Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

16 Marines arrested on human smuggling and drug charges

The Marines were arrested at Camp Pendleton based on information gained from a previous human smuggling investigation, the Marine Corps said in a statement Thursday. At least eight other Marines have also been questioned about their involvement in alleged drug offenses.

None of the arrested or detained Marines were a part of the Southwest Border Support mission, according to the military's statement.

Two Marines had been taken into custody July 3 for allegedly helping to smuggle undocumented immigrants across the southern border into San Diego County. The men allegedly received the migrants at a pickup point about 20 miles east of a U.S. port of entry at Tecate and seven miles north of the border, officials said earlier this month.

Click on the link for the full article

The way ICE has just been given this power to run roughshod over neighborhoods, being able to detain and indefinitely hold people they "suspect of" not being U.S. citizens, has to make you wonder if this is all the beginning stages of something else.   Regardless of where you fall on the debate of immigration, since when has it been acceptable to just randomly stop people on the street and demand they prove citizenship on the spot and the penalty for not being able to is indefinite detention?  Also, I am not suggesting this practice just started (I am not sure when it became policy to be honest) but I am asking why people think this is acceptable? 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The way ICE has just been given this power to run roughshod over neighborhoods, being able to detain and indefinitely hold people they "suspect of" not being U.S. citizens, has to make you wonder if this is all the beginning stages of something else.   Regardless of where you fall on the debate of immigration, since when has it been acceptable to just randomly stop people on the street and demand they prove citizenship on the spot and the penalty for not being able to is indefinite detention?  Also, I am not suggesting this practice just started (I am not sure when it became policy to be honest) but I am asking why people think this is acceptable? 

That was the border patrol,not ICE, they have the border zone exception because so many evade legal border crossings.

Traveling in the same vehicle with illegals AND a sworn federal document you are not a citizen here kinda exposes yourself to risk of being detained.

added

Further complicating the matter his mother was using a fake ID when he was born here and thus the names did not match.

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

They’ve been doing this a lot with Trump.

I see them singing a diff tune when President Ocasio-Cortez starts allocating billions from the military to deal with climate change.

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

"when things seem suspicious" as in, they're a little too brown looking

Well they claim she didn't look like the photo, was unaccompanied by a adult , and her answers were off when questioned.....probably by a brown skinned border patrol official.

but whatever.

I wish I could be sure that this wasn't a case of "Hey, if we hold the kid, then when an adult shows up, we can check the status of whoever shows up to claim her, and maybe grab the parent."  

But, in the words of the Dread Pirate Roberts, "I've known too many Spaniards."  

• Like 2

there's another demographic within a demographic (gop = russian nesting dolls of increasing dysfunction) i could dispense with like a used condom

all breitbart believers

there's a putrid slice of humanity for ya

11 hours ago, No Excuses said:

If white children were being detained this way by government agents, every mouth breathing GOP voter would be drowning in rage.

Gun rights groups would be reminding people about the 2nd amendment.  I wish this were a joke but you know it’s exactly what would be happening.  

every mouth breathing GOP voter 

no excuses, please avoid using pejorative labeling to inaccurately reflect a large demographic of your fellow americans

mouth breathers are the true big tent party and enjoy support not just from both wings, but from almost every feather over the entire bird

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Not that it matters to this administration but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Which part?  My agency frequently sends out collected news clips from media sources mentioning us, or interviews that have been given, etc.  I don't pay much attention but I think they're from legitimate news sources, I don't think Breitbart makes the cut.

6 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Which part?  My agency frequently sends out collected news clips from media sources mentioning us, or interviews that have been given, etc.  I don't pay much attention but I think they're from legitimate news sources, I don't think Breitbart makes the cut.

I'll have to go dig back through PAO regs for the fine print, and it would be DOD  most likely, but sharing news is supposed to be very closely vetted to not appear partisan.