Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

As I said, the arming teachers idea is just a profit making scheme for the gun industry. This is just one state. Multiply it by fifty and you get pretty damn close to the estimates that I projected a dozen pages back... the number that people laughed at me for when I put it out there.

Edited by Burgold

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

As I said, the arming teachers idea is just a profit making scheme for the gun industry. This is just one state. Multiply it by fifty and you get pretty damn close to the estimates that I projected a dozen pages back... that people laughed at me when I put it out there.

Pathetic.

If Im the Delta CEO, I am moving my company to another state.

There HAS to be repercussions from such a blatant partisan political punishment of a corporation.  I do not like this trend whatsoever.  Georgia legislature needs to be punished, QUICKLY

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zoony said:

If Im the Delta CEO, I am moving my company to another state.

There HAS to be repercussions from such a blatant partisan political punishment of a corporation.  I do not like this trend whatsoever.  Georgia legislature needs to be punished, QUICKLY

I'd suggest Cali or NY, they love giving fossil fuel subsidies.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

I'd suggest Cali or NY, they love giving fossil fuel subsidies.

Speaking of which, this kind of thing gone unanswered by corporations will lead to states such as those raising taxes on companies that dont support liberal pet causes

This is outrageous stuff.  If delta doesnt relocate they are not only *******, theyre assholes too.  They owe it to all of corporate america

<sigh> I really have tried not to get too involved in this conversation (no seriously, I have) because it is yet again one of those arguments where both sides/ all sides/ every side trumpets their position without a willingness at even the most basic effort to genuinely understand exactly what is going on and why.

We literally have no current objective data to work with, none. Whoever you care to blame, the stark reality is that no one in the government is even allowed to try and gather data on this.

In United States politics, the Dickey Amendment is a provision first inserted as a rider into the 1996 federal government omnibus spending bill which mandated that "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control."[1] In the same spending bill, Congress earmarked $2.6 million from the CDC's budget, the exact amount that had previously been allocated to the agency for firearms research the previous year, for traumatic brain injury-related research.[2]

The amendment was lobbied for by the NRA. The amendment is named after its author Jay Dickey, a Republican member of the United States House of Representatives from Arkansas.[2]

Many commentators have described this amendment as a "ban" on gun violence research by the CDC.[3] Jay Dickey himself has subsequently regretted introducing the amendment, and there have been unsuccessful attempts to repeal it.

Now of course this doesn't prevent any private efforts to try and gather data, here from the Rand Corp....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/03/02/this-major-new-report-on-gun-deaths-should-shock-and-anger-us-all/?utm_term=.ade7b1eb0620

The indications are clear, there is a problem and we are obliged to address it, but the rightwing/NRA/Republican/gun nutty demographic not only has fingers shoved in their ears la-la-laing the livelong day, they are intent on jamming fingers in yours as well.....

The day after the mass shooting in Parkland, Fla., House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), a longtime opponent of new gun measures, said Congress needs to “take a breath and collect the facts.” The Republican leader added, “We don’t just knee-jerk before we even have all the facts and the data.”

At face value, that seemed like an entirely sensible approach. After all, who could be against collecting facts and data before engaging in policymaking?

The trouble, of course, is that there’s already a federal restriction in place to prevent officials from collecting facts and data – and Politico  reports today that congressional Republicans intend to leave it in place, despite recent developments.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/republicans-plan-keep-restrictions-gun-research-place?cid=sm_fb_maddow

Sniping back-n-forth about arming teachers and turning schools into fortresses and armed drones and standing troops is not only pointlessly useless, it is meant to be! The narrative has been overtly and intentionally warped into the broken bits of a conversation that some don't want to occur.

Some don't know it, some don't want to know it, some would refuse to admit no matter what evidence their nose was rubbed in, but THE initial biggest problem in this is that everyone's debate and discussion and concern has been distorted and dictated by the gravitational pull of the all the politicians the NRA & Co. have bought for generations.

Unless and until objective scientific rational observation is allowed, untainted by either side, absolutely nothing can or will happen, and we will be discussing more dead children soon.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:35 AM, Burgold said:

And as expected, when the dust clears and the blood dries... nothing much will get done. Mitch McConnell just canceled next week's debate on gun control. Trump has backed down after meeting with the NRA. Florida voted to not even allow debate on the subject.

Oh you mean the movement has stalled?

I'm shocked.

29 minutes ago, tshile said:

Oh you mean the movement has stalled?

I'm shocked.

Yup, it's a never ending cycle.

I think we're approaching this the wrong way. Most everyone here agrees that some common sense gun control legislation is needed. Everyone here, I hope, realizes that votes and money have more power over what actually happens than us ****ing at each other on an internet message board. So the first thought needs not to be, "how do we fix this problem?" but "how do we keep politics and lobbyists from getting in the way of us fixing the problem?"

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, visionary said:

If you're hunting a deer with a semi-auto high powered high capacity modified AR-15 then you have respect for neither hunting nor guns, so that argument can **** right off.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tshile said:

They (Wal-Mart, dicks, etc) are raising the limit for all rifles. That would include hunting. I also believe the limit applies to shotguns.

I'm sure the younguns won't mind them not selling them ammo or guns.

11 minutes ago, twa said:

Want a lesson on publicity stunts gone horribly wrong? From USA Today, “Only 13 Delta passengers have ever bought tickets with an NRA discount.” Have fun losing hundreds of thousands of customers, @Delta, over nothing! Stay out of politics you fools, that’s business 101

I'm guessing Delta cut ties with the NRA for the same reasons other companies did.  They probably felt that fallout from the anti-nra crowd was starting to outweigh the foreseeable fallout from the pro-nra crowd.  

1 hour ago, twa said:

Want a lesson on publicity stunts gone horribly wrong? From USA Today, “Only 13 Delta passengers have ever bought tickets with an NRA discount.” Have fun losing hundreds of thousands of customers, @Delta, over nothing! Stay out of politics you fools, that’s business 101

Good on them. Money is an excellent servant but a very cruel master.

"Haha Delta. You lose millions for not associating with evil. That'll teach you."

I have a question though, twa. How did you find this tweet? Is @TyEducatingLibs someone that you follow?

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Good on them. Money is an excellent servant but a very cruel master.

"Haha Delta. You lose millions for not associating with evil. That'll teach you."

I have a question though, twa. How did you find this tweet? Is @TyEducatingLibs someone that you follow?

Funny they had no problem associating before.

Retweeted by someone I follow I suppose, I can look up who if ya wish....or link ya to mine(don't mind the burgold ones though,he is in recovery:))

I did visit his feed, not impressed enough to follow(though he is funny at times)

• Like 1