Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ricochet:Jerry Seinfeld and the Progressive Comedy Pause

nonniey

I agree.

but screw this crap. Sounds like hes describing Bill Maher's crowd. Funny is funny, I don't care. I do not like the "f" word for gay people, but if it's part of a punchline, I'm gonna laugh. Same thing for "n-word" jokes

Cry me a river if people are offended by liberal comedy. Boo ****ing hoo. I laughs whatever's funny, **** a pause

I agree with this.  I can't remember the comedian, it wasn't Katt Williams but it was someone similar to him.  Anyway, back in the late 90's he had an HBO or Showtime special that was great and he just made fun of everyone, ripped all races and minorities up and down.  It was offensive, it was hilarious.  It wouldn't have gone over well these days.  But at the end he said something like "we're all different, we all need to laugh at ourselves, we all need to laugh at each other, etc" I can't remember for the life of me who it was and he said it more poignantly than I just summed up but it was a great moment.  Insightful.

People used to ask me all the time why i didn't do political cartoons.

And it's because half your audience hates you and are not at all shy about letting you know it.

I got enough hate mail making fun of the Eagles.. 

~Bang

**** the Eagles.

I call cowardice. The point of stand up all the way back to the court jester was to prod, to poke, and to satirize. You're supposed to laugh, but it's also supposed to make you think, reflect, and act. If these comics want to touch on areas of politics, sex, race, choice of pudding, etc. then their audience shouldn't just be willing, mindless, buffoons ready to cheer them and laugh at all their brilliance. They should be ready for the heckler, for the questioner, and even the guy who disagrees. It's been that way forever.

This goes double if you are not just joke comic, but a commentator or social critic like a Chris Rock. As much as we many of us love the classic routines of George Carlin, they were provocative... Carlin probably enjoyed the fact that his audience might spend a second to think about what he was saying. He's not doing what Abbott and Costello were doing.

So, boo on the timid, thin skinned comic who gets offended by an audience that doesn't bow to their every brilliant whit and wile. 

Didn't Louis CK recently get hammered for offending people with his SNL opening act?

That performance was an excellent example of this. You could feel the audience trying to decide if it was ok to laugh. I can't even imagine how hard he had to work to get this through Standards and Practices.

You know one of the early conversations I always have with friends...

If you can't laugh at yourself or your friends ? What's the point.

One of my favorite comics is Bobby Slayton...he makes fun of his wife, his kids, his religion, his race, gays, every other race, you name it he makes jokes about it, including himself.

Comedy is important to me. I would laugh if it was funny, Dave Chapelle is better on his show than live. Damon Wayans is better live than on a show. I've seen tons of shows.

So many comedians of recent times...fall by the wayside, because they simply weren't that good to begin with.

That performance was an excellent example of this. You could feel the audience trying to decide if it was ok to laugh. I can't even imagine how hard he had to work to get this through Standards and Practices.

Hmmmm. Got to disagree. Not really a good example In my opinion.

The ENTIRE point of that set was to make you uncomfortable. That is why it was so funny. Half his bit is playing off that uncomfortable "Oh no!!!" reaction. If everyone just laughs - then it actually isn't funny and the bit doesn't work.

Your are supposed to feel conflicted.

In fact, what makes Louis CK so damn good is he can take an audience to some strange places and get away with it. It is a great skill.

Now the "outrage" on Twitter by some idiots - that was stupid.

The liberal mindset is to create a world where everyone is free from ridicule or scorn at all times. Nobody should ever be made to feel uncomfortable or like they don't belong. In anything. Always. Fat people should never be made fun of. Gays should never be made fun of. Trannys, off limits. Nobody should be uncomfortable, ever (except as noted above, the Irish are fair game)

In avoiding all this misery, they've created a miserable world. It's pretty hilarious if you think about it

[youtuhttps://youtu.be/yzh7RtIJKZk

That was everything comedy should be. Pushing the limits of what we should find funny. Just outstanding

And hilarious

Cornball ass liberals, make me sad to be a liberal sometimes

Funny is funny, I shouldn't be guilted into not laughing because a controversial joke makes me laugh. I'd love to do a stand up, nobody is off limits. Deadbeat black dads, corny ass white people, cartwheeling gays, and less than 1400 SAT scoring asians.

