Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

4 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Funny you should say that, I've been reading a great deal on that period lately. It mirrors in so many ways just what we are dealing with today.

Just a few landmarks in that.......

On BBC this morning

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44688337

Google the Know Nothings and their history for instance

Abraham Lincoln in a private letter to Joshua Speed written August 24, 1855

The rising tensions and social distortions of the 1850s are well documented (Gawd I love me some internet as reference source) and the records of Senate confrontations for instance echo the coming storm. Things brewed for decades and were only blown away by the Civil War.

We have set ourselves on that same path again.

This is both fascinating and petrifying. Hopefully the fact that the populous is much more informed in 2018 than the 1850s will help us change course.  

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

It almost seems like they had no plans for reunification.

To me, it seems like they're resorting to tactics that thug cops stopped getting away with in the 50s. 

"Gee, your honor, we can't seem to find that guy we arrested, that you're ordering us to release."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

It almost seems like they had no plans for reunification.

The plan is probably to put those kids up for adoption.  Google Carlos Jamison Moser adoption.  This isn't new. 

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

They didn't. They even deleted the family records of some.

Makes it easier to traffic children adopt them out to happy paying families.  If the government keeps records reporters can sue for those files.  Easier if the only records are adoption records, which are kept secret, so that no one of any consequence has a chance of actually getting any answers. 

3 hours ago, twa said:

If the DNA don;t match, what them?

Good question. Let's ask that guy you voted for. I mean, ****... I knew politicians had turned our immigration system into a broken mess but, God damn. The problems created by previous administrations weren't nearly as bad as this asshole's "solutions".

16 hours ago, twa said:

If the DNA don;t match, what them?

Investigate further, obviously.  The realities of desperate circumstances, which many of these people are seeking to escape, can result in kids being raised by a different family.  There’s also human trafficking to consider, which if true is not the sort of people we’d want to deport (read: release to steal more children).   

Also, don’t trust people that stand to profit from housing or adopting these children to handle any part of dna testing.  

Isn't it amazing about how it suddenly becomes important to determine who's kids these are (and oh, by the way, assemble a DNA database of the people involved, including the children), when the government is ordered to stop trafficking in them?  We didn't have to have no steenking DNA evidence to take the kids away from them.  Only when ordered to give them back.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Larry said:

Isn't it amazing about how it suddenly becomes important to determine who's kids these are (and oh, by the way, assemble a DNA database of the people involved, including the children), when the government is ordered to stop trafficking in them?  We didn't have to have no steenking DNA evidence to take the kids away from them.  Only when ordered to give them back.  

as usual you ignore we screen and question them to insure they are parents and guardians, and DNA tests are not new in that process.

Do you fear a DNA database?.....seems a good idea for people you lack records on or disputed records.....AND that acted to actively evade such screening in the first place.

added

this is from 2010

https://dnatesting.com/dna-testing-for-immigration-purposes/

Edited by twa

5 hours ago, twa said:

as usual you ignore we screen and question them to insure they are parents and guardians, and DNA tests are not new in that process.

Do you fear a DNA database?.....seems a good idea for people you lack records on or disputed records.....AND that acted to actively evade such screening in the first place.

added

this is from 2010

https://dnatesting.com/dna-testing-for-immigration-purposes/

Were these kids, and their parents, DNA tested before they were taken from their parents, immediately after separation ("during booking", so to speak), or after the Trump administration decided that "OK, I guess we'll return them, maybe, eventually"?