Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's wrong with Alfred Morris?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Curtis Martin and Emmett Smith were almost the same exact back, playing on wildly different teams.

That's why I say that. Put Morris on some of those jets teams and he goes nowhere.

I definitely disagree with this. Martin was on a couple really good Patriots teams and the Jets had some very good years behind Pennington while Martin was there. Morris has played on one of the worst teams in the league 2 of 3 years he's been here. The one good year we had he went off for 1600 yards. I would say the teams that Morris has been on have been at least as bad as the bad years Martin played for the Jets and he's churned out almost identical totals (again, with the exception of receiving). 

Moondog-- Morris is not close to a hall of fame back though man. Hes a good player. Curtis Martin from a skill set perspective was more talented and he maximized those talents into a hall of fame career.

Really kind of beside the point though. I like Morris and think hes a good player worth keeping around.

Martin may have been a better overall athlete. But Morris' production is almost identical. Which could and probably should be seen as even more of an accomplishment. It's way too early to say anything about the Hall of Fame for Morris, but I'll tell you this - it's pretty much a given that he'll have 35+ TD's and over 5,000 yards in his first 4 years. He's already in elite company as far as single season rushing totals, especially for a rookie. But look up a list of guys that have racked up 5,000+ yards in their first 4 seasons then get back to me.

But I greatly appreciate having a few guys that agree we need to bring him back!

http://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

There are 7 backs that are guaranteed more than 3 million/year. Given that the position continues to be devalued, I wouldn't be surprised if we can keep Al for 4 years at 3 million per year. I think that would be a fair amount, but I'm not his agent.

I just hope we can keep him.

No, you're misunderstanding those numbers. That's the prorated amount of the guaranteed, generally a signing bonus. It's not the amount they are getting paid, or counting vs the cap. In other words, if I gave a player a 4 year, $20 mil contract with 8 mil guaranteed, that site is calling it 2 mil guaranteed per year but they are actually costing 5 mil per.

For people who think Morris at 3 mil has much of a chance, you should be aware that  that is less than the likes of Toby Gerhart and Donald Brown get It's over a mil less per year than Shane Vereen just signed for. 

Morris at 3 mil would be great. But it would be pretty surprising.

Jones looks like Morris of old, with a little more speed. Morris just looks very flat this year.

Last year I was singing his praises, so many times he was left high & dry in our backfield, bust the tackle and turned a loss into a positive, or he just rumbled for 5-6 yards on a good run. His only failing was the lack of big play outcome, but so solid & reliable for a 4-6 yard run. This year it's totally different, so many -2, 0 and +2. 

My thought is led Jones take the load, hope he doesn't get injured, in which case at least we do have Morris.

I wonder if sitting Morris on the bench might give him some motivation to play hard. But I think they have tried that already and it hasn't worked. The engine just seems to have lost a gear...or more importantly in his case, some torque...

Maybe it's just the teams we have played...I hope...

Maybe it's just the teams we have played...I hope...

We have played some pretty mediocre run defenses along with some good ones. But we have not thrown the ball downfield very much at all. Teams are stacking the box on early downs and almost daring us to throw it deep. Apart from Ross (who only has 3 catches) all our receivers have 10 yards or less per catch.

We have to start using play action more on first down and making teams pay for walking that 8th man up. Hopefully we get Jackson back against the Jets.

I think Luavo covered alot for Lich's run blocking deficiencies. With Long in there now, Lich's run blocking has been abysmal. Sure he might help run that line in the correct assignments, but he is not big/strong enough and is getting trucked far too frequently. Neither back has been able to run out of the backfield without DY leading the way, and Thomspon has resulted in more touches because he's the fastest to the edge to avoid the pass rush. I dont know how many times we have seen Morris get the handoff with a NT or DT right in his face immediately. Nothing can be done about it now. I would probably look towards free agency next year to address it.

Additionally, Atlanta's run game looked so good running the Shanahan stretch read all game; something Morris excels at, but is rarely implemented in our power running offense. That offense is is a one-cut back's dream.

Don't look now but Morris is currently on pace for yet another 1,000+ yard season.

Averaging under 4.0 per carry and hasn't found the end zone...

Even with sharing carries this year, his production has declined every year. 

As I've said before, he's a good RB, not great.  He's replacable.  Let someone else overpay for his services.  I just hope it ain't us.  We'll be fine next year with Jones/Thompson/Redd (or draft pick). 

Morris has been effected by predictable play calling. Many times we are running him into a stacked box that is expecting the run. Our interior OL isn't strong enough yet to overcome that so too many times Morris is getting hit at the LOS or before. Also, Morris' style is effective at wearing a defense down. He is the type of running back that starts to break runs as the game goes on. The only problem is he's not getting as many of those carries later in games that fit his style. We saw it on the last drive of the Eagles game.

