Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

I'll point out that I have found myself occasionally pointing out the moral problems with rewarding illegal immigration.  

I can be really easily triggered by the use of the phrase "law abiding illegal".  :) 

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

@PleaseBlitz I don’t think the way you minimalize being illegal is going to win over anyone for you. 

You can say say you don’t care but obviously you should, cause things are going the other way right now due to the last election. We obviously need to convince some people that immigrants are not something to fear/hate if we want things to change. 

Not everyone that has an issue with coming/being here illegally is a racist. 

I'm not trying to win over anyone.  I'm saying what I think should be done with people that are in the country and doing exactly what good citizens should be doing.  

I didn't say anyone was racist or even use that term.  

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm not trying to win over anyone.  I'm saying what I think should be done with people that are in the country and doing exactly what good citizens should be doing.  

I didn't say anyone was racist or even use that term.  

I know you didn’t say that term. I was more trying to point out there’s people who still have a problem on the other side that can be convinced (because their opinions come from somewhere other than racism)

some of of them were actually immigrants too. 

If if you don’t want to win anyone over that’s fine but you’re wrong. Unless the people who actually show up to vote changes, we need to win some more people over. 

2 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Was about to come post the US Citizen tweet.

They better hope they aren't US Citizens.  That would be a MASSIVE **** up.

Trump supporters: "Ah, they were only naturalized. Probably under false pretenses. Deport them."

21 hours ago, Larry said:

I absolutely can see the downside of a policy that says that if a criminal gets away with his crime for long enough, then he gains the right to keep committing the crime as long as he wants.  

(Or, do you look at it as though he committed the crime when he originally came here, and say that there's a statute of limitations on that crime?)  

I think it's a freaking misdemeanor that we are treating like mass murder.

Here is the statute:

Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

With ICE, the issue is that we've created a separate, militarized federal police force that is hunting down people who committed misdemeanors. It's like if we created an entire federal police force to hunt down people who don't pay parking fines.

These past few months and more, dealing with the immigration issue and other things have impressed upon me the extreme difference between people who are humanists/moralists and people who are conformists.

A lot of Republicans masquerade as moralists, but in reality they are conformists. People who are about blindly following the rules and punishing those who don't regardless of whether or not the rule violates human decency or whether or not the severity of punishment is warranted.

These same people can also be the most amoral, when there are no rules in place or when they are in the position to make the rules. These are the people who will follow any kind of order, no matter how heinous, from a recognized authority figure. They are also the ones will abuse and harm others with no qualms as long as those others are placed into a category that an authority has deemed "undesirable".

It's like they have a very weak, internalized connection to the swathe of emotions that coincide with humanity and instead operate from a fear/punishment/hierarchy based system as their main motivator and method of discernment before making a choice. There isn't a primary layer for them that decides whether a thing is right or wrong spiritually, but instead a single shallow layer that decides whether a thing is or isn't against the rules for their given station. They miss that first step, because they haven't exercised and developed the practice of making choices weighed against that spiritual guidance system.

Now of course there are degrees and extremes within a conformist spectrum, not all are the same breed. But, they are a strange breed and knowing how they operate will help a person when deciding who to depend on and allow into their lives.

47 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

These past few months and more, dealing with the immigration issue and other things have impressed upon me the extreme difference between people who are humanists/moralists and people who are conformists.

A lot of Republicans masquerade as moralists, but in reality they are conformists. People who are about blindly following the rules and punishing those who don't regardless of whether or not the rule violates human decency or whether or not the severity of punishment is warranted.

These same people can also be the most amoral, when there are no rules in place or when they are in the position to make the rules. These are the people who will follow any kind of order, no matter how heinous, from a recognized authority figure. They are also the ones will abuse and harm others with no qualms as long as those others are placed into a category that an authority has deemed "undesirable".

It's like they have a very weak, internalized connection to the swathe of emotions that coincide with humanity and instead operate from a fear/punishment/hierarchy based system as their main motivator and method of discernment before making a choice. There isn't a primary layer for them that decides whether a thing is right or wrong spiritually, but instead a single shallow layer that decides whether a thing is or isn't against the rules for their given station. They miss that first step, because they haven't exercised and developed the practice of making choices weighed against that spiritual guidance system.

Now of course there are degrees and extremes within a conformist spectrum, not all are the same breed. But, they are a strange breed and knowing how they operate will help a person when deciding who to depend on and allow into their lives.

I don't know man. The human decency and "undesirable" thing gets a little skewed on which side can take the "high and mighty" claim when talking about other hot topics....

Yeah this immigration stuff is a cluster **** though. Seems rushed...should've taken baby steps 

Edited by Gibbit

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

Trump should pay for it out of his ****ty charity. 

it is standard to require dna testing to be paid by the immigrant when they want to come legally, why should illegal crossers be exempt from paying?

Wondering which is more shocking.  

1)  That the Trump government is still using kidnapped children as bargaining chips to extort things from minor criminals.  

2)  That twa is trying to defend the practice by pointing at something that's kinda similar, in some ways.