Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ricochet:Jerry Seinfeld and the Progressive Comedy Pause

nonniey

Did you read the OP? The uneasiness of the crowd on SNL.. Considered the most edgy crowd in existence, etc

Louis CK's entire career is based on making crowds uneasy. In his last special, he made a joke about how it's entirely possible that his nephew with the peanut allergy is supposed to die. (And the SNL crowd is mostly tourists from Ohio, half of whom probably didn't even know who Louis CK was).

Seinfeld has been on this particular kick for a few years now - which is rather odd considering the odds of his stand up act offending anyone are virtually nil.

My coworker and I were just talking about Ace Ventura Pet Detective with regards to this story. Think how that would go over today with the PC crowd. Especially the Finkle is Einhorn, Einhorn is Finkle scene.

I think that would still work fine, though the payoff scene would probably have to be structured differently. I mean, that was basically a riff on The Crying Game which is a 20 year old movie that few people remember.

Louis CK's entire career is based on making crowds uneasy. In his last special, he made a joke about how it's entirely possible that his nephew with the peanut allergy is supposed to die. (And the SNL crowd is mostly tourists from Ohio, half of whom probably didn't even know who Louis CK was).

Seinfeld has been on this particular kick for a few years now - which is rather odd considering the odds of his stand up act offending anyone are virtually nil.

There is a very definite shift in the social climate that you and others are trying to say is just the normal order of things... what the kids are doing (as always), or just changing tastes

What I and others are saying is that this is not the normal progression.  There is a disease in our society of rampant PC that is being exacerbated by technology and social media.  Whether Seinfeld is funny or dangerous is not the issue... he is in fact correct.

And no, Ace Ventura would not play well today.  Sure, people might laugh, but the usual suspects would take to twitter and shame everyone for making fun of a tranny.  the tide would then turn and Jim Carrey would be labeled a bigot.

Did you read the OP? The uneasiness of the crowd on SNL.. Considered the most edgy crowd in existence, etc

I mentioned it before - but that is the entire point of his bit to get that reaction. You are supposed to feel uneasy about a joke about the hypothetical pleasure of child molesting. Most of his act is playing back and forth with the audience "oh no!" reaction. It is what makes it funny. I have seen him live twice, he thrives on it. His bit about "of course....but maybe" is another example.

The 2:30 mark is the whole key the joke.

Again, I think folks are confusing two different things:

1) Twitter social media warriors who are seemingly offended by everything calling for comedians to be fired or boycotted over jokes they don't like = stupid.

2) Audience members cringing and pausing before laughing because a comic is doing a routine that is purposefully attempting to get that reaction = comedy.

The liberal mindset is to create a world where everyone is free from ridicule or scorn at all times. Nobody should ever be made to feel uncomfortable or like they don't belong. In anything. Always. Fat people should never be made fun of. Gays should never be made fun of. Trannys, off limits. Nobody should be uncomfortable, ever (except as noted above, the Irish are fair game)

In avoiding all this misery, they've created a miserable world. It's pretty hilarious if you think about it

Which is of course why yo find so many great conservative stand ups and in fact almost no liberal ones at all. :roll eyes:

Bet we can name ten comics w a liberal mindset for every conservative one you can think of.

Which is of course why yo find so many great conservative stand ups and in fact almost no liberal ones at all. :roll eyes:

Bet we can name ten comics w a liberal mindset for every conservative one you can think of.

Are you kidding me? There is right wing comedy everywhere these days. Watch an episode or two of fox and friends and tell me that isn't satire. It's like a less subtle Colbert Report without the laugh track.

1) Twitter social media warriors who are seemingly offended by everything calling for comedians to be fired or boycotted over jokes they don't like = stupid.

2) Audience members cringing and pausing before laughing because a comic is doing a routine that is purposefully attempting to get that reaction = comedy.

I think that's probably correct.

And no, Ace Ventura would not play well today.  Sure, people might laugh, but the usual suspects would take to twitter and shame everyone for making fun of a tranny.  the tide would then turn and Jim Carrey would be labeled a bigot.

You couldn't do it the exact same way which was basically to point at the trans-sexual and laugh. But you could certainly do a variation of it.

Explore:

Would Mike Tysons Punch Out fly in today's world?

The characters in it? No. You could do a version of it, but you couldn't have a queer Spaniard or whatever the hell that was along with some dude in a turban with a Tiger.

You also probably couldn't have a drug addicted convicted rapist selling a children's toy.

Explore:

Would Mike Tysons Punch Out fly in today's world?

At the same time, could you have sold GTA in 1989?

At the same time, could you have sold GTA in 1989?

If you're basing in on the graphics of the time? Perhaps. Not like violent videogames were unknown back then, and the violence was vastly tamed down simply due to the limitations of the hardware at the time. Doom and Wolfenstein 3D were early 90's games that were pretty graphic for the time, but they were huge sellers.

But if this is a scenario where we're taking a fully-functional PS4/HDTV back to 1989 via time machine, then hell no. No way that game gets past the moral guardians. Video games, movies, TV (imagine South Park attempting to premiere a decade before it did, when The Simpson, of all things, was controversial) all change the landscape for what comes after.

You want an example? I'm a South Park fan. Go back and watch an early (season 1 I think) episode "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride." It was ****ing shocking in the mid-90's that a "Gay is OK" message was on a TV show. Watch that episode now and it's hokey and full of awful stereotypes that would get Matt and Trey banned from TV today.

I'm late to the party on the Louis CK thing but...goddamn, I don't get it.  I think I've missed the boat on Louis CK, I think he's alright but I don't think he's amazing.  On a different note, I don't see how people are getting super offended by that SNL skit.  

Carlin said it best, it's the pussification of America.  

I'm late to the party on the Louis CK thing but...goddamn, I don't get it. I think I've missed the boat on Louis CK, I think he's alright but I don't think he's amazing. On a different note, I don't see how people are getting super offended by that SNL skit.

Carlin said it best, it's the pussification of America.

That's exactly what he said and he is exactly right. A bunch of pussies sitting around afraid of everything. That's PC at its zenith

That's exactly what he said and he is exactly right. A bunch of pussies sitting around afraid of everything. That's PC at its zenith

It's worse..   it's a bunch of pussies sitting around looking for any reason to pounce on someone else.

Helps keep anyone from smelling their own ****.

~Bang

Mortal Kombat was pretty graphic and around close to that time.

The censors have always been much more concerned about sex and swearing than violence though.

I'm assuming he meant more along the lines of the storyline that involves glorifying all kinds of crime and underworld activity.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the game still could've been published and sold.  Parents are notoriously bad at tracking, controlling, or even caring about what exactly is in the video games and TV their kids experience.  For that matter The Godfather and Goodfellas are considered classic cinema, and while they may strive to deliver a more realistic perspective, the argument that they don't glorify organized crime doesn't hold much water to me.  We eat that **** up.

Archived