the Western Hemisphere’s poorest country. The devastating 2010 earthquake forced many of them from their homeland.

The United States and Mexico appeared eager to end the increasingly politicized humanitarian situation that prompted the resignation of the U.S. special envoy to Haiti and widespread outrage after images emerged of border agents maneuvering their horses to forcibly block and move migrants.

On Friday, President Joe Biden said the way the agents used their horses was “horrible” and that “people will pay” as a result. The agents have been assigned to administrative duties while the administration investigates.

• 3 weeks later...

Families separated by Trump administration at the border still waiting for reunification

It's been 35 years since Congress last passed a sweeping overhaul of the immigration system. So, president after president has careened from crisis to crisis at the border. President Biden is no different.

His administration is struggling to deal with one of the largest surges of migrants at the southern border in 20 years while, at the same time, trying to clean up another immigration mess you might think was already fixed.  

Remember the stories of migrant children being intentionally separated from their parents at the border in 2018? The practice sparked widespread, bipartisan outrage and forced President Trump to order an end to the separations. Soon after, a federal judge ordered the government to reunite the families. 

But three years later, at least a thousand children have not been returned to their parents.

Sharyn Alfonsi: I think a lot of people will say to themselves, like, "How can they not have reunited these families already? There's parents and there's a kid, and you've gotta get them together." Why is it so difficult?

Michelle Brane: It's been three-plus years for a lot of these families. They have moved to different places. So they're no longer at the addresses we may have last had for them. They-- in many cases, these children are with sponsors who they now call mommy and daddy, right? And so it's not as simple as just saying, "Gonna put you on a plane, and reunify you, and then we're done."

Michelle Brane leads the family reunification task force formed by President Biden in the first weeks of his presidency. Four federal agencies are working on it, but despite their power and reach, in seven months, they've only reunited 52 families.

Michelle Brane: We estimate that over 1,000, somewhere between 1,000, 1,500 maybe more remain separated. It's very hard to know because there's no record.

Sharyn Alfonsi: How do you separate a child from their parents, and there's no documentation?

Michelle Brane: It is shocking. And really, what happened was that there was no system in place for documenting separations. So there's nowhere to go to find out who was separated or not. It really is case-by-case detective work.

• Sad 1

Biden administration is preparing to revive a Trump-era border policy in November

The Biden administration is preparing to revive in mid-November a Trump-era border policy that forces migrants to stay in Mexico until their US immigration court date, according to administration officials, putting it on track to implement another controversial policy at the US southern border.

The timeline, administration officials cautioned, is contingent on Mexico and whether it agrees to accept those enrolled in the program.

The policy, informally known as "remain in Mexico," was suspended at the beginning of President Joe Biden's term and formally terminated months later. But in August, a federal judge in Texas said that the Biden administration had violated the Administrative Procedure Act -- which requires that agencies take certain procedural steps when implementing policy -- in how it went about unwinding the program and ordered its revival.

The Supreme Court later declined the Biden administration's request that it put on hold the lower court order, issuing a major blow to the administration as it sought to distance itself from Trump-era immigration policies.

Man held by ICE in solitary confinement for over a year sues in 1st case under new California law

Held in solitary confinement and unable to sleep, Carlos Murillo Vega spent his days pacing around the cell with walls so close he could almost touch them both with arms outstretched.

Murillo was born in Mexico and raised in Holtville, a California town near the Mexican border. He says he is a U.S. citizen but lacks the necessary paperwork to prove it. After being detained by immigration authorities in December 2019, he thought the situation would be resolved within weeks. Now Murillo, 40, is suing the private detention company that held him in isolation for more than a year.

The lawsuit was filed Thursday by the California Collaborative for Immigrant Justice and other groups in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California against the Management and Training Corp., a Utah-based private prison company. It’s the first such case under a new California law that allows people to sue private detention center operators for failing to comply with the standards of care outlined in the facility’s contract.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-administration-in-talks-to-pay-hundreds-of-millions-to-immigrant-families-separated-at-border-11635447591

This is utter nonsense if true. I don't see how you can be a tax paying citizen and think this is ok its not our fault people decide to cross into the country putting their children at risk. Are we going to stop giving billions of dollars to the host countries of these people as well to pay for this mess? We all know the majority of that money is pocketed and wasted by the corrupt governments of these countries. We obviously need some sort of remedy to this border situation and neither party knows what to do with it but cmon 450k per person in compensation with US tax dollars is insane.