Morris has been effected by predictable play calling. Many times we are running him into a stacked box that is expecting the run. Our interior OL isn't strong enough yet to overcome that so too many times Morris is getting hit at the LOS or before. Also, Morris' style is effective at wearing a defense down. He is the type of running back that starts to break runs as the game goes on. The only problem is he's not getting as many of those carries later in games that fit his style. We saw it on the last drive of the Eagles game.

Very frustrating from a fan perspective and a fantasy perspective. He wasn't even on the field initially in overtime. Has he not been working on his pass catching? I would take it personal if I was deemed the #1 back but not on the field in crunch time. 

You can't evaluate any of these RBs with the terrible run blocking and predictable, boring playcalling.

before SL went on IR, we ran to the left 80% of the time and we led the league.

These "predictable" play calling posts need to stop.

Know why we predictably passed a screen to Jamison? Because it works more than it doesn't, it's where he's most effective, our go-to is injured and the 2WR in front of him had awful games.

Know what offense is predictable? The patriots.

We need more talent.

The Iggles and Falcons were both pretty good against the run.

Jets are too...

Also, can't forget that your starting LG is gone as well

Eagles were 13th against the run when we played them. They moved up to 10th after beating Saints, who fell behind and didn't run much. Saints had 21 rushes for 96 yards (4.6 average is pretty damn good). 

If you want to be called a dominant running team, you have to be able to do it against borderline top 10 run D.

The two games we had success running, came against the 32nd and 21st run D. 

Honestly, just like the Cousins type stuff for me, I don't think we have seen enough sample size to really know what Morris' future will be here.  See, when I really recall these games and the runs he gets, it's not as if there were many (or any) runs where I said to myself "damn, he's got to get more there" as if it were his fault.  He's been running into brick walls, and it's hard to blame him for that. 

I do have to agree that if the season ended today I don't think an extension would be in the cards.  He is the "football player" that SM likes, but I really don't think Gruden's offense is made for having a grinding RB.  He'd rather have ideally the 25 carries combined of either explosive dual threat RBs like Thompson (I wish we had the other 5'8'' FSU rb devonta) and then bruisers like Jones to create matchup problems.  Morris is not a "matchup problem" if your offense isn't fully committing to him as a RB.  His "matchup problem" perk is only when he gets fed the ball 25+ times a game because he's consistent and resilient so will wear down a defense.  Sort of like Demarco. And, our offense is clearly not going that way.  I think he's still a 1300+ yard back when he's a full time starter of course, but the rest of the league isn't going that way either. 

Watching him against the Falcons,, it seemed very obvious how slow he is. i could not believe it when they tried the delayed handoff to him on the first(?) series. . my goodness, that was like watching a turtle try to pull a wagon of bricks.

He's a very good cutback runner, and can usually run through the first tackle,. 

But wow..  slow. No home-run threat at all.

~Bang

Man, I love what Alfred has brought to the team over the years, but at this point, I'd be surprised if they re-signed him. I think what Bang described is not the type of RB we want in this offense. Didn't Gruden get rid of Benjarvis Green-Ellis in Cincy because of the same reason and replaced him with Gio Bernard?

Honestly, just like the Cousins type stuff for me, I don't think we have seen enough sample size to really know what Morris' future will be here.  See, when I really recall these games and the runs he gets, it's not as if there were many (or any) runs where I said to myself "damn, he's got to get more there" as if it were his fault.  He's been running into brick walls, and it's hard to blame him for that. 

I do have to agree that if the season ended today I don't think an extension would be in the cards.  He is the "football player" that SM likes, but I really don't think Gruden's offense is made for having a grinding RB.  He'd rather have ideally the 25 carries combined of either explosive dual threat RBs like Thompson (I wish we had the other 5'8'' FSU rb devonta) and then bruisers like Jones to create matchup problems.  Morris is not a "matchup problem" if your offense isn't fully committing to him as a RB.  His "matchup problem" perk is only when he gets fed the ball 25+ times a game because he's consistent and resilient so will wear down a defense.  Sort of like Demarco. And, our offense is clearly not going that way.  I think he's still a 1300+ yard back when he's a full time starter of course, but the rest of the league isn't going that way either. 

I disagree since we know pretty much exactly who Morris is. He's a very solid-to-good RB. With Cousins, we still need time to evaluate him. 

The issue with Morris isn't his ability or if he's established, it's the position he plays. With very few exceptions, it makes no sense to pay a premium for a RB. Jones and Thompson have looked just as good running the ball this year. The fact is, you need to find a SPECIAL player to consider paying for a second RB contract. 

I would ride Jones and Thompson after this season and then once again look to draft someone to groom in a year or two. 

I disagree since we know pretty much exactly who Morris is. He's a very solid-to-good RB. With Cousins, we still need time to evaluate him. 

