Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

For Melania to emerge from her customary position on the sidelines to play a critical role in reversing a major policy initiative might seem a perplexing event. But for a historian of the Middle Ages, it is part of an instantly recognizable pattern.

A near-constant in late medieval kingship was the use of the queen as intercessor. Women were conventionally ascribed softer hearts, and subjects were encouraged to appeal to the queen for mercy. The template for this role was the Virgin Mary—the paragon of intercession among medieval Christians—who was believed to sit, enthroned in heaven, at the side of her son Christ, able and willing to make appeals to him on behalf of suffering or desperate devotees. Medieval art and medieval texts customarily liken queens to the Virgin Mary, especially in the role of intercessor.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/trumps-medieval-queen/563381/?utm_source=atlfb

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Interesting, no longer available on You Boob due to Sinclair copyright.............

This law separating kids from parents since the Clinton administration.

So, the kids were are putting all over the country are also being drugged, chained, etc....  Who knows the full extent of what is really happening.

I am confused as too how long these abuses have been going on?   Have they only been occurring recently since Trump made the changes with a zero tolerance policy?  Or was these abuses occurring under Obama, Bush and Clinton also? If yes, why didn't hear about these abuses then?   I can imagine the right pouncing on Clinton & Obama, if what's going on now, happened them.  I could the GOP use that to attempt to impeach Obama over it.  If this would've happened under Bush, you know the Dems would've been tearing him apart.

So what's the truth?

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

We should care much less than we do about what First Ladies wear.  But holy ****, WTF was she thinking wearing that jacket?  If I didn't know any better I would assume those photos were some sort of Photoshop fake news.  Her career was in the fashion industry before she married Trump, so she should know better than most about the symbolism and signals that fashion transmits. 

It's like she's trolling us worse than her husband.

These are all bad people. Melania was a birther just like her husband. 

• Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

So, the kids were are putting all over the country are also being drugged, chained, etc....  Who knows the full extent of what is really happening.

I am confused as too how long these abuses have been going on?   Have they only been occurring recently since Trump made the changes with a zero tolerance policy?  Or was these abuses occurring under Obama, Bush and Clinton also? If yes, why didn't hear about these abuses then?   I can imagine the right pouncing on Clinton & Obama, if what's going on now, happened them.  I could the GOP use that to attempt to impeach Obama over it.  If this would've happened under Bush, you know the Dems would've been tearing him apart.

So what's the truth?

The truth, as near as I can suss it out, is that there was a period of time during the Obama Administration when parents decided to send their kids across the border solo with no adult company or supervision. When caught, these children were put into custody (obviously without their parents because there were no parents). This came to light and a court ruling demanded that this incarceration period couldn't last more than 20 days.

Trump is the first to forcibly separate parents from kids in this fashion. The size, scope, and method of this practice changed wholly. I don't doubt there were abuses done when Obama was President. I also suspect that most of the border control and ICE agents are the same people. Those guys don't all get hired and retrained Administration to Administration. However, what came to light came to light because it was new and was fully authorized, approved of, and encouraged by Trump's "Zero Tolerance" policy.

Edit: The idea that there were secret internment camps with thousands upon thousands of kids kept in cages, sleeping on concrete floors, and in tent cities that has been kept secret for 20 years is preposterous. The very fact that these are tent cities and not built up and established institutions tells you that this was new and slap shod and not an ongoing, regular process.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

So what's the truth?

separating from parents while in DHS custody became a thing largely after a 2015 court expansion of Flores that required them not to be held.....it has happened to some degree for ages

the drugging one hyped lately was mainly in 2015-16 (Obama).....though it has happened many places and times to some degree

W had the drugging deportees one in 2008 for example

most folk don't pay attention...at least not for long

of course you could use this example for perspective

EGRTrhyt?format=jpg&name=600x314

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’m sure I’m late to the party but did THE FIRST LADY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA show up to an illegal immigration holding camp wearing a jacket that said, “I really don’t care, do u?”.

What the **** is wrong with that ****?

No...though she did have it on when getting on and off the plane in Maryland.

So, for the law and order folks. How do you feel about the reports that the ratio of arrests have flipped to 90% Misdemeanors for first time crossing/seeking asylum and 10% Felony Arrest for things like trafficking when it used to be the other way around?

Now, we still have to see the raw numbers to properly evaluate that ratio, but it's safe to assume given the huge flip, that there will be consequences for such a drastic change in priority.

How many felony level crossings are being missed while they focus on arresting families?

Even with all the resources CBP has been given, it seems that blindly arresting anyone for breaking the law, especially when it's just a misdemeanor, does not best protect law and order. It makes more sense to do what we were previously doing, which was having a targeting priority process that focused on high level threats.

Should we have our police focus on arresting as many people as possible for jaywalking, to the detriment of going after murder, rape, and robbery? Sounds dumb doesn't it? So why are law and order folks behind this? Is it maybe because it's not about law and order at all, but something else whether ignorance, callousness, or bigotry?

Edited by Fresh8686

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well like a lot of things with this administration there are two possibilities.

1. It was intentional and evil.

2. They are the dumbest human beings in history.

Good place for:

6rZ8g8R.jpg

• Like 4