Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I got ID checked in Richmond after a flight arriving from Fort Lauderdale in May.

One of the ones that sticks in my mind was when Trump was pushing his Muslim Ban. 

Muhammad Ali Jr, US citizen, with a US passport, arriving from the US Virgin Islands (a US territory), was stopped by ICE and detained for several hours, and questioned about his religion, and where did he get a name like "Muhammad"?  

(My response would be "You see that word 'Junior' after my name, on my passport, dumbass?")

So here is where you're losing me, and I'm gonna try to type this whole thing out - so stick with me.

I feel I should 1st start out by saying, separating families and what's going on at the border camps is appalling and wrong no matter which way you slice it.

I also believe that those crossing the border to seek asylum, have a complete right to do so. But I also think we need a formalized true definition and instruction on what qualifies as asylum.

Further, it goes without saying, that our entire immigration system needs an overhaul. We don't need to spend billions of dollars to build a wall, we need to spend the money on people, processes, and facilities to make this system work.

I also agree that the rhetoric from the president is dangerous and is being used to divide and incite violence.

And while I don't necessarily agree with the publicity and attempt to use this to further divide... ICE is doing exactly what their job is, when it comes to these "raids".

These aren't asylum seekers, these are people who illegally crossed into the United States, and we're not only caught - but tried and convicted. These persons then chose to continue to stay in the United States knowing the consequences.

While I'm sure we would love to be able to house, shelter, protect, employ, and everything else all of the people who have less than around the globe - it just simply isn't feasible.

It just isn't logistically possible, at least not right now.

I recommend for those on the extreme left to continue to focus on reuniting families, improving the situation at the facilities along the border, and lobbying for full on immigration system change. But if you continue down this path of saying those truly here illegally and convicted of such should somehow have a free pass just because everyone should be able to obtain the American dream…

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette

2 hours ago, Larry said:

One of the ones that sticks in my mind was when Trump was pushing his Muslim Ban. 

Muhammad Ali Jr, US citizen, with a US passport, arriving from the US Virgin Islands (a US territory), was stopped by ICE and detained for several hours, and questioned about his religion, and where did he get a name like "Muhammad"?  

(My response would be "You see that word 'Junior' after my name, on my passport, dumbass?")

I know I shouldn't joke, but this reminds me of the fake ID scene from Super Bad where he almost chooses Muhammad as his fake ID name.

https://youtu.be/p_AXLlpX1x8?t=35

(WARNING: contains profanity, hence the link instead of embedding)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That video Pence put out was propaganda. Even seeing a few kids watching tv he towers over them and asks questions. Like they knew what the hell a senator is. It’s coercion. Those kids aren’t going to tell a group of adults standing over them practically scolding them anything. 

Not to mention those kids were wearing winter clothes, jackets and beanies. How cold are they keeping it in there? 

That was basically a hostage video and it was disgusting. When you think those kids are there without their parents and who knows how long they’ve been without their parents it makes it even more heartbreaking and appalling 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

To those complaining about the overcrowding at our detention facilities, 

What's your proposed solution?

At the rate we're going, I assume they'll start getting their "showers".

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
Forgot a word.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Gee, maybe process these people through, find them jobs and housing and childcare is necessary. You know, treat them like the human beings they are.

The impression I get is that for the vast majority (Maybe 99%) of the people detained, "process them through" means a court appearance, asylum denied, ordered deported, next case?  

Is your proposal that we should start granting asylum (and green cards) to most anybody who asks?  

Edited by Larry

Except for criminals, yes. The way Trump and his minions treat the Dreamers is unfair also. And the service people and veterans, they should be processed through too. Let these people get on the path to citizenship and they can contribute to Social Security and Medicare. 

It's better than treating them the way we are now. We give billions in corporate welfare that just goes into already wealthy pockets, certainly we can afford to treat people decently.

39 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Cold enough to stop bacteria from growing/spreading. Same reason hospitals, airports, and prisons are typically quite chilly.

That doesn’t add up. Hospitals are kept around 65 degrees in their coldest areas like operating rooms. 

If you need winter jackets and beanies, it’s far colder than that. At this point, I don’t give them the benefit of the doubt. They’re either in those clothes to hide their malnutrition and dirty hair from the cameras or they’re purposely cranking the temperature down lower than needed as part of their cruelty. 

I guess it is nice to give them warm clothes to accommodate the cold before making them sleep on a concrete floor 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

28 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That doesn’t add up. Hospitals are kept around 65 degrees in their coldest areas like operating rooms. 

If you need winter jackets and beanies, it’s far colder than that. At this point, I don’t give them the benefit of the doubt. They’re either in those clothes to hide their malnutrition and dirty hair from the cameras or they’re purposely cranking the temperature down lower than needed as part of their cruelty. 

I guess it is nice to give them warm clothes to accommodate the cold before making them sleep on a concrete floor 

1 - I wasnt offering that as justification for the cold. I was more suggesting that would be their excuse.

2 - 65° to those used to living in 100° with no ac....they'd be cold.

28 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Except for criminals, yes. The way Trump and his minions treat the Dreamers is unfair also. And the service people and veterans, they should be processed through too. Let these people get on the path to citizenship and they can contribute to Social Security and Medicare. 

It's better than treating them the way we are now. We give billions in corporate welfare that just goes into already wealthy pockets, certainly we can afford to treat people decently.

So if every person anywhere in the world decided to move to America right now, you'd be cool with it?

And those serving the country in uniform are already on a track to citizenship. Please don't utilize our armed forces just to prove a point. It's very disrespectful. 

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette

49 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Your position is that anyone can come to America for any reason at any time and they should be granted asylum?

And why need to mention dreamers? The people being detained on the border today are NOT dreamers. Dreamers are undocumented kids that are/were already in school here in the US. The kids on the border do not meet that criteria.

Congress (all of them, from the Trump/Obama/Bush/Clinton/Bush/Reagan Administration) is responsible for immigration. They have had decades to reform the immigration process to make it more fair for people from Central and South America. The Ds and the Rs have kicked the can down the road all these years. Now the can can’t be kicked any further.