Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

So, now we're capturing families, stealing their children as punishment, using the pressure of their kidnapped children as pressure to coerce the parents into a confession, and then keeping the kids?  

I really hope that I'm jumping to a grossly false conclusion. 

4 hours ago, Larry said:

So, now we're capturing families, stealing their children as punishment, using the pressure of their kidnapped children as pressure to coerce the parents into a confession, and then keeping the kids?  

I really hope that I'm jumping to a grossly false conclusion. 

I've been fairly confident from the outset that some of these families will never be reunited. This was monstrously evil.

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I've been fairly confident from the outset that some of these families will never be reunited. This was monstrously evil.

Yep. There's a sizeable portion of the country that won't care... They broke the law! If they didn't want to be permanently separated they should have never came here.

I'd point out that there's an obvious logical disconnect about snatching children and keeping them, and not wanting them people in your country. 

But then, the folks doing this don't have a problem disconnecting logic. 

5 hours ago, visionary said:

I don't believe them. I don't believe that they've reunited every child and parent who hasn't been deported either. Given stories that they had to resort to DNA testing to even try to find matches of kids they shipped all around the country, I don't think it's logistically possible that they untangled this mess.

More, I fully believe that this Administration feels no hesitation in lying or falsifying information. Does anyone have faith in their reports?

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I don't believe them. I don't believe that they've reunited every child and parent who hasn't been deported either. Given stories that they had to resort to DNA testing to even try to find matches of kids they shipped all around the country, I don't think it's logistically possible that they untangled this mess.

More, I fully believe that this Administration feels no hesitation in lying or falsifying information. Does anyone have faith in their reports?

do you trust the judge overseeing it?

12 minutes ago, twa said:

do you trust the judge overseeing it?

At this point I don't trust the data the judge is seeing to be accurate, so how can the judge respond? There is an element of faith involved. The judge will need proof that the government is lying as much as the government needs to provide evidence that it has complied. So ultimately I'm not sure. 

I have more faith in the judiciary, but I have zero faith that this government won't fabricate, distort, and completely invent whatever story it feels is to its benefit. After two years of nonstop lying on every issue big and small, my current faith in this Administration and its agencies is zero. More, we already know that the Secretaries and people in charge of these programs are willing to lie about them because they already have. Repeatedly.

Just now, Mad Mike said:

Big supporter of the legal system huh? I take it you trust the FBI? How about Robert Mueller?

How about him?

I have had no objection to him....does seem a bit slow, but we got time.

Amend, don't end Flores settlement

For weeks, we have worked together with our Senate colleagues in a bipartisan fashion to solve this crisis. After countless hours of discussion, we believe the path forward is a relatively simple one. First, Congress needs to make clear that the Flores consent decree does not apply to family units. The Flores consent decree and the standards of care required for unaccompanied minor children would remain in effect, but federal authorities would have the ability to keep families together pending the outcome of their immigration case.

Second, Congress needs to codify the high humane standards we expect families to be treated with while they are kept in federal custody in family residential centers. The public is right to be concerned that individuals may receive inadequate care and shelter, and Congress should ensure that no one is treated with any less dignity than they deserve.

Third, and finally, Congress should authorize and appropriate money for more immigration judges, so that cases can be adjudicated and resolved quickly. Keeping families in federal custody temporarily is an appropriate policy solution to this crisis, but only if cases are resolved expeditiously. 

Fixing these problems will end this crisis and return integrity to our nation’s lawful immigration system.

Some of our colleagues criticize these solutions and claim they would result in the “indefinite detention” of families. This simply is not true and ignores well-established facts. When families are kept in federal custody they are placed on the expedited detained docket, where most cases are resolved within about 40 days.

It is clear that a legislative fix to the Flores consent decree is the only viable solution. Such a fix will allow families to stay together and will ensure no future administration has to make the Hobson’s choice created by the Flores consent decree if another surge in illegal migration of family units occurs. We hope our Democratic colleagues will join with us to pass such a fix in the U.S. Senate. We can keep families together and respect the rule of law. We believe this is the way forward, and we know it is the right thing to do for our country.

Chuck Grassley is a Republican senator from Iowa. Follow him on Twitter: @ChuckGrassley. Thom Tillis is a Republican senator from North Carolina. Follow him on Twitter: @SenThomTillis. Ted Cruz is a Republican senator from Texas. Follow him on Twitter: @SenTedCruz.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/07/29/fix-flores-agreement-solution-immigrant-family-separation-detention-column/841342002/