Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

One of the problems of firing from the hip is that you lack the infrastructure and foresight to do things properly. Immigration security is a huge issue with so many moving parts.

Trump believes in the magic wand theory. We saw it with his North Korean negotiations and we see it here.

• Like 1

If Melania’s visit is something she’s doing out of concern for the kids, then good.  If it’s a pre-planned photo op to convince people the kids are doing great and we shouldn’t worry....  

It reminds me a bit of when a dictator sends their wife to an area that’s been recently taken over or near a city that’s besieged to talk to local officials and get some pictures taken with citizens and their kids and some nice propaganda out.  Hopefully this is more genuine.  Although even if it is staged it could still end up helping some of the kids at least.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd back to where we started.

which was always one of the possible outcomes. it was the one i thought was least likely. shame on me for thinking someone would do something this time.

maybe next.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

I would suspect that the numbers fit closely in line with absconding rates for appearances in court, which while not the exact same thing, is similar as it goes to compliance with court orders.

Those rates sat around 5% in 2015, down from around 11% in 2010.

I saw an article I'm trying to find that showed a new program was getting absconding rates as low as 1% before it was ended.

So while we can't know for sure, I imagine it's not a massive widespread problem.

Interestng change in births.

those rates of appearing in court do not reflect the number actually leaving though,I've known several

your map has two issues, the main one being interacial/mixed ethnics couples kids are being shifted despite the kid being white as well....the other of course is birth control.

I'm a mix and how you count like me influences totals

kinda surprising Texas isn't blue there since we are already minority majority....but maybe it is how folk self identify.

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd back to where we started.

which was always one of the possible outcomes. it was the one i thought was least likely. shame on me for thinking someone would do something this time.

maybe next.

We're on pause. We'll probably end up back at where we started unless Trump goes back to separating families.

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

We're on pause. We'll probably end up back at where we started unless Trump goes back to separating families.

Yup. Which is back to where we were in April. Right back to where we started. 

Maybe Ivanka gave it gave it to her because it was raining? 

Seems weird though that Melania wouldn't have many jackets of her own or that it just happened to be this particular jacket.

Edited by visionary

Note that it says below 'unaccompanied' children, probably meaning the ones who arrived without parents (although I did read in at least one of the articles yesterday that in some cases children were retroactively designated that after separation from their parents, so it's a bit confusing)

We should care much less than we do about what First Ladies wear.  But holy ****, WTF was she thinking wearing that jacket?  If I didn't know any better I would assume those photos were some sort of Photoshop fake news.  Her career was in the fashion industry before she married Trump, so she should know better than most about the symbolism and signals that fashion transmits. 

It's like she's trolling us worse than her husband.

Edited by Dan T.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

We should care much less than we do about what First Ladies wear.  But holy ****, WTF was she thinking wearing that jacket?  If I didn't know any better I would assume those photos were some sort of Photoshop fake news.  Her career was in the fashion industry before she married Trump, so she should know better than most about the symbolism and signals that fashion transmits. 

Assuming she didn't mean anything by it. You have an army of staff who are following you around. Nobody said "maybe that jacket will send a bad message....."?

Maybe somebody did say something, but she was still pissed about being sent down there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

my brain won't let me accept that this is real and not a story from the onion

• Haha 2