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-administration-in-talks-to-pay-hundreds-of-millions-to-immigrant-families-separated-at-border-11635447591

This is utter nonsense if true. I don't see how you can be a tax paying citizen and think this is ok its not our fault people decide to cross into the country putting their children at risk. Are we going to stop giving billions of dollars to the host countries of these people as well to pay for this mess? We all know the majority of that money is pocketed and wasted by the corrupt governments of these countries. We obviously need some sort of remedy to this border situation and neither party knows what to do with it but cmon 450k per person in compensation with US tax dollars is insane.

Applying for asylum at the US border is perfectly legal and beneficial.

Separating families is a a terrible and cruel policy.

This is a vastly better use of taxpayer dollars than the $4-5 Billion the GOP votes to send to Israel EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Also, Trump spent like $15B to build 400 miles of “wall” which is completely useless and already falling apart.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Applying for asylum at the US border is perfectly legal and beneficial.

Separating families is a a terrible and cruel policy.

This is a vastly better use of taxpayer dollars than the $4-5 Billion the GOP votes to send to Israel EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Also, Trump spent like $15B to build 400 miles of “wall” which is completely useless and already falling apart.

This has nothing to do with Israel, I could also careless about what Trump did, also Israel isn't the only country we send money to at least they utilize the aid we give them to defend their people and country....if we want to talk about better usage of money, Slave reparations should be paid and it should be a hell of a lot more then 450k these people came to our border on  their own, black Americans with ancestors that were forced here to do slave work deserve a hell of a lot more. Bad look in my opinion. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

This has nothing to do with Israel, I could also careless about what Trump did, also Israel isn't the only country we send money to at least they utilize the aid we give them to defend their people and country....if we want to talk about better usage of money, Slave reparations should be paid and it should be a hell of a lot more then 450k these people came to our border not heir own, black Americans with ancestors that were forced here to do slave work deserve a hell of a lot more. Bad look in my opinion. 

Separating families at the border and the numerous resulting lawsuits are indeed a very bad look…and the consequences are costly.  Which is why any sane person was against the policy from its onset.

I’m fine with some form of slave reparations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Separating families at the border and the numerous resulting lawsuits are indeed a very bad look…and the consequences are costly.  Which is why any sane person was against the policy from its onset.

Better to get ahead of it, I agree.  How many families we talkin here now?

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m fine with some form of slave reparations.

Prefer policy changes over straight cash, theres too many of us, policy changes would be more efficient and likely to pass because of the price tag, imo.  I dont want a check to act like a pass for not passing a criminal justice reform bill or voting rights bill, for example.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@CjSuAvE22 your article is behind a paywall...

I dunno I didn't have to pay to read it from wsj but after giving it more thought I guess its understandable but I feel like upwards of 1 million per family is a lot because they were separated at the border I agree its a horrible practice but children are put in danger by their parents simply by making this trek and hike to our border, either way something needs to be done about our border situation the politicians need to figure it out quickly rather than implementing stupid rules like the separation of families to deter the migration or simply saying "do not come"....

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I dunno I didn't have to pay to read it from wsj but after giving it more thought I guess its understandable but I feel like upwards of 1 million per family is a lot because they were separated at the border I agree its a horrible practice but children are put in danger by their parents simply by making this trek and hike to our border, either way something needs to be done about our border situation the politicians need to figure it out quickly rather than implementing stupid rules like the separation of families to deter the migration or simply saying "do not come"....

You aren't going to find many that disagree with you here.

Having said that, and in consideration of what they are running from, if the shoe was on the other foot, many of us would do the same damn thing for our kids.  I dont blame them, and we used to encourage people to come here. 

That money we are sending to Israel should be going to the triangle.  It should be in a structured fashion where we can better get tangible results, I agree, but that doesn't mean we can't chew gum and walk at the same time in the meantime.

2 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I feel dirty, lol,...I pay for WaPo and Failing NYT...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 5:22 PM, CjSuAvE22 said:

First, I think it's doubtful that final settlement figure would be that high for everyone (especially in light of the political backlash).  You may have a scaled compensation chart that may go up to a very high amount, but the leaked number is probably unlikely.  But with some of the really bad cases, the government may not want to roll the dice with a jury.

1 hour ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Can someone who understands better than I, explain where all the “children lost at the border” may be? I’m struggling to figure out why a $500k payout makes more sense than reunification. Setting up a system to report lost child, DNA database, etc. am I missing something?

It's not either/or.  Just like a wrongfully convicted gets released and also financial compensation, they are trying to do both.