Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ricochet:Jerry Seinfeld and the Progressive Comedy Pause

nonniey

It's worse..   it's a bunch of pussies sitting around looking for any reason to pounce on someone else.

Helps keep anyone from smelling their own ****.

~Bang

its worse than that.. its a bunch of people sitting around wetting their pants about the possibility that people might be complaining more about stuff in the future...

polite is good (PC).  mincing excessively and trying to find offense is bad (PC police).  whining excessively about others mincing about other's manners is also bad.  (antiPC police)  

caveat: unless you can whine about it in a cool funny way, then you are George Carlin---- but 84.98% of the antiPC-whiners aren't funny--- which means that if you are antiPC police, there is a highly significant chance that you are just a whiner, and not funny.  //QED

Who are the current super-successful liberal political standups? I'm talking people who spend a decent amount of their act talking about political parties and foreign policy and such....

Lewis Black

Bill Maher - though he is libertarian more than anything....

David Cross

That's kind of it.

Jon Stewart, I guess, but I don't think he really does the road any longer.

"Political comedy" has sort of died over the last 20 years. Everyone is now either confessional, observational, or a shock comic.

Was listening to the Robert Kelly podcast and he said comics don't go to colleges because the environment has changed. Back in the day it was an open and tolerant place. It was a place to explore ideas. Things changed. It's now a politically correct environment and you can get shredded apart for saying something remotely offensive.

Comedy by default tends to border on the offensive. People are going to have to deal with it. I heard on the legion podcast you can't pick and choose. What offends you might not offend someone else.

I'd throw Janeane Garofalo, DL Hughley, and Stephen Colbert into that list as well. 

Is Garofalo touring again? It seems like she was basically retired from comedy.

Hughley is a good call. Forgot about him.

Colbert...I'm interested in seeing what his show is like. It's entirely possible that he could just go completely away from politics, like Fallon has done for the most part.

Is Garofalo touring again? It seems like she was basically retired from comedy.

Colbert...I'm interested in seeing what his show is like. It's entirely possible that he could just go completely away from politics, like Fallon has done for the most part.

Yes, she is touring again.

http://eventful.com/performers/janeane-garofalo-/P0-001-000038055-2

As for Colbert - you are probably correct that he will tone it down and be like Fallon. Although he could always go edgier like Craig Ferguson did on the Late Late Show.

Who are the current super-successful liberal political standups? I'm talking people who spend a decent amount of their act talking about political parties and foreign policy and such....

Lewis Black

Bill Maher - though he is libertarian more than anything....

David Cross

That's kind of it.

Jon Stewart, I guess, but I don't think he really does the road any longer.

"Political comedy" has sort of died over the last 20 years. Everyone is now either confessional, observational, or a shock comic.

A shame Bill Hicks died when he did.

I can't say that I could gather a lot of enthusiasm to see a 50-something Janeane Garofalo playing The Black Cat. I feel like they should be selling Fruitopia during that show.

I really needed something to drink on my way home late a few weeks back and McDonald's was the only place open to get something, and they were selling a Fruitopia branded beverage. I was on the way back from seeing a Faith No More concert, and the largest drink size only cost me a dollar. I felt as if I had stumbled upon a wormhole to 1993.

Also, you're spot on with your opinion of Bill Hicks 2015, though I tend to think he would have killed himself in the early 2000s due the fact that after all his KILL THE ELEPHANT bits, there was still a George Bush in the White House, and Limbaugh was still going strong.

It's kind of like Unions ... now, I'm no political science major, or expert on labor issues, but it sounds like at one time Unions were a good idea.  The larger corporations back in the day seem to have their way with the common worker ... but then Unions grew out of control. My wife is a teacher and she refuses to join her local union because of how sketchy they are. 

I think political correctness had a noble and legitimate standing at one point and was needed - badly. But like everything else, it's grown totally unchecked and now it's way over the top. 

I think one of hte most brilliant things ever coined was "mild racism"  Louis CK is a damn genius. 

I really needed something to drink on my way home late a few weeks back and McDonald's was the only place open to get something, and they were selling a Fruitopia branded beverage. I was on the way back from seeing a Faith No More concert, and the largest drink size only cost me a dollar. I felt as if I had stumbled upon a wormhole to 1993.

Also, you're spot on with your opinion of Bill Hicks 2015, though I tend to think he would have killed himself in the early 2000s due the fact that after all his KILL THE ELEPHANT bits, there was still a George Bush in the White House, and Limbaugh was still going strong.

The very last Hicks bits where he knows he is dying and is still playing these tiny rooms is a bit tough to listen to.

Had he lived, he had a few paths he could go on....but his relevancy today would probably totally depend on whether he got into podcasting before Marc Maron. I do think his podcast could possibly just be weekly 60 minute rants against Denis Leary.

Speaking of podcasts, your story reminded me of a story I had Bobcat Goldthwait tell on a podcast. He said he was in a store in LA a few years ago, and said to himself "Hey....that looks like a fat Andrew Dice Clay" only to discover it was a fat Andrew Dice Clay. He said he then looked around to see if Emo Phillips might be in the same store. 

Archived