Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

14 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

As much of an idiot Trump seems to be, and how little he seems to know anything about most things related to his job, part of me....ok maybe just a sliver....thinks even he didn't intend for folks with green cards and/or work visas/student visas etc etc....people whoa actually already live here technically legally would be stopped and detained and forced to go back.  Is this giving the orange orangutan too much slack?

I think I read a tweet somewhere in this thread where it was reported that DHS on friday night internally interpreted the executive order to not apply to permanent residents, but was specifically overruled by the White House on that interpretation.  If that's true....  Ugh....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I_Bleed_B&G said:

This hits home for me.  My parents were refugees in the 70s.  Originally from Yemen but my parents grew up in Uganda.  They were forced out by Idi Amin.  My father arrived in Maryland at the age of 18 and my mom was sent to Austria for a long time until my father could bring her over.  My father arrived with absolutely nothing.  Worked in a shoe factory and lived basically in a dorm room.  He was able to to put in the hard work and just last year retired from the state government.  He held the highest position in his field.  Same with my uncle.

And through all that he was able to raise us 5 kids. Both my father and uncle sacrificed alot for their children and all of us are contributing members to our country.  We have physicians, IT professionals, others working in public health, teachers, wall street execs, etc...

This country has given us a lot!  We never took it for granted and we love this place so much.  It really stinks to see what is happening to this country in a matter of 1 week.  It really is heart breaking.  And if that isn't bad enough, I'm also a die hard Redskins fan.

Dont worry. Majority of this country is with you and will fight for your rights and dignity. 

This orange turd will meet opposition at every step of the way as he tries to undo generations worth of hard fought civil rights and attitude changes. 

• Like 7

The sad thing is Trump isn't going to be stopped until more in the (R) party stop leaving their criticism to behind-closed-door chatter.  It's one thing when Trump is just pushing their usual agenda, but for something like what is happening right now, the gov't at large should come out in unity against it.  I watched about 10 minutes of the news today and there was a (R) guy bending over backwards to try and defend this and of course his answer to everything was "oh you keep going back to this being racist everytime, when it really.."  No man, it goes well beyond being racist or not at this point. 

I am no cheerleader for the idea of President Mike Pence....but at this point I feel like I'd rather take my chances with a religious zealot that actually knows how things work in government, then a monster who is just signing his name to things he seems to have no idea the ramifications of.  

At this point I am actually fearing Trump might do something like phone Erik Prince (formerly of Black Water) to send in private "security"  Trump doesn't seem beyond it.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I have to pick up my parents Tuesday evening at Dulles. They are flying in from Bangladesh via Turkish Airlines. They are U.S. Citizens and have been for 40 years. Should i expect any trouble picking them up?

I'm not sure anyone knows, but I would certainly hope not.  Contact your parent ahead of time if you can and give them a number of an immigration lawyer who can be reached in case of any trouble and you should also take that number with you.  I think ACLU is really being on the forefront of all this, so it might be a good idea to have their local chapter contact info as well.  Short of the world turning upside down in the next few days, they can't discriminate against US citizens.  If they do, your parents would have a Bivens action on their hands (suing for violation of constitutional rights).  Depending on the outcome of Ziglar this term, so may a lot of people detained today.  Hope your parents have a safe and uneventful travel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Republicans in Congress are cowards because they know this is wrong.

I heard that there's a protest at the White House tomorrow between 1pm and 3pm.  I don't know if this is true.

To paraphrase Daryl Hall.  All our eyes are watching you, we see your every move. All our eyes are watching you, watching you.

If we survive until the next election; we must watch every single thing the GOP and Trump, Pence and the GOP does. Try our best to stop them where we can but where we can't make a list. Then in 2018 rise up and throw out every single GOP politician in the U.S.  Impeach and remove Trump and Pence as soon as the new congress takes over in 2019.

A better way would be to use the 25th amendment to remove Trump but noone would have the balls in the government to do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I'm not sure anyone knows, but I would certainly hope not.  Contact your parent ahead of time if you can and give them a number of an immigration lawyer who can be reached in case of any trouble and you should also take that number with you.  I think ACLU is really being on the forefront of all this, so it might be a good idea to have their local chapter contact info as well.  Short of the world turning upside down in the next few days, they can't discriminate against US citizens.  If they do, your parents would have a Bivens action on their hands (suing for violation of constitutional rights).  Depending on the outcome of Ziglar this term, so may a lot of people detained today.  Hope your parents have a safe and uneventful travel.

Talked to my mom earlier  and told her their were protests.

My cousin's wife in Bangladesh just had her interview with U.S. immigration. She should be getting close to coming over, if Trump doesn't put an end to that.

My fear is what happens after the next terrorist attack.  Is Trump going to round all Muslims?  I'm 48 now and have been in the U.S. since I was 7-8 months old and a citizen since I was 9 or 10.  Trump will have to shot and kill me, I'm not going anywhere. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Dont worry. Majority of this country is with you and will fight for your rights and dignity. 

This orange turd will meet opposition at every step of the way as he tries to undo generations worth of hard fought civil rights and attitude changes. 

I do have faith.  There are a lot of good people out here doing great work.  It does make me happy to see all the protests.  In this day and age with the political climate and islamophobia, you sometimes don't know how people really feel.  These protests around the country and world make me extremely happy and proud.

• Like 5

I'm stunned that CBP is acting as if they are unaware of court orders or there isn't some higher up informing them to let these people into the country. Talk about a lack of leadership. Where the **** is anyone in the GOP leadership? Their legacies aren't sealed yet but we are getting there with people like empty suit Paul Ryan. 

It's a damn shame that a person living in the U.S. in 2017 has to worry about being deported or not allowed to return home here because of their religion. I am truly saddened and embarrassed by this. I can only hope that Muslims understand that the majority of Americans do NOT agree with this bull****, and we didn't vote for the orange douche bag! We're willing to stand up for you. You have just as much of a right to be here as anyone else!

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm stunned that CBP is acting as if they are unaware of court orders or there isn't some higher up informing them to let these people into the country. Talk about a lack of leadership. Where the **** is anyone in the GOP leadership? Their legacies aren't sealed yet but we are getting there with people like empty suit Paul Ryan. 

Who knows where they are???? Maybe waiting for Trump to start tweeting?

Reply to Vis's Giuliani Tweet:

Giuliani is so full of it. Let's just cut the bull**** already.  It's a religious ban.

Edited by brandymac27
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, visionary said:

It's worth listening to the interview segment as Giuliani is delusional (nothing new I know). He says that Saudi Arabia is a changed place and that's why they weren't on the list but that he would have to know more about Pakistan as that one troubles him. So did he make the list or not make the list or I guess maybe they wrote the language but weren't aware of the countries being added. Really bizarre. 

Of course him admitting that Trump wanted to ban Muslims is the best part of the interview. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 2

About a decade ago CBP tried to deport me. And that was after they beat the absolute **** out of me. When my lawyer asked  them for video footage they provided an 8 tape for a completely different place. When pressed for the correct tape they stated it had been accidently destroyed. I'm a white guy. Born and raised in Fairfax. Served in the Army. Don't believe a ****ing word they say. 

• Like 3