Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Think about this.  It is possible that a person that is active duty military could be denied entry to the very country they are fighting for at this moment.  Let that sink in.

They already have. Iraqis who have put themselves and their families in enormous peril over the past decade have been rejected today.

TWO MORE! Just contacted by two more of my Iraqi Special ops interpreters. Both got SIV 5 days ago. All cancelled this AM at 0900. FFS!!

11 minutes ago, brandymac27 said:

I'm 44 years old and always been a registered Republican.  Voted for a Democratic President for the first time in my life this year and donated $150 to the ACLU this evening (first donation to the ACLU ever).

I think I should just go ahead and change my party affiliation.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 11

Just now, Corcaigh said:

They already have. Iraqis who have put themselves and their families in enormous peril over the past decade have been rejected today.

TWO MORE! Just contacted by two more of my Iraqi Special ops interpreters. Both got SIV 5 days ago. All cancelled this AM at 0900. FFS!!

While that is wrong also, that not what I am talking about.  I mean men and women in an American uniform with a US military ID.  Not some one who has helped us but someone who literally is one of us.

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

I'm 44 years old and always been a registered Republican.  Voted for a Democratic President for the first time in my life this and donated $150 to the ACLU this evening (first donation to the ACLU ever).

I'm a democrat, but I'm also donating to the ACLU tonight. They're going to need all of our support with the way things are going :(

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Interesting.  Fox News hasn't mentioned a single thing about the protests.  I've been watching for about an hour.

That's how they roll. Check different news websites one after the other.  If anything negative for the right/ good for the left is happening Fox wI'll be an outlier.

I don't recall an excessive amount of outrage for a  "Muslim ban" 5 years ago against Obama when he banned Iraqi refugees for 6 months,  even for interpreters that helped the US.

The countries that Trump selected are based on a 2016 law concerning immigration visas as "countries of concern." according to CNN.

47 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I'm 44 years old and always been a registered Republican.  Voted for a Democratic President for the first time in my life this and donated $150 to the ACLU this evening (first donation to the ACLU ever).

It's been a big deal to me to be a true independent and I have been one since my first presidential vote for tricky dick. This time, I was a big boy and put aside my strong dislike of Hillary to keep Trump out because I knew any other move led to this (being intelligent and all) and no other "principle" short of putting hc over djt made sense in the end no matter how grudging the admission. I knew any choice that was not a vote for hillary would elect trump. Duh. So I really re-engaged with the regional political scene. I will continue in that fashion and from now on work hard for the D party/candidates only. Thought I'd make it to my grave as an indie. Oh well. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

While that is wrong also, that not what I am talking about.  I mean men and women in an American uniform with a US military ID.  Not some one who has helped us but someone who literally is one of us.

If you draw that distinction. You're an idiot and un-American. 

"One of us" 

Have to say, I'm rather surprised at the quiet from Team Trump, on this. 

Dont know if they're actually thinking before acting, or if they can't find a volunteer to go take one for the team (other than the obviously fearless Conway), or if they've all taken the weekend off. 

14 minutes ago, mikered30 said:

I don't recall an excessive amount of outrage for a  "Muslim ban" 5 years ago against Obama when he banned Iraqi refugees for 6 months,  even for interpreters that helped the US.

1.  It wasn't a ban.  They did vastly slow down the rate by a lot.

2.  It was done in an organized way that didn't cause people to get to the US and be stuck in airports or be sent back.

3.  There was no stated special exception for Christians.

4.  There was a specific triggering event, and it was related to that specific country (Iraq)

5.  It didn't apply to people holding green cards (or as near as I can tell people that were dual citizens, (i.e. people that were British and Iraqi citizens were not barred from coming into the US from Britian.))

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/world/middleeast/13baghdad.html

If what Obama did is an apple, this isn't even a fruit.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, mikered30 said:

The countries that Trump selected are based on a 2016 law concerning immigration visas as "countries of concern." according to CNN.

Do you have any idea why there wasn't an excessive amount of outrage compared to now?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If Malcolm Nance himself calls them "my Iraqi Special ops interpreters", that's more than good enough for me.

• Like 1