Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

Someone needs to get to the bottom of these numbers.  I don't know which figure is correct, but there are at least 2 very different numbers floating around.  Does the military not publish these numbers?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2011/08/17/139699631/white-house-overstates-rural-role-in-military

So according to Bill Bishop, the number is rural america makes up 17% of the total population, but makes up 20% of the recruits in the Army (still a disproportionate burden, but obviously not as out of whack as 44%).  Now I suppose it's possible for the number to get so disproportionate with other branches of the Military that the total number of 44% of uniformed service members do come from rural areas though Army only gets 20% from rural areas.  But that seems really unlikely.  

I had never seen the number that low before.  I dont know why they are so different.  I will say that just based on experience it SEEMS LIKE rural people make up a larger part of the military, especially the Marines.

if the courts allow it then for those crossing illegally staying together is easier.

any word yet from the court?

Peoples choices force others making least bad choices.(though they are choosing from least bad choices facing them to start with)

12 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I had never seen the number that low before.  I dont know why they are so different.  I will say that just based on experience it SEEMS LIKE rural people make up a larger part of the military, especially the Marines.

Based on zero experience, I would image that rural people make up a larger part of the white men in the military.  But the military is 40% non white according to Pew Research.  

Democrats (again) almost unanimously vote against a comprehensive immigration bill.  This one, a compromise bill that would have provided a path to citizenship for millions of DACA recipients, may be the final opportunity to help them. 

1 minute ago, B&G said:

Democrats (again) almost unanimously vote against a comprehensive immigration bill.  This one, a compromise bill that would have provided a path to citizenship for millions of DACA recipients, may be the final opportunity to help them. 

And scale back legal immigration. Thanks for playing.

• Like 1

Justice Kennedy will step down in July.  Trump will nominate a Gorsuch clone before the election and he/she will be confirmed quickly by a simple majority.  Thank you, Harry Reid.  Huge win for conservatives as Justice Kennedy was the swing vote at SCOTUS.  Major implications to Immigration, Abortion, and many other issues.

Edited by B&G

40 minutes ago, B&G said:

Justice Kennedy will step down in July.  Trump will nominate a Gorsuch clone before the election and he/she will be confirmed quickly by a simple majority.  Thank you, Harry Reid.  Huge win for conservatives as Justice Kennedy was the swing vote at SCOTUS.  Major implications to Immigration, Abortion, and many other issues.

Wasn't it Mitch McConnell who changed it to the simple majority and not Reid for the Supreme Court. I know Reid switched it to a simple majority for the lower level judges so i'm not really seeing how this is Reid's fault.

10 minutes ago, mrcunning15 said:

Wasn't it Mitch McConnell who changed it to the simple majority and not Reid for the Supreme Court. I know Reid switched it to a simple majority for the lower level judges so i'm not really seeing how this is Reid's fault.

By doing so it naturally followed....as he was warned at the time.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

By doing so it naturally followed....as he was warned at the time.

Two wrongs don't make a right but I get it Dem's are always supposed to take the higher ground, but what where the Dem's to do if the other side wasn't governing in good faith and being unreasonable with their use of the filibuster. So I guess the Dem's will have to return the favor when they get the chance.

23 minutes ago, mrcunning15 said:

Two wrongs don't make a right but I get it Dem's are always supposed to take the higher ground, but what where the Dem's to do if the other side wasn't governing in good faith and being unreasonable with their use of the filibuster. So I guess the Dem's will have to return the favor when they get the chance.

seems like you are excusing one and condemning the other.

I still haven't forgotten Bork and Estrada....

1 hour ago, B&G said:

A compromise bill between GOP members in which no Dems were permitted to be involved. Facts matter. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrcunning15 said:

Pay no attention to who it was who actually voted for something. Pay attention to their claims about how someone else is responsible for their actions. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Larry said:

Pay no attention to who it was who actually voted for something. Pay attention to their claims about how someone else is responsible for their actions. 

I know that is the case but it's fun from time to time to feed into TWA's mental gymnastics.