Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs. Lions - Final

JimmiJo

If preseason dictates our future, we could get the first draft pick of 2016.

Sorry all, wasn't able to watch last night.

Looks like we won!

Detroit is a borderline playoff team so to beat them is impressive right?

Our starters was getting demolished by Detroit's starters.

A caller brought this up and Al Gauldi added to her point:  All we've been hearing in training camp and practice is how much shotgun, and moving Robert in the pocket is being run, but then in both games we are seeing very little of it being called. Everyone seems kind of puzzled as to why what they are practicing is not being run with Robert in the actual games, yet with McCoy and Cousins you see that same stuff implemented into the game plan.

Could they be trying to hide their intent and not be showing their hand as to what is actually planned? The only problem I see with this strategy is you can't go out and get the QB hurt in the preseason in hopes of hiding something for the regular season.  The main thing that seems not "right" about it is that we see plenty of bootlegs and rolling of the pocket types of plays once McKoy and Cousins entered the game so I too am kind of left scratching my head.

It's a very good question, and I was hoping this is the case. Otherwise as is, RGIII doesn't finish the season as the QB and is probably done here. I certainly don't buy that Jay would sabotage a player, let alone a QB. I think the GM, with the owner and the Presidents blessing,  would fire him on the spot for what amounts to treason. 

If preseason dictates our future, we could get the first draft pick of 2016.

Our starters was getting demolished by Detroit's starters.

Not true. A lot of our starters didn't play.

For his even keel analysis and temperament suited to the task of  being the voice of sanity in this nevertheless entertaining thread I nominate SkinsGuy for 

EDITED trophy pic

velocet

Well, thank you very much for this honor.

Is there any money involved? ;)

Well, for all of the frustration and hand-wringing, I came out of last night knowing a lot of what I already knew.  Namely:

• The Skins cannot Win without #71.  Period.
  • We don't have 3 NFL caliber Tackles on our roster
  • We are a good Rushing team
  • Our Season hinges on 3 things: 1)Health of our key contributors 2)Turnover margin 3)Special Teams play
  • Our Offense is built to Run the ball with Play Action (Let's be who we are when it counts)

--------------

Also, Detroit is a LOOOT better than I thought!  They sure looked like a tough out last night (in the Pre-Season).  It's funny, cause I just penciled in Minnesota being the 2nd place team in that Division, but the Lions might have something to say about that.  

Just giving props where props are due.  They looked good.

This is what we do every year- we win all, or most, of our pre-season games because our 3s beat their 3s. In reality, our starters, the guys who actually play in the regular season are manhandled. I said it early in the day yesterday that we were going from a below avg browns D-line to a top notch Lions D-Line and that this would be a good indicator of our true progress. Well, question answered. 

Just think, week 1 we will go up against possibly the best front 7 in the game... Callahan has 3 weeks to work his magic on this OL. It's hard for me to blame any of that 1st quarter on RG. 

If not already the Skins will be exposed against the Dolphins.  "Its only the preseason" and I get that... "vanilla offense" ok ok...  But how many teams do we see go out in the preseason and display that level of fail with the starting offense?  We are missing TW and Jackson but it was still a debacle.

Im becoming less and less impressed with Gruden and the writing is clearly on the wall that RG is done.  Our O-line has its issues but   Robert doesn't resemble a starting NFL QB anymore and it went from not expecting him to stay healthy for a full season to now not expecting him to stay healthy for a full game.  

Recently I wondered if perhaps RG would go somewhere else and become a star but now I wonder if even behind a stellar O-line if he could be.  I think he has issues reading defenses and is easy to confuse.  Combine that with his fragility and his lack of self awareness and Id say he is destined to be a backup and or gadget QB starting next year.

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins vs. Lions

08/2015

The news lately is more to do with what Redskins' players are saying, rather than what they are doing on the field. My next Warpath Magazine column deals with this topic and I can summarize for you in two words:

Shut. Up.

Photos

https://flickr.com/photos/40995794@N05/sets/72157655207884274

Postgame

In fairness, Detroit is a very good defense. Additionally, Trent Williams did not play. That said, the first team offense was a train wreck. And if this is what they are taking into the regular season, get ready for another long year.

JimmiJo...

Great writeup and great photos. 

