Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Heard an npr piece over the weekend where they interviewed some of the foster families the kids were ending up with. Most don’t speak Spanish. Some of these are toddlers who got ripped away from their parents and can’t understand why. One foster parent was asking advice from a social worker on how to get the kid to eat, how to bathe them because they’re so traumatized they won’t let the foster parent touch them. The foster parent’s distraught comment? “I’m just trying not to ruin this kid’s life.” 

These are *severe* human rights abuses perpetrated by the US government against children. Children of people fleeing persecution in their home countries, seeking asylum in the US because we’re the shining beacon of hope. And we’ve greeted them by inflicting severe emotional (and thus developmental) trauma on their children. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Trump is president and is beloved by his base in part because he is unapologetically defending whiteness from anything that threatens it, or at least that’s the image he wants to project. It is no more complicated than that. These immigrant children crying out for their mothers and fathers are collateral damage, pawns in a political battle to wring strict legislation out of Congress — medieval torture displays meant to serve as deterrents.

As Buchanan wrote in his book, “Suicide of a Superpower,” which got him fired from MSNBC because of its racist overtones: “White America is an endangered species.” And he chided any white person who might cheer this nation’s changing demographics:

“Ethnomasochism, the taking of pleasure in the dispossession of one’s own ethnic group, is a disease of the heart that never afflicted the America of Andrew Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt, or Dwight Eisenhower. It comes out of what James Burnham called an ‘ideology of Western suicide,’ a belief system that provides a morphine drip for people who have come to accept the inevitability of their departure from history.”

58 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Heard an npr piece over the weekend where they interviewed some of the foster families the kids were ending up with. Most don’t speak Spanish. Some of these are toddlers who got ripped away from their parents and can’t understand why. One foster parent was asking advice from a social worker on how to get the kid to eat, how to bathe them because they’re so traumatized they won’t let the foster parent touch them. The foster parent’s distraught comment? “I’m just trying not to ruin this kid’s life.” 

These are *severe* human rights abuses perpetrated by the US government against children. Children of people fleeing persecution in their home countries, seeking asylum in the US because we’re the shining beacon of hope. And we’ve greeted them by inflicting severe emotional (and thus developmental) trauma on their children. 

I said it before, if this was taking place in a "developing" country we would be seeing this covered as a human rights violation. Of course the US is no longer part of the UN Human Rights council.

2 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I said it before, if this was taking place in a "developing" country we would be seeing this covered as a human rights violation. Of course the US is no longer part of the UN Human Rights council.

Yep. The US would probably be threatened with sanctions at minimum. If this was another country in any other time, the US would demanding inspectors or UN observers.

• Like 1

I keep reading the Dems are obstructing this or that.  How can Trump with a straight face accuse them of this when the Rep party controls the White House, the Senate, and the House???  It just boggles my mind what people will believe.  

• Like 2

As a Christian, it's the problem with a majority of current Christianity as it pertains to immigrants/undocumented/refugees. People go to church and learn to love following the rules but missing the big message. Christ railed against the Pharisees who were about the rules but didn't live the essence of God's message. If you have no compassion and empathy and humanity—you've probably missed the whole point of going to church and loving God. 

At one point in the recent past, it was about the Muslims and how the Christians in Syria were being persecuted. Well, vast majority of people coming north are Christians. Are we still acting like Christians? Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship the same God but we draw such strong distinctions and use it as justification to not live as the Big Guy perscribes? 

Christians taking up for Trump who hasn't been to service in decades? For Jeff Sessions who is recently censured by the Methodist church? 

• Like 6

There has to be a middle ground here. 

Republicans want to end the policy of catching illegal immigrants at he border and then releasing them on a promise to show up for a future Court hearing. I get that. 

Democrats want a compassionate response to people who come from tough conditions seeking a better life. I get that. 

But we cant take and allow every person who crosses the border to stay here. We need tougher and more practical reforms and tougher enforcement at the border and the workplace. Open borders and automatic assimilation into our Country and its system is not a viable policy. 

This will cost a S ton of money but I think we need stronger border patrol, detention centers that can house families and then expedited hearings. I think we need compassionate federally paid immigration lawyers representing each person. Just because you have a hearing doesnt mean you will be rejected. We granted 1,183,505 "green cards" in 2016, with Mexico being the highest number of recipients. 

Immigration reform is long over due. I love Pres Obama but I wish he was the one making these tough choices that a lot of his base wouldnt fully accept .. versus ****ing trump/sessions and miller taking a sledge hammer to things.  

edit - this is somewhat Cruz' proposal and I hate that guy. My fear is that Trump will get to pick all the new federal immigration judges and it will be political. There needs to be some way of ensuring the rejection rate doesnt sky rocket under newly appointed anti-immigration immigration judges. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Yep. The US would probably be threatened with sanctions at minimum. If this was another country in any other time, the US would demanding inspectors or UN observers.

Children taken from Chibok, Nigeria school by Boko Haram = 276

Children taken from parents by the Trump Administration = 2,350

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

For people in Central America whose friends and family members are regularly getting raped and killed in gang violence, that’s still what we are to them. 

You might think Mexico could take many of them in, being spanish speaking and such, after all we certainly have taken in many from Mexico.

Give the sanctuary city folk time and it will be like the place they fled.

28 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Children taken from Chibok, Nigeria school by Boko Haram = 276

Children taken from parents by the Trump Administration = 2,350

The number of children taken from parents by the US govt is far far higher than the number you give.....as are the circumstances different.

but details don't matter when ya are rolling :bunny:

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Also, some Americans are lazy morons.

and immigrating to Mexico :)

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

..and nuance doesn't matter for you when you are trolling, twa.

Ya'll hav:headbang:e become me?....albeit a less competent one?