Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Republican state senator Kelli Stargel lectured her fellow Florida lawmakers and constituents during a special session Saturday, taking to the floor to deliver a speech in which she advocated against gun control, against banning assault weapons, against allowing local towns and cities to make their own laws to restrict guns, while arguing in favor of arming teachers. Senator Stargel also attacked those who mock the “thoughts and prayers” she offers when there is yet another mass shooting.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/watch-florida-republican-tells-colleagues-thoughts-prayers-defense-evil/

It seems painfully unfair that hundreds die in traffic accidents every day and none of them are her..............

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Everyone needs to watch the John Oliver piece on the NRA and NRATV tonight.

Will do.  I think he's the new John Stewart (leader of political satire in this country).  Bill Maher is just too much of an **hole and Trevor Noah is just too fresh to all this.  Everyone else is just playing catchup.

23 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Aaaaand now coming out of Bowie’s brain... The **** emoji.

my videos straight up prove what I said. How ignorant are people that they cant tell the difference between planned out speeches and spontaneous fear?

its so obvious.

Man seriously injured after accidentally shooting himself at Davenport gun show

DAVENPORT, Iowa (KWQC) — Police say a West Liberty, Iowa man was seriously injured after accidentally shooting himself at the Davenport gun show Sunday afternoon, March 4 around 1:36 p.m.

After a preliminary investigation, police say the 42-year-old man had a 'negligent discharge of his personal firearm' while seated in his vehicle at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds. They say the man sustained a serious and potential life-threatening injury.

Five-year-old Chicago boy shot for second time in less than two years

CHICAGO — A 5-year-old boy who was shot in the face during a drive-by shooting last year accidentally shot himself in the hand on Tuesday, according to Chicago police. 

Police say the latest shooting happened about 6:20 p.m. Tuesday at a home in the city's South Side, according to WGN.

Investigators are trying to determine how Kavan Collins got the handgun and accidentally shot himself in the hand. They are questioning a man who was in the home at the time of the shooting.

Click on the links for the full articles

2 hours ago, twa said:

what guards those helicopters?

Army bases. 

But please, feel free to trot out your next attempt to sound bite support the notion that our country needs bubbas with ARs in their garages, just in case they decide to overthrow the US government. 

Just now, Larry said:

Army bases. 

But please, feel free to trot out your next attempt to sound bite support the notion that our country needs bubbas with ARs in their garages, just in case they decide to overthrow the US government. 

Army bases :ols:

Cam Edwards Retweeted Kevin Rector

Baltimore schools couldn't heat classrooms this winter, but the city can come up with $100,000 to bus students to D.C. and protest for more gun control laws.

Cam Edwards added,

Kevin RectorVerified account @RectorSun
I just talked to @MayorPugh50. She said she estimates the buses, lunches and T-shirts she promised for Baltimore kids going to the March 24 #March4OurLives event in DC will cost Baltimore $100,000.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

Well, they are going to arm teachers. This is what the government wants so its going to happen. We will have results to study in a few years and we can pick this back up then I guess. 

Eh, i'm betting we wont have a school shooting in a school where teachers are armed.
So we'll never really an answer to how it actually plays out.

We'll have accidental shootings along the way.

Which means we'll go absolutely no where in the argument. 

I don't know what has to happen to get meaningful gun regulations passed. We can blame it on the GOP but the dems don't seem to have much of an actual appetite to do it either. It's really a loser for them anyways because as soon as a school shooting happens there will be this massive uptick in "see gun control doesnt work" style arguments. They'll catch political backlash one way or the other. 

Until the people make new regulations a top voting priority our politicians aren't going to be serious about it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

Until the people make new regulations a top voting priority our politicians aren't going to be serious about it.

Right. And its so disappointing that we have to wait. 

I agree with everything you said. Dems, Republicans....hell the people. Just as you said. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, visionary said:

If you go to the article, you'll find it's actually Politico with the story, WP is just passing it along.

link: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/28/gun-control-polling-parkland-430099

I think there's some interesting information here. Note that the people claiming this is the highest support for gun restrictions they've seen, caveat it with the fact that they've only been doing the research for 2 years.

they have some graphics i can't figure out how to embed. the one showing support for stricter gun laws with the 3 lines in the line graph sort of matches my perception of reality. Strong public support after an incident but over the long term support is sort of 'meh', and people love to say they support it but they obviously do not vote for politicians that are serious about it (and you could argue actually vote for politicians that are against it, because they are against it, unless all this NRA support and control is mythical and not actually real... which no one has argued yet...)

Then if you scroll down there's a nice chart showing support for various ideas, arranged according to how strong the support actually is. This is where I find the truly interesting stuff. Note that, given the arrangement, the "banning of bump stocks" falls roughly in the middle of the chart... That thing supposedly everyone is OK with, is in the middle at 77%.

Requiring students receive mental health screening at school has more support than banning firearms from schools and college campuses as a natual law. Or banning them from workplace settings as a national law. It barely is edged out by banning assault-style weapons (by 4%)

I find it interest "genuine need" for a gun has so much support. i'd be curious if that would pass SCOTUS. The qualifier is "such as law enforcement job or hunting", which kind of sounds like nonsense to me.