Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

52 minutes ago, twa said:

Especially Trump tweets 

expedited is used for those here under a certain time limit no matter the location.

That time can be discretionary I believe, the ones in use now vary from under 6 months to two yrs I believe.

I guess my confusion with Trump's tweet is this.  There are already non-judicial expedited removal in certain circumstances.  The tone of the tweet seems to indicate (at least to me) that he is suggesting that the status quo is broken and we need to get tougher.  That seems to indicate several possible interpretations of his tweet

1) He is advocating for expanding expedited removal to circumstances beyond its current application (I think this is the most logical interpretation of his tweet at face value)

2) He's just trying to sound tough without really changing the status quo

3) He doesn't know that expedited removal already exists 

42 minutes ago, B&G said:

Heritage Foundation story link:

https://www.heritage.org/immigration/report/the-fiscal-cost-unlawful-immigrants-and-amnesty-the-us-taxpayer

This is from five years ago, the number is significantly higher today.

i think this is the report that was discussed in this thread last year.  Cato Institute criticized the report as well.  https://www.cato.org/blog/heritages-flawed-immigration-analysis.  It's a pretty flawed report.  

I have seen not one word from liberals in support of any plan to secure the border or to combine with Republicans to make new, fair immigration law.  Indeed, they will sacrifice a path to citizenship for 3.7 million DACA recipients to avoid doing so.  In fact, they offer the American People no plan for anything.  Their sole aim, with the assistance of the corrupt media, is to resist everything put forward by @Potus by every vile and dishonest way possible.  They have no thought of what is best for the country.....only for what appeals to their shrinking base.

As it should be, American citizens will decide later this year who is right and who is wrong in these matters.  One thing is crystal clear to me....There will be no Blue Wave.  On the contrary!

Edited by B&G
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, B&G said:

I have seen not one word from liberals in support of any plan to secure the border or to combine with Republicans to make new, fair immigration law.  Indeed, they will sacrifice a path to citizenship for 3.7 million DACA recipients to avoid doing so.  In fact, they offer the American People no plan for anything.  Their sole aim, with the assistance of the corrupt media, is to resist everything put forward by @Potus by every vile and dishonest way possible.  They have no thought of what is best for the country.....only for what appeals to their shrinking base.

As it should be, American citizens will decide later this year who is right and who is wrong in these matters.  One thing is crystal clear to me....There will be no Blue Wave.  On the contrary!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/20/us/2014-11-20-immigration.html

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Someone remind B&G about the immigration reform bills that had bipartisan support that were killed by the extreme right wing if the Republican Party. 

must not have had enough bipartisan support then.

1 hour ago, B&G said:

What politician from either party has ever opposed securing the border?  They disagree on method, not the goal.

George Will is advocating that people vote Dems because GOP is kowtowing to Trump.  You really don't think that the current GOP has problems and it's all the media's fault?