Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs. Lions - Final

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 Redskins vs. Lions

08/2015

Greetings my friends, and welcome to another exciting installment of ES game coverage. Tonight features the Redskins verses the Lions. I am JimmiJo and I join you along with my friend and partner, Spaceman Spiff.

The news lately is more to do with what Redskins' players are saying, rather than what they are doing on the field. My next Warpath Magazine column deals with this topic and I can summarize for you in two words:

Shut. Up.

From where I sit a team that has won seven games over the last two seasons has no room to talk about how great they are as a unit, or how great they are as individuals. Until I see them win something like a regular season game, spare telling me who can cover you, how you rank next to other players, or the name you've come up with for your defense.

Rather, let's focus on playing the games and getting better.

Tonight I hope to see solid, competitive football. I will be watching the quarterback play to see whether Robert Griffin III is evolving. Last week was a mixed grade for me.

Kirk Cousins looked all-world, but expect Colt McCoy to get the lions' share of 2nd-team reps as he is competing for that second spot.

I want to see the defense continue to flash. Based on the additions on defense they should be the most improved.

Mostly, I want to see the team stay healthy.

Stand by...

Inactives

For the Washington Redskins:

- The following Redskins are not expected to play:
o No. 11 WR DeSean Jackson
o No. 23 CB DeAngelo Hall
o No. 26 CB Bashaud Breeland
o No. 51 LB Will Compton
o No. 58 LB Junior Galette
o No. 71 T Trent Williams
o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse
o No. 80 WR Jamison Crowder
o No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
o No. 91 LB Ryan Kerrigan
- No. 14 Ryan Grant is expected to start in place of Jackson at wide receiver.
- No. 39 David Amerson is expected to start in place of Hall at cornerback.
- No. 60 Willie Smith is expected to start in place of Williams at left tackle.
- No. 87 Je’Ron Hamm is expected to start in place of Reed at tight end.
- No. 94 Preston Smith is expected to start in place of Kerrigan at linebacker.

For the Detroit Lions:

- The following Lions are not expected to play:
o No. 16 WR Lance Moore
o No. 33 CB Alex Carter
o No. 35 RB Joique Bell
o No. 66 T LaAdrian Waddle
o No. 81 WR Calvin Johnson
o No. 91 DE Jason Jones
o No. 92 DT Haloti Ngata
- No. 10 Corey Fuller is expected to start in place of Johnson at wide receiver.

Half

Arguably one of the worst efforts by a starting offense I've witnessed. The offensive line played like they hate the starting quarterback - allowing guys to run free the entire time Griffin was in. Officially Griffin was sacked three times. Ironically, he was injured on an unforced fumble as he took off to escape pressure.

The defense was not much better. Allowing big plays and in general making Matt Stafford and the Lions' night real easy.

The second team livened things up and as bad as the first team looked. Washington could win this game.

Talk soon.

P.S. - I wrote the above thinking the half was done. But Washington made it interesting at the end of the half...sort of.

Photos

https://flickr.com/photos/40995794@N05/sets/72157655207884274

Postgame

A few pieces of news came out following the game. Head coach Jay Gruden announced Griffin has a concussion and will be assessed throughout the week. The sense was he will likely miss the all-important third preseason game. If this be the case, Gruden will make a decision on the starter this week.

Gruden did announce Griffin is the starter upon his return. I can understand his reluctance to create a media-storm. That said; if the backup starts next week against the Baltimore Ravens and lights it up, Gruden will have a storm whether he wishes it or no.

I asked the coach who was to blame for the breakdowns in protection; the line, the quarterback, or both? He would not name a culprit before watching the tape, but referenced a few blown assignments by the line. ESPN's John Keim then followed up on Griffin and the coach seemed to suggest there was some culpability there as well.

I was convinced the line was at fault while Griffin was in. However, both Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins impressed me in how quickly they were able to drop back, see something, and get the ball out. It will be real interesting to see one behind the starters to see if there is a difference. If so...

Kory Lichtensteiger was visibly frustrated in the locker room. His answers were terse and sharp. So much so I remarked he appeared a bit upset by the game. "I don't want to spill my guts," was all he said. His eyes suggested passionate feelings on the performance tonight.

In fairness, Detroit is a very good defense. Additionally, Trent Williams did not play. That said, the first team offense was a train wreck. And if this is what they are taking into the regular season, get ready for another long year.

Kudos the backups for at least giving people something to clap for. I tweeted I would be sad when the preseason ends as there will then be no good Redskins's football to witness.

Ok, gotta run. I will be with you next game from Baltimore. Here's to a better first-team outing next time.

Just said this in the RGIII thread .....

He's not lead a TD drive, let alone scored one himself, since his rookie season?!

That's beyond putrid. I'd play him the whole half tonight. And screw running it the majority. Let him air it out. He needs ALL the on-field game time he can get. I'm with you JP. VERY mixed grade last week. And his comments this past week have been very ill advised for a player who has it ALL to prove. 

I'm not keen at all on handing him the starting gig (should be a legit open competition for me and I really like Robert) but as we have, he needs to be out there as long as possible. 

