Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you believe Jay Gruden will be successful as our Head Coach?

Diehard Otis

Do you believe Jay Gruden as Head Coach of The Washington Redskins will be successful?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Jay Gruden will become a successful Head Coach in DC?

• Yes! He is our saviour!
    • Sure. I believe he will succeed eventually.
    • Well, he is our Coach. Therefore, I want to see him do good.
    • I've got some doubts about him.
    • The fat boy is an idiot! I can't wait to run him outta town!
    • I reserve the right to answer until after I see how it goes this season

It's a pretty straight-up question folks.  

I uhhh.....have my doubts.  Besides all of the Griffin stuff, I just think that some of his moves have been puzzling.  And some have been downright ridiculous.  I'm not sold on the guy.

And that's difficult for me to say, because I was trained as a fan (waaaaay back in the old days; before the internet) to support your Coach & your Quarterback.  Obviously, not everyone does that.  But I have tried to it at all times over the years.  And through it all, I only hated one Head Coach (Spurrier).  

Thing is, this guy is losing me.  I feel like we have a career Offensive Coordinator taking his one shot with our team.  And I don't like that.  In fact, I find myself looking across the field on Sundays at the Opponent's Head Man and thinking that they have the advantage.  And that sucks.

All that said, I obviously want him to be successful in DC, but I dunno.

What say you?

I feel like A LOT of the real vitriol thrown his way is due to how he went after Robert and also, Robert's general decline...which is kind of unfair.

Having said that, I've never been a big fan. When he was hired, a lot of us had reservations especially seeing how Bengals fans felt about him

Then, you see how undisciplined his teams are, how ****ty the locker room environment was/is, and how poorly he handled certain things last year and it's not too crazy to think he doesn't have it as a coach. Not to mention how many times the team was blown off the field last year.

So most likely no, he won't be successful but I'll give him to the end of the year.

IMO, every component of the circus (he, Griffin, and KC) will be gone come January

I'd like to think, in fairness to Jay, that he has some assurance from Scot that he's not gone by the end of the year if he fails with Griffin.  That is what he was brought in for so it looks bad, but I think Jay can be successful if he gets a chance with a guy that he chooses. 

So I don't know how to answer the poll question because their are a lot of unknown variables.

I feel like A LOT of the real vitriol thrown his way is due to how he went after Robert and also, Robert's general decline...which is kind of unfair.

Having said that, I've never been a big fan. When he was hired, a lot of us had reservations especially seeing how Bengals fans felt about him

Then, you see how undisciplined his teams are, how ****ty the locker room environment was/is, and how poorly he handled certain things last year and it's not too crazy to think he doesn't have it as a coach. Not to mention how many times the team was blown off the field last year.

So most likely no, he won't be successful but I'll give him to the end of the year.

IMO, every component of the circus (he, Griffin, and KC) will be gone come January

Sadly, there are probably even money odds that your right (about a housecleaning come January).  From that standpoint, I view this Season as our GM sitting back and seeing who sinks...and who swims.

As for Gruden, yes that RGIII public tear-down did it for me.  But it wasn't just that.  It was the constantly going away from the Run when it was working (and the Game was still in doubt), it was the amateurish QB carousel, it was insisting on calling the plays from the get-go.  And the big one: the team DIDN'T improve as the season wore on.

A good Coach improves his team throughout the season.  I saw Mike Zimmer do that.  I didn't see Jay Gruden do that.

I have doubts about him.  He looked way over his head last year.  Sure there's a learning curve for rookie coaches, but I can't point to one thing about him that makes me think he's going to be a good coach.  Smartest thing he did was rope Bruce into giving him a 5 year contract   Unfortunately for him he's stuck with a QB who doesn't fit his scheme and now a GM who's got full control over personnel with no ties to him.  That usually leads to unemployment.  Really the quicker this season is over and either RGIII, Gruden or both are gone the quicker Scot can get to putting this thing together the right way.  

This is what I should go with:

We have several threads where Jay is being discussed (occasionally, even actually discussed).

This is already just a repeat of those posts.

Some one wants to add a poll, do so with some intelligently worded choices, not just a bunch (and too many for the simple question) that so obviously reflect the long held bias and all the well-worn themes Otis gave in his first posts here.

These "let me start a repetitive circus because I can't stand so and so and I can't find enough places to say it" threads will not fly just because you put "poll" in the title.

Makes the place too stupid. It's already repetitive enough.

The title is decent enough. I'm closing this. Try again, if you really think this needs to added to the board.

Maybe another mod will close it anyway, but I'm going to let it go for now, to what I expect to be another "same ole" circus with all the same folks saying the same old things (many of which already shown to be wrong in fact or just dumb in thought) in yet another place.

