Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's wrong with Alfred Morris?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Agree totally. The one qualifier I'd make is I'd still like to see if I can get Denver to overpay for him in a trade. They need to get that running game going and the system they're running is obviously perfect for Morris. Seems like a good opportunity to try for a mini-fleecing.

It's one of our only positions of depth and the other two are major injury concerns. We don't have another back.

I feel like all the people declaring Matt Jones as the heir apparent are fools.  Sure, when he gets to the second level, untouched, he looks great and fast.  All I see is a Marion Barber clone.  He looks impressive with what looks like a violent style...but I think it's a very weak imitation of Marshawn Lynch.

I have two major issues with that graph.  First, it takes an average of ALL players, not just those that are top players.  Second, it bases success on the number of yards rushed, rather than the average per carry.  Statistics and data are great, but its really either deceiving or meaningless unless you have the judgement to properly interpret it.  I would like to see how that data stacks up for the best backs.  The problem is journeyman running backs very likely show up, and are used up, and then cast aside once they want a bigger contract.  Of course players that arent good enough arent going to run for 1000 yards at 29, they probably arent even in the NFL except as say, a third option.  Alfred Morris has NOT been an average back, he has been a top 5 back.  So then the question is, do TOP running backs see that kind of drop?  The Vikings wouldnt have much of a chance this year without the incredibly old Adrian Peterson.  The Seahawks have ridden over 27 Marshawn Lynch for the past 2 seasons.  If they had just looked at this graph and made a decision they would have missed out on 2 of the more dominant years of his career.  Matt Forte at 29 is the only offense the bears have, and has still put up over 1000 yards in the past 2 seasons.  So has  Frank Gore, and Justin Forsett.

Taking the success of the average NFL player does not help you make a wise decision about a top NFL player.

It is odd to see somebody complain about a graph that uses yards as a metric then write a post largely based on yards.

One thing I don't understand is how come we can't have both players on the field at the same time... A Mike Alstott/Dunn combo that dominated in Tampa for years, producing two running backs with 1,000 yards each? I mean can't Jones be the factor back and Morris be the pounder? Sometimes I feel we limit our imagination to positions. As if you can only start one RB at a time. Move JONES to FB if you have to but getting these two special backs on field at the same time would be the best option. Teach Jones to block if you have to. If we can figure out that trick them I think resigning Morris at 6 mil a year makes sense. But if all we do is ride one back at a time then yeah let Morris go. It would be as stupid a move as New England cutting Curtis Martin in the prime of his career then watching him pound teams for years as a Jet.

I think its going to come down on what team we want to be.  You guys saw this past Sunday with the game on the line, Gruden trusted Morris to run the ball and he delivered.  I think if we want to be a running team, big tough etc, Morris has to stay and Jones can split the carries with him. This way Morris is fresh and so is Jones.

Its funny how everyone is saying RBs are not as important in the league anymore, yet the past two years Seattle has won a superbowl and should have won another precisely with a great RB and great defense.  The league has done everything to make QBs and WRs and scoring fast the norm but push comes to shove the team that should have two SBs in a row is the team we are trying to be.

Why not offer Morris the average of the top 5 contracts for backs in the league?  The guy has given you so much these first four years for peanuts, and I believe will continue to do so for at least then next two to three years.  

I think age & drop-off factors into a potential contract for Alfred Morris, but it does not necessarily lead to the mandate that we lose him.

That is, productive free agents around 26 or 27 typically get paid, but how much is relevant to their position. The kind of market a RB will generate, especially one with perceived weaknesses -- despite great running, Morris isn't known for his pass catching or break away speed, and some (foolish) GMs may even feel he's the product of the Shanahan system and won't work in their own systems -- is probably going to be around $3.5- to $4.5-million per year depending on the contract length. I won't be surprised if McCloughan feels that's a fair investment for a durable, productive, homegrown player.

The only problem I see is if somehow another team values Morris even more highly, and outbids us with a $5 million per year offer. But I don't think that's likely.

He's been dropping off already, look at his numbers. They've declined each year. He's not on the upswing. We'd be paying him hoping he reverses the trend. Have we seen the best of him already?

Give Morris a top 5 contract in the league?  WHAT???!!! 

He's completely overvalued by a lot of people on here.  Declining #'s...soon to be 27...etc. 

Look, he's a great guy and a good player.  But he's not an elite back deserving of top 5 money at the position.  He'll most likely be overpaid after this year, but I hope it's not from us. 

Team will be fine next season with Jones/Thompson/______ (redd/draft pick/free agent). 

I think with the game on the line, we are going to be seeing more of Thompson. To be honest, I was surprised to see Morris out on that final drive. After tough sledding, and it being a likely pass situation.... Gruden looks pure genius for feeding him the ball for those 2 big runs to open up the drive, and probably put Philly on their heels, and help comfort the King.

Of the week. Kirk.

Was it Carriker that tweeted that Morris needs to be extended? Maybe I'm wrong, but if so, I thought that was an interesting take from a player's perspective.

I'm in the middle here - I don't think Morris is easily replaceable and I do think he deserves to be paid... but I'm not sure if the economics of the situation (would) make sense for the team.

