Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reports: Hacktivist group Anonymous publishes names of alleged Ku Klux Klan members

@DCGoldPants

So the "ends justify the means" argument? It's in the public's interest for this to be known so the illegal method the information was obtained is of no concern?

I will point out that I absolutely agree that I will approve of illegal methods being used as the source for a news story, IF there's a good enough reason.

Fictional hypothetical: suppose that Obama is making US citizens disappear, and torturing and sometimes killing them. In some cases, simply for being political opponents.

The operation is classified.

I have no trouble at all with somebody exposing such a program. Despite the classification.

Because yes, breaking that law is a legit public good.

----------

Now, I'm not sure that this, here, is such a case.

But yes, I'm absolutely certain that SOMETIMES the ends justify the means.

If these Senators have ties to the KKK I'd guess it was from a while back *. You'd have to be a complete ****ing moron to win a Senate seat and still actively participate in the KKK. You know you'd get discovered.

* That doesn't make it any more acceptable, obviously.

Granted, we have some Senators who seemingly have been serving since the 19th Century, but frankly I think times have changed and if they joined in the 1960's or 70's plus... well, that is pretty telling (and condemning) given the way both cultural norms have changed and how our views of the Klan has changed. After all, the Klan has been a pretty hated group (except by racists) for at least the forty years.

Way back in the early part of the 20th century, maybe you could argue it was an expectation for certain people to join the Klan in certain areas of the country if they wanted to fit in or get ahead. You could even argue that some may have just been a victim of their times. They joined and acted out of ignorance and a horrible historical mindset. Being racist was a norm. Today, I don't think that excuse flies at all.

I probably phrased this horribly, but I hope what I meant comes across.

Yeah, because it was already covered.There were other posters who already pointed this out.

Nope, not really. There's one post about 7 pages that touches on some of the topics that you're flogging in here, but it is quickly dismissed and most of the blame is assigned to AshMads poor security. The thread itself is actually hilarious...we have some very funny folks here on ES. Have a look.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/390728-kslcom-cheating-website-ashley-madison-hacked-personal-info-posted/?hl=%2Bashley+%2Bmadison

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing is bull****.

Now, somebody in this thread posted a claim that supposedly, Anonymous has not released ANY names from their list. Supposedly, every place that claims to have some names, is just making things up.

Are they saying four US Senators are on their list? I really find that really hard to believe (Even if they were Democrats).  Heck I'd find it hard to believe even politicians at the Statewide level could have been members of the KKK in this day and age (Unless they were over 90 - ala Byrd). County/Local level politicians maybe and only maybe.

So you are OK with random civilians, with no oversight or regulations, violating the privacy of Americans because you disagree with their beliefs?

"OK" isn't the word for it. More like "selectively indifferent".

Seriously, I live in a country that just admitted to violating the privacy of as many civilians as humanly possibly without proper oversight or regulations because of fear of their beliefs and possibly being a deemed a threat. I also live in a country that's back to burning down Black Churches again.

It's ironic seeing the same argument from Anti-PRISM program folks I've talked to concerning "Don't do anything wrong, and there won't be anything to find" that I saw from individuals who supported the PRISM program when it finally came to light. And as crazy as it might sound, I actually want Snowden in Jail right now. There is a lot of grey in this world, some shades darker then others.

This poster used to do volunteer legal work for the ACLU.   

We are strange bedfellows  :)

We need the ACLU. I don't always agree with their chosen cause, but we need groups from both perspectives willing to fight to keep each other in check.

And not quite as strange as you think.

We need the ACLU. I don't always agree with their chosen cause, but we need groups from both perspectives willing to fight to keep each other in check.

And not quite as strange as you think.

Unfortunately we don't have the same ACLU as we had 30 years ago. They have also become "selectively indifferent." I'll try find the article from a couple of years ago, that talks about some of their older members bemoaning that change. Guess it's the times.

Unfortunately we don't have the same ACLU as we had 30 years ago. They have also become "selectively indifferent." I'll try find the article from a couple of years ago, that talks about some of their older members bemoaning that change. Guess it's the times.

Rush Limbaugh, who wanted to keep his medical records private, might disagree with you. (Well, he wouldn't agree with you publicly, of course... but still.)

I can't support this.  As much as I might detest what the Klan stands for (though like LKB, I question their relevance today) the existence of a group like Anonymous is bothersome, exposing people's personal business depending on their whims.  And I say that as someone who was busily searching the Ashley Madison list for people I knew, so I'm aware I'm a hypocrite.

This is awful.   I hate vigilante "justice"

Just want to point out that this action is far, far closer to non-violent political activism than "vigilante justice". "Vigilante justice" is an open-carry enthusiast shooting up a Wal-Mart parking lot because of a shoplifter. I think we can all agree that that is awful...at least I hope so.

The info leaked yesterday is false. The list will be revealed on Thursday.

Brilliant false release. If I was a politician worried about my name being on the list, putting out a bull**** list ahead of time that can be discredited would really help create a "reasonable doubt" in the public's eye about the authenticity of the real list.

If I land on this posters side of a privacy subject, I am OK with other posters calling me out.

I don't think you're *wrong* in your view.

I just think our society has changed enough, at this point, that you're never going to *win* this argument.

I wasn't OK with the Firefox CEO being forced to resign because he contributed to a political initiative he believes in. That seems like a terrible way for society to behave. While I enjoy people using services like Ashely Madison being outed, or people who belong to the KKK (especially people with power over society), I absolutely recognize how fundamentally that's probably a bad thing for society. Just replace KKK and Ashely Madison with something else, and you'll see people flip-flop on how important privacy is to them. Or how wrong this type of 'justice' is. If some conservative group had outed everyone that had an abortion, how do you think majority of the ES posters would react to that? Same arguments would be used on both sides. The people using them would change.

*shrug* this is the new internet world we live in. until people show they care about privacy, it's not going to change. a good indicator will be when the leading form of expressing this isn't liking something on facebook... the irony.

Admiring the number of people who seem to believe that announcing which political party Klan members used to be members of, 50 years ago, is somehow significant.

But that mentioning which party they tend to be members of, for the last 50 years, isn't worth mentioning.

Archived