Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Is it weird for anyone else to see Cousins face on the front page of the Redskins site along with Kerrigans. That should propably tell us something right there. The team believes in the guy. And we probably should as well. He took a monumental step forward today. 15 plays 90 yards. A thing of beauty. Gruden is building his QB right now. 

Kerrigan actually he been a bigger disappointment to me then Cousins thus far. Cousins did ok for what is expected of a starting QB today. I give most of the credit to Garcon on that TD catch though, helluva catch and risky throw. 

What Cousins did do, that I didn't expect is win a game without much semblance of a running game for most of the game. Even if it was against a dysfunctional eagles team, I didn't really believe he could win without alfred and matt carrying the load, and even though alfred turned it on the end, Cousins still didn't **** up at least. 

Nobody has been able to even slow down the Falcons receivers, much less then stop them. Cousins and the offense is going to have to hog the ball again and time of possession to  have a chance to win this one. This would be a huge win for the Redskins if they could pull this off, but I don't see that happening. This Atlanta offense and team has been together for many years and are gelled, while we are not even a year old with our starters playing together. That's why we needed this victory today, hopefully the rest of our division will lose next week.

I'm already cringing at what will happen vs the Redskin's secondary which really got exposed today.  You know Kyle has had this game circled all year.  Another case of Snyder's ill treatment of a coach that comes back to haunt the Redskins.  Hell, even Hanktime went off today.  Next week feels like a woodshed game.  Best hope is that McVay knows enough to help the Defensive staff to minimize the damage. I'd be shocked if Kyle wasn't made the Head guy at the university of Texas next year.  Of course, he'll probably have his choice of jobs next season.   

Kerrigan actually he been a bigger disappointment to me then Cousins thus far. Cousins did ok for what is expected of a starting QB today. I give most of the credit to Garcon on that TD catch though, helluva catch and risky throw. 

And what would your opinion be if Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady made that throw? 

I'd say Cousins has had two really good games, one average game, and one terrible game. Now the terrible game was on a Thursday Night, which has always been a tough spot for even established QBs, so it may end up being an aberation.

I really want to see this offense with Jackson, but now it looks like Reed may be out as well. Fully health though and allowing Cousins to just sling it he could put up big #s.

And what would your opinion be if Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady made that throw? 

That it is still a risky throw and most of the credit ought to the receiver for making a play. I don't glorify QBs unless it is obvious they deserve the praise. Kudos for making it. Glad we got the W, but I'm not going to ascribe Kirk any more credit then he deserves on that throw. Kirk managed that DRIVE well, although some of it attributed to morris but that TD was mostly Garcon. Kirk made it possible, so he gets credit for giving Garcon a chance. 

What kind of bugs me about that play is the double standards of the refs. Garcon got popped in the head and nothing. If things were to go awry in that play, the team should have deserved another chance. 

I'd say Cousins has had two really good games, one average game, and one terrible game. Now the terrible game was on a Thursday Night, which has always been a tough spot for even established QBs, so it may end up being an aberation.

I really want to see this offense with Jackson, but now it looks like Reed may be out as well. Fully health though and allowing Cousins to just sling it he could put up big #s.

Now this is true, I do imagine things ought to open up for Kirk when Desean hopefully returns. I don't really love Kirk's long ball but at least the opportunities ought to be more plentiful with DeSean opening things up. So here is hoping to both Desean and Jordan's health. 

Now this is true, I do imagine things ought to open up for Kirk when Desean hopefully returns. I don't really love Kirk's long ball but at least the opportunities ought to be more plentiful with DeSean opening things up. So here is hoping to both Desean and Jordan's health. 

Well Cousins hit Jackson a few times last year on big deep shots.

Right now the offense is just really....boxed in. Not a lot of open space downfield. Even when we make plays it seems like defenders are just draping us. With Jackson the entire field opens up. Cousins would have an easier time attacking the middle of the field which is something he's always been able to do.

My point is in the NFL players don't get wide open very often.  Well, unless they're going against our secondary.  :angry:  There are many times where QB's have to take a chance and just let it rip.  You have to trust that your guy will make a play.  Every good QB has made risky throws.  It's part of the game. 

Cousins put the ball only where Garcon could catch it. He deserves some of the credit. I mean part of playing QB is putting it where only your guy can get it.

I mean watch Matt Ryan. Half his throws seemingly are just jump balls to Julio Jones.

Garcon was the only one who could catch it because he's a tough SOB. Had he had alligator arms... I don't know if that play goes as well. The end result is great however. 

Also I think you are exaggerating about Ryan. Julio Jones is great but he doesn't have to be Odell out there for Ryan in order to be effective.  

Cousins did very well.  Throwing 46 times with no INTs is a legitimate accomplishment for him, and that's not a back-handed compliment; combined with that last drive and TD, there's some real growth by him.  He needs to maintain it, but so far so good.  He hasn't transcended game manager status, but if he can become an Alex Smith-esque level guy, Kirk could really hold down the position for a few years.

I'm getting ahead of the game, but he looked good this week.  Hopefully it continues.