If anything I said just annoyed you, I suggest you loosen your sphincter, cuz you're a chump. This is america, I'm gonna laugh at what's funny.

The liberal mindset is to create a world where everyone is free from ridicule or scorn at all times. Nobody should ever be made to feel uncomfortable or like they don't belong. In anything. Always. Fat people should never be made fun of. Gays should never be made fun of. Trannys, off limits. Nobody should be uncomfortable, ever (except as noted above, the Irish are fair game)

In avoiding all this misery, they've created a miserable world. It's pretty hilarious if you think about it

Don't forget Tennessee hillbillies.

Really though, you're good with making such a blanket statement as "the liberal mindset"?   You sound like Rush or Hannity there. There is a subset of people from any category who will jump to decry any perceived offense, but it's a relatively small subset.  That's not to say it isn't an issue, but it's better discussed without that broad brush you're wielding.

Standards and tastes evolve.

In the 50s, your grandparents were falling over themselves laughing because Milton Bearle was wearing an evening gown. Watch 5 minutes of Milton Bearle now, and tell me if anything he says is funny. On the other hand, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, and Andy Griffith are still really funny. Don Knotts translates to the 21st century. That old Borscht Belt stuff doesn't.

When Andrew Dice Clay made his "comeback" with the Woody Allen movie, I pulled up some of his old stuff on youtube. I was between 14 and 15 when he hit which made me basically his target audience. Some of the stuff is still somewhat entertaining, but the 5 minute bit about black guys and Japanese guys buying condoms? Not funny. And the joke about bombing the Japanese with fertilizer? Big time not funny.

Early Sam Kinison still holds up for the most part. Later period Sam Kinison where he is having audience members call ex girlfriends and calling them ****es and whores is really not funny. But this stuff was on HBO all the time 25 years ago.

You can still clearly talk about race. Chris Rock and Louis CK do it all the time and are the biggest comics in the world.

And there is clearly still a market for the Artie Lange/Nick DiPaolo crude, sexist humor stuff.

But - yea - hacky stuff on sexual or racist stereotypes is probably not going to fly. I don't know if it's necessarily because we are PC or because that some of stuff just doesn't see funny after 50 years.

It's not like Jerry Seinfeld's brand of observational humor is particularly fresh after 30 years of Evening at the Improvs and a million Seinfeld imitators.

Really though, you're good with making such a blanket statement as "the liberal mindset"?   You sound like Rush or Hannity there. There is a subset of people from any category who will jump to decry any perceived offense, but it's a relatively small subset.  That's not to say it isn't an issue, but it's better discussed without that broad brush you're wielding.

Yes, I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm also comfortable using the conservative mindset in many cases.

One of my favorite comics is Bobby Slayton...he makes fun of his wife, his kids, his religion, his race, gays, every other race, you name it he makes jokes about it, including himself.

I haven't seen Bobby Slayton in 20 years. Is he still doing basically the same act?

He was basically a modern day (for 1990) Borscht Belt guy. Just rapid fire jokes - a decent percentage of which were funny.

bull ****.

its always been the liberal domain to worry and whine and fret and wet their pants with worry over every thing... kinda like the nobeleth crusadors againest librrrl oppression in this thread.   

it is the role of comedy to push things into uncomfortable places and make you laugh.  It is also the role of assholes to be assholes, and then shrug and say.. "can't cha take a joke?? we was just kiddin, donchaknow?"   it is the role of real people to know the ****ing difference, and not put up with assholes.   

They ARE the Irish. Look in any Appalachian phone book.

