Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's wrong with Alfred Morris?

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Morris isn't really a RB that can carry you. He's really good as a secondary option, like he was as RG3's partner in crime in 2012. He needs to sign with a team that has a good passing game and he'd really shine.

He'll be a perfect fit in Denver next year running that zone stretch again. Nobody will stack 9 in the box against Manning.

I don't think Morris is awful, but he is clearly the least talented of our three backs.

What he has going for him are track record, durability, and reliability. But in what is now obviously a rebuilding year, its time to see what some of the younger guys can do.

I don't think McC looks at Morris as a guy he absolutely must resign, although in fairness, I don't think there is ANYONE on this team that is an absolute must keep going forward(even Keenan Robinson has looked terrible two games in a row).

I don't think Morris is awful, but he is clearly the least talented of our three backs.

What he has going for him are track record, durability, and reliability. But in what is now obviously a rebuilding year, its time to see what some of the younger guys can do.

I don't think McC looks at Morris as a guy he absolutely must resign, although in fairness, I don't think there is ANYONE on this team that is an absolute must keep going forward(even Keenan Robinson has looked terrible two games in a row).

Breeland. 

Breeland. 

Breeland is good but absolute must keep good? No. I think he's a solid #2 CB who we tend to overrate because of the lack of talent on this team. Even with all his takeaways today he gave up quite a few plays to Marshall. With that said I do like him a lot and he should start over D Hall full time.

This is the second week in a row I've seen what feature backs are supposed to do against good run defenses (if it doesn't work up the middle, prove you can get around the edge and do something). "Our lead man" is officially looking like a 6th round draft pick, and it is killing us.

This is the second week in a row I've seen what feature backs are supposed to do against good run defenses (if it doesn't work up the middle, prove you can get around the edge and do something). "Our lead man" is officially looking like a 6th round draft pick, and it is killing us.

Good point

What is clear about the last two weeks is that we have nothing close to a good RB

We should really be running Morris into the ground if we don't intend to keep him, then let someone else overpay him to some degree. Advantage us both ways, if we're not winning games anyways. Keep the younger cheaper guys healthy, get them touches to learn but use Morris up instead of getting someone we intend to keep hurt.

The other team knows

The other team knows we can't throw the ball. It's easy to stop the run when that happens. I'm surprised it took teams until week 5 to figure that out.

We knew it was coming most of the day today. So no, it's not "easy". You could not be more incorrect.

I would like to see Darrell Young blocking for Morris more often.  I am sure it depends on formations but when we are ahead at any time we should run frequently and when the run is successful then set up the pass.  The two substitute linemen today could not block so they ended up throwing too much.

Good point

What is clear about the last two weeks is that we have nothing close to a good RB

Morris is a great guy, but he was a product of Shanny's zone blocking scheme and a huge beneficiary of the read option.  There was a play today, a sweep to the outside, where he had daylight and basically any starting back in the league picks up the first down.  Morris looked like he was stuck in molasses and got tackled after a gain of 7.  Should have been a gain of 10-14.  I don't have any particular issue with morris other than the fact that I think he's a bad fit in this run offense (which leaves a lot to be desired anyway).

I don't care either way if we keep Morris or not. But I would like to point out that the team haven't been able to run the ball with any of the backs the past four weeks. Giants, Philly, Falcons, and Jets all pretty much shut it down. Today was expected, especially with three starters missing on the OL. 

I'm not sure what some of you guys expected from the running game today. Let's be realistic, the OL haven't been good at run block for whatever reason for any of the backs. 

I think run blocking is a bigger issue than running back talent. I'm no expert but I can see holes and I can see when a running back first encounters a defender. I can see where the line of scrimmage is and of our backs get to it accelerating into the next level or if they are bracing for impact. I don't think the line has been winning the battle like they did the first two weeks.

Yep.

Going forward I'm ready to see a heavy dose of Jones & Thompson.

Younger, faster & cheaper.

What would give me some hope about the LONG-TERM direction of this team under McCloughan would be seeing him move some guys before the deadline (unless that's passed already). It would be great to see that we got some value for Morris in a trade to a RB-needy team that has a shot at the post-season. 

To me, one of our biggest weaknesses over the past 20 years is the unwillingness to part with expiring contracts or guys who weren't going to be around for the long haul. I still never understood why we didn't try to trade Cooley in 2009 (when Davis was emerging and Cooley was still a good player). 

Morris has seen his production decline every season since 2012. That's not a guy you pay or give significant touches in a lame duck situation. The guard needs to change - both Thompson and Jones have shown some promise and they should be getting the lion's share of the touches. 

Morris is a great guy, but he was a product of Shanny's zone blocking scheme and a huge beneficiary of the read option.  There was a play today, a sweep to the outside, where he had daylight and basically any starting back in the league picks up the first down.  Morris looked like he was stuck in molasses and got tackled after a gain of 7.  Should have been a gain of 10-14.  I don't have any particular issue with morris other than the fact that I think he's a bad fit in this run offense (which leaves a lot to be desired anyway).

I remember that play and thought the exact same thing when he got tackled. Right there on that play you saw why I think this coaching staff really doesn't like Morris.

Archived