Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

16 hours ago, Larry said:

Starting to think that maybe the NRA is going to have to give up some token thing, somewhere.  

The usual tactic of "throw a bunch of chaff into the air, and ride it out for two days, and it will go away" doesn't seem to be working.  

We'll see. I won't be convinced of it until it actually happens.

Hell, we thought banning bump stocks was an easy ask and no one did anything about it until there was another school shooting unrelated to bump stocks.

• Like 1

Sister of Dylann Roof charged after bringing drugs, weapons to school

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WACH) - The sister of Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has been charged after deputies say she brought weapons to school on National Walkout Day.

On Wednesday, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department said that 18-year-old Morgan Roof was charged with simple possession of marijuana and two counts of carrying a weapon on school grounds.

Reportedly, a school resource officer was contacted by a school administrator after marijuana, pepper spray and a knife were found on Roof.

There was also a social media post on Snapchat which caused students and staff to be alarmed.

The social media post reads: 

"Your walking out for the allowed time of 17 mins, they are letting you do this, nothing is gonna change, what tf you think it's gonna do? I hope it's a trap and yall get shot, we know it's fixing to be nothing but black people walking out anyway, no offense ofc buuuuut"

Roof was immediately arrested by the school's SRO for violating school policy.

No students were harmed and she has been transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

Click on the link for the full article

I'm glad the school SI for my county made it a point to tell the community (multiple times, through different media) that there will be no punishment to the students.

I remember being in high school... i have my own opinions about the walkout and such, but listening to our school SI say there would be no punishment and the SI's of loudon, fairfax, and others say there would be punishment... i'm happy the way ours handled it.

(the comments on our papers' website about it on the other hand... ugh)

Edited by tshile

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/03/women_scare_of_guns.html

Alabama lawmaker: We shouldn't arm teachers because most are women

Alabama lawmakers need to protect "our ladies" and to do that, they should not arm teachers because most are women, argued State Rep. Harry Shiver, R-Stockton, this morning.

Most women, and women teachers in particular, "are scared of guns," and should not be expected to carry them in classrooms, he said.  

• Haha 3

I was at my kid's preschool orientation today and our school district has an armed, retired LE person at each school. I don't have a big qualm about it. The one at my older daughter's school has got to be in his late 50s and he's got a small side-arm. Anyway, the principal closes with a bit about feeling safer with armed presence in the school. There's a lot of morons in my county and they all love guns. Oh yeah, this was the same school that a stray shot was fired into one of the upper classroom windows thankfully it was a vacant room at the time and no one was hurt. Because all gun owners are so responsible. 

Well, anyway, back to drinking my beer and wondering how people in this day and age are literally more worried about a hypothetical gov't going wild and subjugating us vs the reality of kids getting shot in schools over the past twenty years. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I was at my kid's preschool orientation today and our school district has an armed, retired LE person at each school. I don't have a big qualm about it. The one at my older daughter's school has got to be in his late 50s and he's got a small side-arm. Anyway, the principal closes with a bit about feeling safer with armed presence in the school. There's a lot of morons in my county and they all love guns. Oh yeah, this was the same school that a stray shot was fired into one of the upper classroom windows thankfully it was a vacant room at the time and no one was hurt. Because all gun owners are so responsible. 

Well, anyway, back to drinking my beer and wondering how people in this day and age are literally more worried about a hypothetical gov't going wild and subjugating us vs the reality of kids getting shot in schools over the past twenty years. 

Wait......so you were drinking a beer at your kids preschool orientation?

• Haha 2

Senate candidate wanted to buy pistols for the homeless — but settled on shotguns

Brian Ellison said he wants to fight for the rights of the homeless -- and that includes giving some of them shotguns.

Ellison, a Libertarian candidate from Michigan running for the U.S. Senate, told MLive.com that the homeless “are probably the most ostracized, victimized oppressed class of people.”

“You can really see how the public perceives the homeless as less than human — it's a shame," he continued. “Homeless people are people too, and they have a right to defend themselves.”

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article205473914.html

America

Very old article I heard on the Daily Zeitgeist, but fascinating:

Rob Schenck: I'm an evangelical preacher. You can't be pro-life and pro-gun.

This isn’t easy for me to say. Forty-one years ago, I accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior under the preaching of an evangelical pastor. I attended an evangelical college and seminary, was ordained an evangelical minister, and now chair the Evangelical Church Alliance, one of America’s oldest associations of evangelical clergy. My Christian identity is solidly evangelical.

But I disagree with my community’s wholesale embrace of the idea that anyone should be able to buy a gun. For one thing, our commitment to the sanctity of human life demands that we err on the side of reducing threats to human life. And our belief in the basic sinfulness of humankind should make us skeptical of the NRA’s slogan, “the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.” The Bible indicates that we are all bad guys sometimes.

Additionally, anyone using a gun for defense must be ready to kill. Such a posture is antithetical to the term “evangelical,” which refers to the “evangel,” or gospel. The gospel begins with God’s love for every human, and calls on Christians to be more Christ-like. At no time did Jesus use deadly force. Although he once allowed his disciples to defend themselves with “a sword,” that permission came with a limitation on the number of weapons they could possess. Numerous Bible passages, such as Exodus 22:2-3, strictly limit the use of deadly force.

Unfortunately, too many evangelicals ignore this. Instead, they jump on a secular bandwagon of fear mongering, contempt and bravado to gin up support for gun rights. Evangelical Sen. Ted Cruz, who I’ve prayed with several times, has said, “You don’t get rid of the bad guys by getting rid of our guns. You get rid of the bad guys by using our guns.” Sarah Palin, who I know and once supported, told an annual meeting of NRA members, “Nowadays, ammo is expensive. Don’t waste a bullet on a warning shot.” And Jerry Falwell Jr., president of Liberty University (one of the largest evangelical institutions in the world), called on his students to arm themselves in the wake of terrorist shootings. He joked about carrying a gun in his back pocket and made light of killing Muslims. (He later said he meant only Muslim terrorists, but his comments received lots of whoops and applause.)

To me, turning from Christian to secular sources on a paramount moral question indicates a failure in faith. The words of Cruz, Palin and Falwell seem to contradict those of Jesus Christ, who commands believers to “bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

From one of the students:

I believe that corporal punishment has no place in schools, even if it wasn’t painful to me. The idea that violence should be used against someone who was protesting violence as a means to discipline them is appalling. I hope that this is changed, in Greenbrier, and across the country.

Just now, Larry said:

Thus demonstrating more honor and integrity than the "adult" administering it.  

Somewhere, Rosa Parks is nodding in agreement.  

Wrong student , geniuses.