Whether it remains will depend on the level of the discussion and also seeing if almost everything posted is something that's already been, or is being, posted elsewhere with this just being "ooooo a shiny new noise maker."

Given the choices, the only thing even mildly worth intelligent interest IMV will be seeing how many don't pick the more negative options of the poor choices, as I'd hardly think we need a poll to know Jay has very little support here.

Hahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!

Damn Bang, that was the best laugh I've had all day!  :lol:

Very drôle.

Sorry ..  how depressing it is here.

What i mean is eventually someone WILL,, it only stands to reason,  but the team is surrounded by toxicity.. from the FO on down to the fans to the media..  it's a bad atmosphere and the slightest mis-steps are treated as nuclear accidents.

And it resonates. the team is constantly surrounded by dysfunction.. some of their own making, some ginned up and stirred by a rabid media.

Last week i heard Thom Loverro on the radio try to say that because there's a picture of Scot McCloughan talking to RG3 pre-game that it undermines Gruden and reduces his authority.

When this is the narrative that is presented no matter what ... (No pic of McCloughan with RG3 - undermines Gruden because it shows disunity.. )..  nobody can survive.

What is expected here: immediate turnaround. No matter how much anyone says they want to be patient and allow a team to be built, that lasts a half a season and the pressure begins. The media speculation begins, the ridiculous parsing of every word begins.. all drawn to the inevitable conclusion that Coach X is blowing it, that he's a yes man to the owner, that he's being shoved around by the players.. take your pick.. anything means everything around here, except what is actually said or done.

And it's done happily. we just love us some drama.

and so ..  no coach can be successful here. We won't allow for it.

~Bang

Hahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!

Damn Bang, that was the best laugh I've had all day!  :lol:

Very drôle.

Not sure how that's funny.  Though I hope that we can recover from the last several years... we see a couple of the brighter coaches that were part of this franchise doing well with other organizations (Williams in Saint Louis, Kyle in Atlanta, etc). 

Just as you expect a rookie player to flash you kind of expect to see a rookie HC flash maybe it'll be in play calling or half time adjustments. Maybe it'll be in player discipline or morale.

Gruden's flash came after it was obvious his team

quit. The team gave up with about six games to go. Finally, Gruden tore into them and his team rallied behind him. I think the defense soon quit again, but the o played the rest of the year.

Will Gruden become a good proven head coach? He's got almost as far to go as Griffin, but if you look hard enough there are some glimmers.

Mind you, if I had to bet I'd... Abstain

The truth is, a coach's success is dependent on the talent he has and the FO support he gets. I mean with a few exceptions(mainly Bellicheck), success starts at the top. You think Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh would win here? On the flip side, Jay Gruden could probably coach the Seahawks or Packers and they'd still be fairly successful.

If Mcloughan stockpiles the roster here the way he did in San Fran and Seattle, Gruden can win here, assuming he sticks around and isn't a complete doofus like say a Jim Zorn was(and I don't think he is that).

I had meant to note that the way the choices are worded, anyone who chooses 4,5,6 and not 3 are basically saying their doubt/disfavor of Jay plays bigger with them than the team winning. 

(logically ruling out 1 & 2 as "no on Jay" a voter would not pick those) 

Given this wording, picking 4, 5, or 6 will be about the same thing as "I doubt/don't like/can't stand Jay so I don't want him (and thus the team) to do good."

(read how #3 is written--it should be pretty much the unanimous pick unless you openly know you dislike jay more than you care about the team winning)

Which I'm sure is not what most folks who don't like Jay (which is most folks) would want to claim as their position (even if it's true).

Also the poll answers aren't that great. Can we get a leaning towards no answer without the insults?

I agree with Brave.

This is a skewed sounding poll, clearly leaning towards the negative.

The affirmative choices in your poll are sarcastically worded, already mocking those who choose them as being blind devotees to a messiah.

In contrast the nastiness of the negative choices prejudices the poll as to what direction you want the poll to go.

I'd rather not vote.

I'm sorry folks.

I admit to being an infrequent poster, as you can clearly see from my post count.  My intention in starting this thread was to gauge the temperature of the board regarding Gruden.  

And as you can tell, this is my 1st poll thread.  So yes, I did have some fun with it.

But I am not trying to anger the staff here or cause trouble for trouble's sake.

Thank you to those posters that did contribute.  I appreciate your efforts.

I was against Jay by the end of last year. Since then, though, several things have changed to turn me towards "let's give this guy a chance".

New GM

Qb coach

New DC

Better players (improved depth)

Change in attitude

and then "little" things like changing the practice schedule, announcing a commitment to the run, getting young guys PT, supposedly catering to his qbs strengths, wanting Griffin to have more preseason reps, realizing(?) that his qbs are young and were in a new system, etc.

Archived