Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Semi-related: apparently, Europe still really hates Romani people. Like...a lot. Holy ****. 

https://www.rferl.org/amp/romany-woman-found-with-throat-slashed-in-ukraine/29332980.html

Media reports in western Ukraine's Zakarpattya region say that a 30-year Romany woman was killed in the city of Berehove amid tensions over a series of attacks on Romany community members.

The reports quote members of the local Romany community as saying that unidentified attackers slashed the woman's throat.

Ukraine's National Police said in a statement on July 2 that a woman "with injuries to her throat" was found on a street in Berehove and that medical personnel were unable to save her life. It did not name the victim or include any information about her ethnicity.

Check out that map at the bottom. Like - I knew there was a long history of discrimination against the Romani (including the U.S.) but it's apparently "en vouge" again. 

• Sad 1

Thought I'd point at this article about immigration and things, in another country.  

NYT: In Denmark, Harsh New Laws for Immigrant ‘Ghettos’

COPENHAGEN — When Rokhaia Naassan gives birth in the coming days, she and her baby boy will enter a new category in the eyes of Danish law. Because she lives in a low-income immigrant neighborhood described by the government as a “ghetto,” Rokhaia will be what the Danish newspapers call a “ghetto parent” and he will be a “ghetto child.”

Starting at the age of 1, “ghetto children” must be separated from their families for at least 25 hours a week, not including nap time, for mandatory instruction in “Danish values,” including the traditions of Christmas and Easter, and Danish language. Noncompliance could result in a stoppage of welfare payments. Other Danish citizens are free to choose whether to enroll children in preschool up to the age of six.

Denmark’s government is introducing a new set of laws to regulate life in 25 low-income and heavily Muslim enclaves, saying that if families there do not willingly merge into the country’s mainstream, they should be compelled.

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Thought I'd point at this article about immigration and things, in another country. 

Fake news.  America is the most racist, intolerant place on earth and other modern countries are a shining beacon of what we should strive to be.

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Fake news.  America is the most racist, intolerant place on earth and other modern countries are a shining beacon of what we should strive to be.

I was wondering what percentage of Americans would support a law like that.  

(Heck, what percentage of Supreme Court justices would support it.)  

1 minute ago, Larry said:

I was wondering what percentage of Americans would support a law like that.  

(Heck, what percentage of Supreme Court justices would support it.)  

Really struggling if that should get a laughing or crying smiley.

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Haven't clicked the video, but I note that the phrase "illegal immigrants and their children" means "we're counting US citizens in this statistic, so we can make the numbers scarier". 

I don't know, seems like they aren't trying to scare just inform

16 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

I don't know, seems like they aren't trying to scare just inform

Inform them about how big the numbers on illegal immigration look, if you include people who aren't illegal immigrants. 

Maybe it's me, but I can't think of another reason for presenting a statistic that way.  

Edited by Larry

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

Inform them about how big the numbers on illegal immigration look, if you include people who aren't illegal immigrants. 

Maybe it's me, but I can't think of another reason for presenting a statistic that way.  

It’s a package deal and the kids are probably the biggest burden on taxpayers. Unless you want to keep the kids and send the parents home

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

How many of you Republicans think this **** is normal?

It's a trick question, this isn't about thinking, this is a visceral appeal to baser instincts. The Rs are pandering to fear plain n simple, fears real and imagined and largely fears ginned up in a disgustingly crass and manipulative fashion for partisan advantage. You cannot have a calm, reasoned discussion with a mob running wild, it simply doesn't work.