Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins vs. Lions - Final

JimmiJo

Our OL better get their act together. They're getting called out by most major news outlets and they contributed to their starting QB getting a concussion in freaking preseason. I don't care who is at QB, that blocking performance was unacceptable and would get pretty much any QB killed.

The one thing different about the OL this year compared to the last few seasons is that I think Callahan is a much better coach and will tinker a bit and get the best five guys out there. I just have a lot more faith in his coaching ability and feel that once #71 is at LT and the work that Callahan will do before the season starts with the players gives me more confidence than when Forester was the OL coach. Also hoping they can somehow pick up a good blocking TE soon.

dkn......rising/

Concussion only for RG3. Shoulder is fine. "He's still our starter" says Gruden in post game presser. #Redskins

RGIII won't be the starter for long.  I'd have to put my money it at this point. 

Regardless of the OL protection, holding the ball is a known flaw.  Drop backs are not consistent enough.  He's singing the same ol' song.  I think it's his last season by all indications.  Not sure where he would end up, but I'd have to put my money on Cousins getting another shot at leading the offense. 

Even when you have TW in, then what is left???  Def. Coorinators are going to have a lot of fun against this OL all year. 

This is a very bad team.  $.02

I assume Gruden means he is the starter for the season.

It is up in the air if Griffin plays next week vs. the Ravens.

Agreed. And that starter for the season might change after next week. They obviously want to see him under center and have called all of his plays that way. But he hasnt done anything to make anyone who knows football think he is a starting QB in the NFL. Maybe if Garcon doesnt drop the bal last week things are different. But Cousins has been killing it in the preseason. He has earned some time with starters IMO.

A caller brought this up and Al Gauldi added to her point:  All we've been hearing in training camp and practice is how much shotgun, and moving Robert in the pocket is being run, but then in both games we are seeing very little of it being called. Everyone seems kind of puzzled as to why what they are practicing is not being run with Robert in the actual games, yet with McCoy and Cousins you see that same stuff implemented into the game plan.

Could they be trying to hide their intent and not be showing their hand as to what is actually planned? The only problem I see with this strategy is you can't go out and get the QB hurt in the preseason in hopes of hiding something for the regular season.  The main thing that seems not "right" about it is that we see plenty of bootlegs and rolling of the pocket types of plays once McKoy and Cousins entered the game so I too am kind of left scratching my head.

The one thing different about the OL this year compared to the last few seasons is that I think Callahan is a much better coach and will tinker a bit and get the best five guys out there. I just have a lot more faith in his coaching ability and feel that once #71 is at LT and the work that Callahan will do before the season starts with the players gives me more confidence than when Forester was the OL coach. Also hoping they can somehow pick up a good blocking TE soon.

Agreed. Can't expect Callahan to turn them into a great OL over night. Definitely work in progress. Potential is there. They looked ok vs. Cleveland save for Luavao, and Cleveland invested a lot in their DL in the offseason. I'm hoping this was just symptomatic of Trent being out and Detroit taking advantage. Yes, BTE is needed badly! Really would like to see Lauvao replaced with Koundijo

A caller brought this up and Al Gauldi added to her point:  All we've been hearing in training camp and practice is how much shotgun, and moving Robert in the pocket is being run, but then in both games we are seeing very little of it being called. Everyone seems kind of puzzled as to why what they are practicing is not being run with Robert in the actual games, yet with McCoy and Cousins you see that same stuff implemented into the game plan.

Could they be trying to hide their intent and not be showing their hand as to what is actually planned? The only problem I see with this strategy is you can't go out and get the QB hurt in the preseason in hopes of hiding something for the regular season.  The main thing that seems not "right" about it is that we see plenty of bootlegs and rolling of the pocket types of plays once McKoy and Cousins entered the game so I too am kind of left scratching my head.

Griffin said in an interview recently that what they are running in preseason is not what they will be running in the regular season.

Talked about it being very vanilla right now.

Eh, we'll see.

I'm a HUGE Alfred Morris fan......Statistically, he has more than proven his self. And it's waaaaaaaaaay to early to say this, but I'm going to say it anyway. Matt Jones is the best RB on this team......He's a suped up Alfred Morris....

Someone earlier in the thread said they like Matt Jones and thought he would make the 53 man roster. Uhmm.. yea. Ya think? He might be one of the 10 best players on the team. 

Someone earlier in the thread said they like Matt Jones and thought he would make the 53 man roster. Uhmm.. yea. Ya think? He might be one of the 10 best players on the team.

Agreed...I remember when Jones was drafted that there was a lot of commotion on this board about him not being that good or worth a third round pick.

A caller brought this up and Al Gauldi added to her point: All we've been hearing in training camp and practice is how much shotgun, and moving Robert in the pocket is being run, but then in both games we are seeing very little of it being called. Everyone seems kind of puzzled as to why what they are practicing is not being run with Robert in the actual games, yet with McCoy and Cousins you see that same stuff implemented into the game plan.

Could they be trying to hide their intent and not be showing their hand as to what is actually planned? The only problem I see with this strategy is you can't go out and get the QB hurt in the preseason in hopes of hiding something for the regular season. The main thing that seems not "right" about it is that we see plenty of bootlegs and rolling of the pocket types of plays once McKoy and Cousins entered the game so I too am kind of left scratching my head.

Down & distance. You don't run a boot on 3rd & long cause the D knows you're not going to run the ball.

Griffin was and will be the starter when the regular season rolls around. Tonight's QB play simply reminds me why I don't watch preseason: There's little to get attached to. It may or may not be vanilla, the QBs may or may not suck eggs, and some people may or may not make the roster.

Preseason is meaningless, and I find it dull anyway. I'll make my conclusions based off of what I see in regular season games. I liked what I saw of Rex Grossman lighting up 2nd and 3rd stringers in 2010's preseason, and I don't feel like taking that ride again.

I love the "vanilla" talk. Then in the regular season we look just as bad as we did in pre season.

Exactly. It's one thing to play "vanilla." But when you're incompetent, that has nothing to do with vanilla.

A caller brought this up and Al Gauldi added to her point:  All we've been hearing in training camp and practice is how much shotgun, and moving Robert in the pocket is being run, but then in both games we are seeing very little of it being called. Everyone seems kind of puzzled as to why what they are practicing is not being run with Robert in the actual games, yet with McCoy and Cousins you see that same stuff implemented into the game plan

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes, NoCalMike.

What was McCoy's first pass play? Bootleg roll out. I'm like, "what?"

They only now decided to get the QB out of the ******* pocket after Rob got hit 6 out of 8 dropbacks?

Then unbelievablely Colt's third "non-run" was a read option call. I repeat, a read option call for McCoy.

Rob looked real bad but what is this staff doing? Why is he declared the starter if he's gonna play THIS bad? What are they doing in TC? What is the plan here? I understand he needs to see live bullets, and get comfortable in the pocket but I honestly think he'd be safer dodging traffic on the highway than playing from a pocket with Willie Smith at LT AND TOM COMPTON AT TE!!!!! ON THE FIRST UNIT!!!! WHAT IN THE ACTUAL ****!!!!

I'm just so damn tired of trying to figure this team out, I wouldn't flinch if Gruden and all three QBs were gone tomorrow.

Archived