Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ksl.com: Cheating website Ashley Madison hacked, personal info posted

Zguy28

Cheating website Ashley Madison hacked, personal info posted

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35580017&nid=157

NEW YORK (AP) — The parent company of Ashley Madison, a matchmaking website for cheating spouses, says it was hacked and that the personal information of some of its users was posted online.

In addition, the person or persons behind the attack are threatening to release all of the site's personal information — including its members' sexual fantasies and financial information — if the company doesn't take Ashley Madison offline, according to a prominent security blog.

Toronto-based Avid Life Media Inc. says it has had the hackers' posts — which included snippets of personal information — taken down and has hired a technology security firm. The company and law enforcement agencies are investigating.

The breach was first reported late Sunday by Brian Krebs of KrebsonSecurity, a website that focuses on cybersecurity. Ashley Madison, whose slogan is "Life is short. Have an affair," purports to have 37 million members.

More at link

As a Catholic I'm always a fan of a good shaming followed by years of guilt.  Good for the soul.  I do however wonder how many names on there are real, I can't imagine dedicated liars would forget to use an alias though I'm sure some did. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you are a Pro golfer, you don't need a service like this to find women.

True. Although, as of late, calling Tiger Woods a "pro" golfer is disingenuous. He'd struggle at a miniature golf course these days.

As a Catholic I'm always a fan of a good shaming followed by years of guilt.  Good for the soul.  I do however wonder how many names on there are real, I can't imagine dedicated liars would forget to use an alias though I'm sure some did. 

They would have to use a real name for payment information right?

The site charged for using its service. If you're using a credit card you'd have to provide your real name.

I don't know if they accepted bitcoin or paypal, but I certainly wouldn't assume majority of them were smart enough to use those.

Then you have the person that may use paypal, tied to thier firstname.lastname@gmail.com account lol.

What I do know is someone I've talked to this morning that is not currently married (and therefore has zero reason to use such a service...) wound up receiving notification from the site that his data was compromised. He can't figure out how he even wound up in the system. We're guessing a prank from a friend, or they scraped linkedin or some other site? He has no reason to use the site, and even if he did he certainly has no reason to hide from using it (he's single...), so I tend to believe him that he never signed up.

Which, if that's the case, it's safe to presume more people are in there that didn't use it. Which would suck because you'd be the one person being honest in trying to tell your significant other that somehow you accidentally signed up and there's zero chance they'll believe you.

edit: What's really screwed up is they charged some members an additional $19 to have their data erased, and apparently they never actually erased it lol. what a scam.

What?  You think her name wasn't really Ashley Madison?    I've been deceived! 

edit: What's really screwed up is they charged some members an additional $19 to have their data erased, and apparently they never actually erased it lol. what a scam.

I'm shocked that a site which exists to help people cheat would prove untrustworthy.  :D

I had quite a bit of fun on there with my Destino, Predicto and Zguy28 usernames.

I'm shocked that a site which exists to help people cheat would prove untrustworthy.  :D

It's not really that they're 'untrustworthy'

It's that sites like these consider "deleting" your information to be keeping it for themselves and no one else. Which 99% of the time fine, it's when someone steals the data that it becomes a problem.

Facebook, Google, etc are no different...

Most companies value user data as a resource even though most of them don't know how to use it as such yet, so they keep it around for some future date where they may figure out what to do with it.

In fact, I believe a lot of the iPhoto hack pictures that were released of celebrities were 'deleted' by the celebrities, but Apple's system still kept the data if you knew how to find it.

It's unfortunately just SOP these days.

Which, if that's the case, it's safe to presume more people are in there that didn't use it. Which would suck because you'd be the one person being honest in trying to tell your significant other that somehow you accidentally signed up and there's zero chance they'll believe you.

Based on the way that site promotes itself I've always assumed its a scam to get guys to sign to meet these lonely housewives who don't actually exist.  Every Mother's Day they posted their annual story about "X thousand women" creating new accounts, which just rang up my BS radar for some reason.  Let's be honest, women don't cheat at the same rate as guys and even if a housewife was feeling alone, she could easily stir something up with a single dude at the library/grocery store/home depot/bus station/work/anywhere rather than try to get some on the internet.

I had quite a bit of fun on there with my Destino, Predicto and Zguy28 usernames.

I met up with this woman from there, and she asked me if I had been practicing, because I was so much better in the sack than last time. 

I finally understand what she was talking about.  

I met up with this woman from there, and she asked me if I had been practicing, because I was so much better in the sack than last time. 

She just wanted you for your figs.  Just like they all do. 

As a Catholic I'm always a fan of a good shaming followed by years of guilt. Good for the soul. I do however wonder how many names on there are real, I can't imagine dedicated liars would forget to use an alias though I'm sure some did.

Remembering a scene from Frasier. Frasier's brother, Niles, is being divorced, and winds up hiring a sleazy divorce lawyer. (Played really well by Saul Rubinek).

Doorbell rings. Frasier opens the door, and divorce lawyer is standing there, shouting into his cell phone.

"Everybody knows you pay hookers in CASH!"

In the land of the blind ...

Archived