Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Is this a quote from the early 1900s?  

No, it is from me in the 1990's in the barrio here.

Little place I call home that refused to let the govt allow things to degrade further while they hide in their enclaves.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

No, it is from me in the 1990's in the barrio here.

Little place I call home that refused to let the govt allow things to degrade further while they hide in their enclaves.

LA, San Francisco, New York.... Yeah, who wants to live in those places?  Maybe if Arlington and Fairfax stop being sanctuary municipalities, they'll climb even higher on the list of richest county in the country.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s not broke(n)*, it’s exactly what we want it to be.  If we wanted to be Singapore, we’d be Singapore.  But we don’t and you don’t and we aren’t.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/15/u-s-students-internationally-math-science/

*savor the irony

Broke as in fiscally.

Though I may be working with old info and they've fixed it since. I know it was a problem a year or two ago. Tax revenue should be up now that the real estate market is on fire

(maybe "poor" is a bad word, so i swapped it...)

Edited by tshile

24 minutes ago, bearrock said:

LA, San Francisco, New York.... Yeah, who wants to live in those places?  Maybe if Arlington and Fairfax stop being sanctuary municipalities, they'll climb even higher on the list of richest county in the country.

apparently the homeless :)

15 minutes ago, tshile said:

Broke as in fiscally.

Though I may be working with old info and they've fixed it since. I know it was a problem a year or two ago. Tax revenue should be up now that the real estate market is on fire

(maybe "poor" is a bad word, so i swapped it...)

FFX County just approved a 2.9 Billion budget with per pupil spending of 15K.  Most recent number I could find was 11.7K per pupil as a national average in 2016.  Living wage minimum of $14.50 per hour for all contracted employees, 50 million for teacher pay increases, 40 million for other employees' pay increase.  13 million for increased spending on employee health care.  And if my water cooler talk is any indication, there is more appetite for increased taxes to support our schools.  I think "broke" is a bit of an overstatement.  All those teachers striking for fairer treatment?  Those jurisdictions seem to have a bit of political similarity imo.  

12 minutes ago, twa said:

apparently the homeless :)

Between the over 13 million people living in SF, LA, and NY, I'm sure some of them have housing :ols:

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

FFX County just approved a 2.9 Billion budget with per pupil spending of 15K.  Most recent number I could find was 11.7K per pupil as a national average in 2016.  Living wage minimum of $14.50 per hour for all contracted employees, 50 million for teacher pay increases, 40 million for other employees' pay increase.  13 million for increased spending on employee health care.  And if my water cooler talk is any indication, there is more appetite for increased taxes to support our schools.  I think "broke" is a bit of an overstatement.  All those teachers striking for fairer treatment?  Those jurisdictions seem to have a bit of political similarity imo.  

2 or 3 years ago they had like a 70-80 million dollar deficet and people who lived there were quite angry that 60-65% of the county taxes, in a county with very high taxes, were going to a school system that was asking for more money because it was quite broke at the time.

Like I said, maybe they've fixed it. 

I wish I could afford to live in fairfax county and send my kids to school there. They, at least recently, were quite broke though.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

9/11 radicalized rural America.  These are the fruits it has borne.

Rural america was radicalized when reconstruction ended and the fed government didn't burn down those plantations and hang those confederate traitors.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin