Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs. Lions - Final

JimmiJo

My impression of the game was that the Skins 'first string' were a step slow -- and why not? There were a lot of people playing in different positions, different combinations, mainstay players missing, and the weather conditions weren't that great. I got the sense that the Skins coaches were trying to see, especially on defense, how well certain players might work out in positions that were new to them. Bottom line, folks seemed a little tentative. I sensed the Skins coaches were willing to see what happened if they experimented with different personnel groupings -- I don't think the team responded well, and seemed tentative.

On O-line, Smith, Scherff and Moses didn't look good -- I was underwhelmed by Scherff's performance, and frankly never did expect much from Smith. It certainly didn't make Griffin's job easier. ....But Griffin didn't handle the 'jail-breaks' very well... Almost no elusiveness, didn't diagnose quickly and find his hot read in time to execute, nor did Robert seem sense what was coming. He stood strong in the pocket and kept taking the hits. It was painful to watch.

Murphy looked very tentative over on Kerrigan's side. And the Skins defense seemed a beat slow. That's what preseason in Washington in August will do to you, but it seemed exacerbated by all the experimenting going on by the coaches -- no doubt trying to assess personnel under game-time conditions.

Plus side, Jones and Thompson looked hungry and fast. So did Ross and others. We've got nice depth at RB, and maybe some new keepers to help out on special teams (Bates?).

At backup QB, McCoy can run an offense well in relief, and I continue to enjoy Cousins' placement of his passes -- when he's not under pressure he usually places his passes in the best place for his receivers to catch it. .... And much better than Griffin has shown (granted, Griffin is usually under duress...but that's IMHO, Griffin hasn't been hitting his receivers in stride much lately.). Also, the team seems to move more quickly with McCoy and Cousins -- maybe because it's versus weaker competition? I just sensed a quicker, more confident tempo.

From what I see, I think we're going to see the Skins develop a robust running game -- that should take a little pressure off of the passer. The issue is whether, if called upon in crucial 3rd downs, the QB can deliver on gaining the yards needed to move the chains.

Archived