The issue with Morris isn't his ability or if he's established, it's the position he plays. With very few exceptions, it makes no sense to pay a premium for a RB. Jones and Thompson have looked just as good running the ball this year. The fact is, you need to find a SPECIAL player to consider paying for a second RB contract. 

I would ride Jones and Thompson after this season and then once again look to draft someone to groom in a year or two. 

Well, what I really meant about not having the sample size wasn't his past production giving us the obvious indication that he's a good/very good RB that can handle 275 carries a season, it was really more in regard to this particular system this year with a more pass oriented offense that we are getting a full 16 games to see, how matt jones fares in terms of production and ball security, as well as Thompsons ability to contribute.  Should have clarified that more.  If jones can't give us 3.5 YPC, and keep the ball, and thompson returns to getting deer in the headlights when he's on the field like he had in years past, are contributing factors, in my opinion, of offering him a small yet fair extension.  

But yes, I essentially agree that he's not worth it to be resigned based on what I've seen thus far as well. I just think something could change along the way so he gets a bit more time to prove otherwise.

But yes, I essentially agree that he's not worth it to be resigned based on what I've seen thus far as well. I just think something could change along the way so he gets a bit more time to prove otherwise.

Nice post...I think my larger point is that I don't really know what I could see that would make me think we need to give this guy a lot of money. I suppose if he turned into AP over the final 10 games, then you'd have to consider it but I just hate the idea of investing in a RB.

Listening to Clinton Portis on Cooley's show yesterday..  he makes some excellent points.

Alfred needs to carry carry carry. Let him pound the defense and then by the mid 3rd qtr you can start to mix it up and bring in freshness that can cook with speed.

It makes sense.. but the defense will have to keep us tight in the game to be able to do that consistently enough for it to be effective.

Now the other side of the coin is what Atlanta is doing,, which is pass pass pass, then pounding Freeman in the second half. It's been very effective.

So i'm not sure at the moment. It's easy to say he hasn't been effective, but at the same time, there is reason in that he needs carries to beat on the defense to become more effective than he has been.

He can't get to the edge, that much is clear. And we seem to be doing a lot of sweeps and stretch runs in comparison to between the tackles.

So let's beat him on the linebackers.. let him smash them up through the middle for a while, and then try Jones to the edge.. see if they can retain speed enough to catch him after Almo has been punishing them.

~Bang

One thing I don't understand is how come we can't have both players on the field at the same time... A Mike Alstott/Dunn combo that dominated in Tampa for years, producing two running backs with 1,000 yards each? I mean can't Jones be the factor back and Morris be the pounder? Sometimes I feel we limit our imagination to positions. As if you can only start one RB at a time. Move JONES to FB if you have to but getting these two special backs on field at the same time would be the best option. Teach Jones to block if you have to. If we can figure out that trick them I think resigning Morris at 6 mil a year makes sense. But if all we do is ride one back at a time then yeah let Morris go. It would be as stupid a move as New England cutting Curtis Martin in the prime of his career then watching him pound teams for years as a Jet.

Because that type of lineup has worked exactly once since the 1980s......

I can't imagine how happy defensive coordinators would be to deal with two running backs instead of 5 wide receivers.

Listening to Clinton Portis on Cooley's show yesterday..  he makes some excellent points.

Alfred needs to carry carry carry. Let him pound the defense and then by the mid 3rd qtr you can start to mix it up and bring in freshness that can cook with speed.

It makes sense.. but the defense will have to keep us tight in the game to be able to do that consistently enough for it to be effective.

Now the other side of the coin is what Atlanta is doing,, which is pass pass pass, then pounding Freeman in the second half. It's been very effective.

~Bang

I think at this point, most teams pass to get a lead and then - if they are effective at it - run to ice the game. But I don't think the game can be iced at this point. In 2015, Seattle can't hold a 17 point second half lead.

I think the next evolution in the sport is going to be the slow elimination of running backs.

Am I the only person who is relieved when an opponent calls a running play now? It's like they took the play off.

Interesting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/10/16/fantasy-football-must-sit-redskins-rb-alfred-morris/

Fantasy football must sit: Redskins’ RB Alfred Morris

It wasn’t long ago the running game was supposed to be the Redskins’ strength, but it has now turned into a liability.

The Redskins are ranked 27th in Football Outsiders’ power success (45 percent) — the percentage of runs on third or fourth down, with two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown — and get stuffed behind the line of scrimmage 21 percent of the time. Plus, they have the 20th-most second-level yards, 1.07 yards per carry earned between five to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

According to Pro Football Focus, Alfred Morris only had 14 snaps in Week 5 despite getting the start, finishing behind both Chris Thompson (26) and Matt Jones (21) and barely seeing action late in a close game.

Archived