What Cousins did do, that I didn't expect is win a game without much semblance of a running game for most of the game. Even if it was against a dysfunctional eagles team, I didn't really believe he could win without alfred and matt carrying the load, and even though alfred turned it on the end, Cousins still didn't **** up at least. 

Wow.  It sounds like you had actual physical pain when you typed this.  I hope the recovery goes well.

Sheesh.

This was a good game for Kirk for sure. Up until now,to me,it's been Kirk just being Kirk,which is not a great thing,(keeping in mind that I'm a cynic when it comes to Redskins QB's).  That last drive however,wasn't. That was some big time there. Good,patient playcalling and some darn nice execution by the young man. Nicely done. I want to see more of this,(well,maybe not the nail biting part ;) ). 

Cousins put the ball only where Garcon could catch it. He deserves some of the credit. I mean part of playing QB is putting it where only your guy can get it.

I mean watch Matt Ryan. Half his throws seemingly are just jump balls to Julio Jones.

Warhead that is my answer to anyone that comes up with how "average" of a game Cousins played today.  I wonder how Matt Ryan would look if he didn't have Julio Jones... Oh wait didn't that happen last year I think when JJ was hurt and Matt Ryan looked very ordinary at best?  And we are asking what of Cousins in his13th carrier start?  oh play without DJ, play with basically one TE that today got hurt, play with a few new WRs like Cowder, Grant and Ross (nice long ball to Ross today, but a little short) etc.  Tell you what, I will take Cousins over several QBs in the league today.  And he only is going to get better with these type of games.

Why does game manager get such a bad rap?

Big Ben was basically a game manager when he won his superbowls, he is a star QB now but overall his team is worse

Brady was basically a game manager in his early years when winning superbowls but in his prime they won less as its to do much without a D

All things considered perfect game for what we want from Kirk, we rely on the D & run game but if needed he can step up, still dont want him carrying a team

Kudos to Garcon for being able to pull in that pass. If he had dropped it, talk around here would be quite different.

Good to see Cousins developing. Being able to make a comeback, game winning drive is a huge notch to put on his pistol. I won't heap too much praise on him yet, because the Giants game was a lesson about high expectations, but it's a good sign. Being able to take over the game is a must for him, and today, he showed he CAN do it. Let's hope he does it again if he needs to.

Courtesy our Breaking News thread, I'm checking out some reports which the Philly Press are writing, about the game. 

(Ain't I a stinker?) 

And I come across this story and passage: 

PennLive - In another debacle, Philadelphia Eagles lose to Washington Redskins: 5 takeaways

4. Kirk Cousins does a Joe Montana impersonation.

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins entered the game reeling and exited it with a comeback win. Philly's D, certainly geared to focus on run-stopping, mustered just one sack.

Cousins responded to the lack of pressure with a Joe Montana impersonation. He completed 31 of 46 passes (67.4 percent) for 290 yards and one touchdown and directed the epic late drive in Joe Cool fashion.

i somehow don't think we're going to see Kirk compared to Joe Montana very often.  And certainly not by people who cover the Eagles.  So I figured people might want to bask in it.  For a while. 

he stares down receives too much. i'm honestly surprised the eagles secondary couldn't figure it out, we call could watching him after the snap.

otherwise really liking what he's doing. needs time, and help from the other positions to mature.

Cousins needs more reps. I think he's improving.

We need to draft a tall/elite WR next year and this offense would be on a different level.

I'd consider Jackson to be elite, but not tall.  We're not the Patriots so I suppose we do need some more tall people.  

Why does game manager get such a bad rap?

Big Ben was basically a game manager when he won his superbowls, he is a star QB now but overall his team is worse

Brady was basically a game manager in his early years when winning superbowls but in his prime they won less as its to do much without a D

All things considered perfect game for what we want from Kirk, we rely on the D & run game but if needed he can step up, still dont want him carrying a team

WTF?

Hell, he was a game manager in 2008 when they won their second SB in the Big Ben era.  Let's not go overboard.   Brady was more than a game manager after the first year because being super clutch is not what 'game managers' do, it's what great QBs who elevate a team with extremely limited offensive personnel who are in their 2nd-4th years do.

Cousins needs more reps. I think he's improving.

We need to draft a tall/elite WR next year and this offense would be on a different level.

I keep saying the same thing!  Where is his Julio Jones,  AJ Green, or -gag- Dez Bryant?  Reed is a big body guy who runs very good routes but you don't see him go up to get the ball.  That's the weakness that McCloughan will have to address because it really hurts in the red zone where there isn't much room to throw. 

I heard Kirk talking about his analysis of his game last year vs Philly.  Stat wise he was the talk of the league.  He was hard on himself and remarked about how much he has learned since then.  It's obvious this year even after a mistake.  He doesn't get down on himself anymore.  His understanding of protection and his post snap analysis is dramtically better. 

Did anyone else catch the exchange between Kirk and and Scot McCloughan after the Rams win a couple weeks ago?  I think he has the confidence of the GM and that will go a long way towards giving him some confidence that he won't have to look over his shoulder all year. 

Archived