I'd also sit Trent and Kory L. Let's get the rooks and second year line guys lengthy playing time the rest of pre-season to see who's the best for week one on merit. 

Hail. 

Every year a vast majority of offenses and QBs suck, yet their coaches felt they didn't need work in preseason. I agree GHH, lets give the offense significant snaps. Yes we are likely hiding everything cough the exact same offense as 2012 cough but there are many things to work on tonight, including generating tape to review of our young OL and others.  

Sure we have injury concerns, but players get injured in practice too. I think coaching scared of those things breeds losing. On offense, don't call naked bootlegs where RG3 will face 3 unblocked players, and injury risks decrease.How about practicing fades? Those seem like low injury risk plays. 

It looks like the rain will be here on the early side, maybe by kickoff. 

Thanks for the early GDT 

Just said this in the RGIII thread .....

He's not lead a TD drive, let alone scored one himself, since his rookie season?!

Which was discussed by NoLeafClover & myself last week before the Cleveland game. The starting Offense has not scored a TD in the last FIVE pre season games. Had Garçon not had the drop last week, they'd have had a TD last week.

August 20, 2015

ANNOUNCEMENT OF LINEUP CHANGES

LANDOVER, Md. – The teams have announced the following lineup changes for tonight’s game between the Washington Redskins and Detroit Lions:

For the Washington Redskins:

- The following Redskins are not expected to play:

o No. 11 WR DeSean Jackson

o No. 23 CB DeAngelo Hall

o No. 26 CB Bashaud Breeland

o No. 51 LB Will Compton

o No. 58 LB Junior Galette

o No. 71 T Trent Williams

o No. 73 DE Frank Kearse

o No. 80 WR Jamison Crowder

o No. 86 TE Jordan Reed

o No. 91 LB Ryan Kerrigan

- No. 14 Ryan Grant is expected to start in place of Jackson at wide receiver.

- No. 39 David Amerson is expected to start in place of Hall at cornerback.

- No. 60 Willie Smith is expected to start in place of Williams at left tackle.

- No. 87 Je’Ron Hamm is expected to start in place of Reed at tight end.

- No. 94 Preston Smith is expected to start in place of Kerrigan at linebacker.

For the Detroit Lions:

- The following Lions are not expected to play:

o No. 16 WR Lance Moore

o No. 33 CB Alex Carter

o No. 35 RB Joique Bell

o No. 66 T LaAdrian Waddle

o No. 81 WR Calvin Johnson

o No. 91 DE Jason Jones

o No. 92 DT Haloti Ngata

- No. 10 Corey Fuller is expected to start in place of Johnson at wide receiver.

Please make the following updates to the flip card:

- Omit No. 68 C Darren Keyton from the Lions’ rosters and depth chart. The Lions placed Keyton on their Reserve/Injured list earlier this week.

- Change Lions linebacker Kevin Snyder to No. 51. Snyder recently changed his number from No. 46.

I agree with the post about playing RG3 more. He needs all the time he can get. I sincerely hope he gets things figured out and becomes out franchise QB but now it's time to put up or shut up. I also laughed at the defense calling themselves Capitol Punishment. Our defense has sucked for so long and they havent done anything yet.

Anyone know what's up with all the Duke players at the stadium? If they're going to be honored, they should expect to be booed. This is 5 miles from UMD.

Their coach brought them to watch Crowder play, but he's not playing. Doh!

Robert needs to avoid getting drilled! Its the preseason and he was already limping after the first quarter last week. The OLine has to focus on protecting the QB!

So is TW injured or are they just putting Robert out there to die?
Has Willie Smith played much LT.

I am sure they want to see who will provide depth at LT and also protect Silverback from injury. Its a good thing Ngata is not playing...

Robert needs to avoid getting drilled! Its the preseason and he was already limping after the first quarter last week. The OLine has to focus on protecting the QB!

And Robert needs to learn how to get the ball out of his hands quickly. It's a two-way street. ;)

Willie Smith impressed me last week so looking forward to seeing him get a start. 

Hoping Grant gets a lot of ball. 

All about Griffin though. Want no sacks and a TD pass with solid play in between. I have no worries about the run game this year. We'll be good there. 

What's the weather like JP?

If it's raining heavy at game time, I REALLY hope they don't go soft and just give 10 a series or 2. 

Screw the conditions. He needs to be out there getting reps. 

Hail. 

Not doing anything yet. Expect the deluge about 9PM

I am sure they want to see who will provide depth at LT and also protect Silverback from injury. Its a good thing Ngata is not playing...

So I see Robert is more expendable than Trent. Got it.

I am curious if the out of context "best QB in the league" interview gave the Lions bulletin board material?

Actually, if you go read the comments on the preview of the game on NFL.COM under the analysis tab, you'll discover a few snarky comments about his words that I personally feel WERE taken WAY out of context by the media. :(

Which was discussed by NoLeafClover & myself last week before the Cleveland game. The starting Offense has not scored a TD in the last FIVE pre season games. Had Garçon not had the drop last week, they'd have had a TD last week.

And if Aldrick Robinson gets his second foot down in the end zone in last year's 1st preseason game, we would have had another one.

Archived