It would be great if there were a way to recognize what he (as both a player and person) has meant to the team/fans. Ring of honor/legacy type of thing.

I mean there is only one ball on the field lol.

And neither is a receiving threat

Jones is a blocker and receiver.

Morris spent the off-season with Kirk, at camp as his receiver and has improved a ton. His blocking has also improved.

http://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

There are 7 backs that are guaranteed more than 3 million/year. Given that the position continues to be devalued, I wouldn't be surprised if we can keep Al for 4 years at 3 million per year. I think that would be a fair amount, but I'm not his agent.

I just hope we can keep him.

that's what I said the other day. He can be the best $3 mil back up in the league or the worst $6 mil starter.

I think one of the most overlooked things in the NFL, especially when guys get bigger contracts is durability. Sure, it gets considered when a guy is coming off an ACL or something else season ending. But I'm talking more about routinely missing 3-4 games per year. That's a quarter of the season people. 

Look around the league. Marshawn is out for the second straight week. McCoy is out 3-4 weeks. Hell, AP missed an entire season for something off the field that had nothing to do with injury. Look no further than our own team. We've been decimated by injuries at several positions. Breeland was suspended. Now Culliver's hurt. DJax, aside from a handful of snaps and 1 target, hasn't played this year. The list goes on and on. 

Morris is an excellent back who has worked hard to improve in other areas of his game. This is a guy who has overachieved his whole career and no one is going to outwork him. You never have to worry about him missing time due to off the field stuff. He is only 26 years old. You simply cannot let a RB get away that has been as productive as any RB in the league and as durable as any player. He's not going to cost $10 million/yr and you know every penny you pay him will be well spent because he's going to be on the field producing. 

Jones is a blocker and receiver.

Morris spent the off-season with Kirk, at camp as his receiver and has improved a ton. His blocking has also improved.

that's what I said the other day. He can be the best $3 mil back up in the league or the worst $6 mil starter.

No way he's playing for 3 mil next year and very little chance he's a back-up anywhere.  $6 mil is what he's going to ask for and in two years it will feel like Costco just had a liquidation sale when DeMarco is counting the same 5-6 against the Iggles' dead-cap.

Salary cap projected to sky-rocket the next few years and football players like Almo are invaluable. 

Moondog-- you hit on the very point I was going to make. As the years have piled up and I've gotten older the more value I see in a guy who's available and how much that means to a team. Being a skins fan has allowed for great understanding of what lack of continuity does to a team.

Morris is a poor man's Curtis Martin or Emmit Smith.

Never flashy, just keeps working. He's one of my favorites, but when Jones puts it together (higher knees, lower shoulders, stops fumbling), he becomes the starter on almost every team.

Durability is a factor too (as you know). Morris hasn't had any injuries and that has helped him be the high level player that he is, though obviously there's no guarantee that continues. But yes, talent-wise Jones almost certainly has a higher ceiling.

Morris is a poor man's Curtis Martin or Emmit Smith.

Never flashy, just keeps working. He's one of my favorites, but when Jones puts it together (higher knees, lower shoulders, stops fumbling), he becomes the starter on almost every team.

I'll buy Emmitt Smith for sure. But pray tell how Morris is a "poor man's" Curtis Martin? I see those two as almost completely identical both in production and in ability. The ONLY argument to be made is Martin's production in the passing game. 

I think it's so frustrating too that people get so caught up in this bogus idea of "regression" with Morris because they look at the stat of yards per carry. He's been on one of the worst teams in the league with the exception of his rookie year. Is it any wonder that his yards per carry dropped when the read option was no longer a threat and our passing game completely vanished? People here (and this is NOT directly in reference to you Koolblue as really only the poor man comment was directed at you) are so eager to praise consistent backs that pump out yards from other teams or historical players but lack the simplicity to see that player right before their eyes. Morris is worth every penny of a $5-6 M/yr contract that is team friendly on the back end (the ability to trade or cut him in year 3-4 wouldn't hurt us significantly) because you KNOW that 1) He will produce at that level and 2) He will be on the field and 3) He will continue to work his ass off to get better and be a leader/mentor to younger players. 

Fans get upset that he's not "improving" statwise each year. Reality check, guys do not churn out 1600+ yards each year. Instead, fans need to realize Morris has been absolutely outstanding and will continue to be so and be happy that he consistently pumps out 1200 yards and 7-8 TD's per year (DESPITE goalline carries routinely being stolen by DY and now Jones) rather than be a guy like Chris Johnson or DeMarco Murray that everyone gushes over because of some HUGE year but then fades into obscurity almost immediately. Yes, I know Johnson is playing once again but look at THAT guy's regression in ypc and how much he immediately dropped off. Murray is still young but he's always been hurt and has had one good year now looks like a complete waste of money. 

You reward guys that work their asses off, are great leaders and have consistent production. Mostly because you know they will continue that production or increase it. This includes guys like Trent, Niles Paul, Kerrigan, Keenan Robinson, etc. And yes, it absolutely includes Alfred Morris. 

Moondog-- Morris is not close to a hall of fame back though man. Hes a good player. Curtis Martin from a skill set perspective was more talented and he maximized those talents into a hall of fame career.

Really kind of beside the point though. I like Morris and think hes a good player worth keeping around.

Archived