I don't see how this isn't blatantly obvious to everyone. Were you guys watching the same game I was? Griffin was lining up under center on almost every play. You really think that's gonna be what we see in the regular season? You really think we're not gonna be running a huge amount of plays out of the pistol? 

I hate to say it, but Griffin was in Shotgun 6 times out of his 9 drop backs.  

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400791795&period=0

Watch Cousins or Colt come in and run the offense.

I sure it was already said, since I am quoting a post from the 1st qtr. 

Colt came in and in his first drive, our RBs have runs of (about) 30, 25 and 10 yards.  After those, Colt using play action - it worked.

Robert had LESS THEN 2 seconds on at least 2 of times he was crushed. 

What was our coach thinking when putting someone so inexperienced at LT to open the game.  That experiment failed and got our starter hurt and possibly made him gun-shy.

And of course Kirk looked good again - He really did make some nice plays moving in the pocket and picking up the open receiver.  But, this was against 4 stringers, so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. 

But Cousins has been killing it in the preseason. He has earned some time with starters IMO.

Good thing for Kirk he didn't earn that time last night.  No QB in the NFL could have been successful in last nights first quarter. 

I was actually thinking as Robert was nailed for the 3rd or 4th time that this is the exact formula for beating a Manning or Brady team. 

I'm a HUGE Alfred Morris fan......Statistically, he has more than proven himself. And it's waaaaaaaaaay to early to say this, but I'm going to say it anyway. Matt Jones is the best RB on this team......He's a suped up Alfred Morris....

Dude - FYI Jones fumbled twice last night.  He recovered both, but if he keeps it up, he won't be recovering them all and he will find himself on the bench during critical times.

Minus the fumbles - he looked totally legit last night.  Faster than I expected!!!

Obviously the 2-0 record is a gross misrepresentation of what this team really is.  No matter what, all the great teams are lead with great offensive line play.  Callahan may be a great addition to this organization but tonight his line looked like swiss cheese.  Scherff was constantly pushed back and looked small compared to Lions defensive front.  Moses wasn't any better, and Smith was awful.  

Really?  We we losing to the lions 3-0 at the end of the first quarter and were totally stuffing their offense.  The browns had 1 good drive against us early the the game.  The biggest play of the drive was a long pass interference call that looked like a blown call (to this homer.) 

Detroit was a team that was winning by about 21 points against the cowgirls in the playoffs last year.  They are good.  We were down by 3. 

I watched the game again.

Now, I'll try to put a good spin on it.

It was preseason. The coaches clearly wanted to see what RG3 could do in the pocket and everything just went wrong. 

I suspect week one will feature a lot of rollouts and even a little R/O -- just like week 2 did.

And our running game is going to be very good. 

D-line much improved.

I think RG3 will make some plays. The problem is, I don't care what offense we run or how much we try to protect him, the kid is so inept in the pocket he's going to keep taking shots until he's hurt. 

Obviously, KC was playing against scrubs last night, but he still faced immediate pressure on several plays. How he moves in the pocket is so much better than RG3... it's staggering.

Skins fourth in defense and 1st in rushing right now. Totally meaningless... yet shows some promise.

Maybe we should just hand off every play in the regular season. Actually, I think that's going to be very close to the plan.

Really?  We we losing to the lions 3-0 at the end of the first quarter and were totally stuffing their offense.  The browns had 1 good drive against us early the the game.  The biggest play of the drive was a long pass interference call that looked like a blown call (to this homer.) 

Detroit was a team that was winning by about 21 points against the cowgirls in the playoffs last year.  They are good.  We were down by 3. 

And his post was about the offense.  You can't get less than zero no matter how bad you get whooped.  And our 1st team offense got whooped.  Some of it by their 2nd string defense.   Their offense starters played 2 series scored on one moved the ball about 60 yards.  If we tackled 1st man on the time might you might have a point, but "stuffing" their real offense is definitely not how most would put it.

I actually missed one... They were in shotgun for 6 of his 9 pass plays.

It was 6 but no QB would have faired well against that rush. I thing RGIII was not at all good but the rush was on, it was like the Lions knew that RGIII was going to be in the pocket and there was going to be little of the rush game with him in  so they went all out to rush him every time. As soon as he left we started running the ball and the defense backed off. 

RGIII did nothing to help himself with this game - but the coaches also did nothing to help as well.

Archived