If you visit a trailer park in rural wv or tn, I guarantee the fat lady wearing the moomoo chasing her 5 naked kids is Irish

bull ****.

its always been the liberal domain to worry and whine and fret and wet their pants with worry over every thing... kinda like the nobeleth crusadors againest librrrl oppression in this thread.   

it is the role of comedy to push things into uncomfortable places and make you laugh.  It is also the role of assholes to be assholes, and then shrug and say.. "can't cha take a joke?? we was just kiddin, donchaknow?"   it is the role of real people to know the ****ing difference, and not put up with assholes.

Do you ever get tired of having the same exact opinion in every single thread on ES? Serious question

I could enter into any thread in the tailgate and post your opinion. I really could

If you really want to delve into this in an interesting way, I suggest finding the Gallagher/Marc Maron WTF interview - where Gallagher eventually storms out on Maron.

There are a few dudes who really get hung up on this issue. Colin Quinn is a big one. And, frankly, I think the issue with Colin Quinn is that he's simply not that funny in general. He's been around forever and can be decent at times and in small doses. But I'm not sure you could pay me to watch a one hour Colin Quinn show.

To jump back to Maron, he talks a lot about "the delivery system" of a comedian. Louis CK can get away with racial stuff because his delivery system is perfect. Sarah Silverman can get away with it. I don't think Lisa Lampinelli is funny at all, but she does have the right delivery system for what she does. If she didn't, it would just be an unattractive woman saying horrible things.

Artie Lange sometimes runs into this problem. He's funny, but sometimes he just blurts out stuff that sounds like things a fat belligerent drunk at a bar would say. The Twitter fiasco he had a few months back with the black sports reporter falls into that. Like...there was the germ of a funny idea in there somewhere, but basically it just came across as a lot of racist, sexist bull****.

Where the "PC" stuff comes in is the totally unnecessary over-reaction you sometimes get to this stuff.

I haven't seen Bobby Slayton in 20 years. Is he still doing basically the same act?

He was basically a modern day (for 1990) Borscht Belt guy. Just rapid fire jokes - a decent percentage of which were funny.

I don't see him every time...been about 12 years.

I can still laugh though. Certainly he was rapid fire aggressive while telling his jokes.

I appreciate that he has the mindset of...we are all people. There are funny things, traditions, jokes to be made...about all of us.

Times change and so does what we find funny. Watch Eddie Murphy's 80s stuff and try not to cringe, it's awful by today's standards. But you can't be blind to that fact that now they've changed into social media campaigns, lawsuits, and title IX investigations. There is a significant difference in the consequences of stepping on the line or over it now.

They ARE the Irish. Look in any Appalachian phone book.

If you visit a trailer park in rural wv or tn, I guarantee the fat lady wearing the moomoo chasing her 5 naked kids is Irish

Do you ever get tired of having the same exact opinion in every single thread on ES? Serious question

I could enter into any thread in the tailgate and post your opinion. I really could

my opinions are like beatles songs.  they are only awesomely obviously correct in their simplicity AFTER they have been said. 

Times change and so does what we find funny. Watch Eddie Murphy's 80s stuff and try not to cringe, it's awful by today's standards. But you can't be blind to that fact that now they've changed into social media campaigns, lawsuits, and title IX investigations. There is a significant difference in the consequences of stepping on the line or over it now.

I guess my question is, Are you angry that society is now telling you that AIDS jokes aren't funny?

Eddie is fascinating, because some of his stuff is still hysterical and his charisma in those specials is still off the charts. But the endless jokes about faggots? I mean, am I actually supposed to find that funny now? I guess I don't quite get what people are mad about.

Some things just don't hold up over time. Lenny Bruce to a modern ear is not funny. You can see the importance, but it's not funny.

Here is one opinion of mine that liberals hate: Bill Hicks doesn't particularly hold up. Part of that is just how topical he was. But there's an anger and bitterness to his later stuff that has curdled a bit over the years. I'm convinced that if Hicks had lived, he would never have been a big success and would be a regular guest on Alex Jones right now.

Archived