Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

Supposedly it obstructs the drivers vision so its an easy citation. Its not just air fresheners but anything hanging from the rear view mirror. More importantly imo is that its used as an excuse to start a confrontation. This was the same cat (the guy who told me) I grew up with that was pulled out of the car with me in Waldorf cause we looked like we didn't know where we were going. So i took it seriously when he told me I had to take my fuzzy dice off of my mirror (i loved those fuzzy dice) cause I trust him. 

I’ve had air fresheners hanging from rear view mirror. I had a grumpy cat hanging from my car mirror.

Guess it depends where u live.

19 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

OK, after seeing the body cam footage...

The officer was like, "Oh God, I shot him!" and was clearly shocked that she had done so. 

While she didn't mean to shoot him, she's still a tremendous liability in law enforcement.  In a strange way, I feel sorry for her having to live with that though.

• Like 4

Yeah she clearly thought she had her taser in hand.

But ****, if you don't know the difference between a taser and a gun in your hands, let alone where they are on your person, you shouldn't be a ****ing police officer.  The end result is the same whatever accident it was - a young black man is dead and now his kid grows up without a father.  ****.

• Like 6

Ugh. I mean it’s not that a racist cop being a racist cop is “better” but her life is now ruined and obviously it was a mistake. It’s just another life ruined in the situation that shouldn’t have happened. (At least with the racist cop it’s a racist cop’s life ruined and I don’t care about that ...)

the question is does that merit charges .... definitely lose job. Charges?

accidental discharge for a normal person would heavily depend on the situation/state.... like screwing around or drugs/alcohol involved? Probably every time. Hunting accident? Probably never so long as it was a legit accident. How does being a police officer responding to a fleeing suspect during arrest with a warrant work? On the one hand they should be held to a higher standard on the other.... I don’t know. 

Also having your gun in that spot was incredibly dangerous to her fellow officers as well. Not that it matters. Just pointing it out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

the question is does that merit charges .... definitely lose job. Charges?

An innocent man is dead, because she negligently pulled the wrong weapon and ended his life.  There are plenty of 'oops my bad' accidents that happen on the job, this however cannot be one of them.  While I do feel sorry for her having to live with this for the rest of her life and imagine the weight of what she's done to probably outweigh any potential jail sentence, I don't think you can simply let this go, even if for fear of crooked cops trying to pull the same 'it was an accident' routine in the future.

• Like 2

By the way isn’t this like the 4th person killed by Minneapolis police in recent years that was a national issue?

floyd. This kid. The guy with the concealed permit that got shot sitting in his car reaching for his wallet? Isn’t there at least 1 more? Seems like a lot for one department in a short period of time...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

An innocent man is dead, because she negligently pulled the wrong weapon and ended his life.  There are plenty of 'oops my bad' accidents that happen on the job, this however cannot be one of them. 

I hear you. I’ve come around quite a bit on the issue but I’ll always have trouble when the civilian does something like that and it’s obvious the cop made a mistake. 

im not saying she isn’t responsible. I am just saying I personally am completely unsure of what a “correct” outcome is here. 

I do know that based on that video I expect everyone to retreat to their corners and this won’t really get any nuance. It’ll be treated like all the others. For comparisons purposes I see Floyd’s death as heinous and idk what I see this as yet. Furthermore there are other cases where the cop did as trained and to me it’s really a question of “is that how they should be trained then?” And this appears as though she simply made a mistake 

it does make me wonder if simply mounting a taser on the other side is adequate.... like... did she just absolutely screw up or is the idea of carrying both and just putting them on opposite sides a terrible idea? I don’t know how you would even do it better. I don’t know what Minneapolis police carry for either but every taser I’ve seen looks and feels very different...

• Thanks 1

I’ve said this before, but Americans in general are too accepting of cops pointing a guns at people.  If you have a thousand frightened cops pointing their guns at a thousand frightened people...  you’re going to end up with people shot, that shouldn’t have been shot.  There’s no way around this.  No politics are necessary.  It’s just math and predictable results.

Once the guns are out and aimed at a human being things get really dangerous. The fact that many police encounters reach this point almost immediately, no doubt results in a lot of shootings that didn’t need to happen.  There’s a reason civilians can’t go around pointing guns at each other “just in case”.  That reason is because doing so gets people killed.  When you learn to shoot one of the first things they teach you is never aim your gun at something you don’t intend to shoot.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

...pulled out of the car with me in Waldorf cause we looked like we didn't know where we were going.

I've lost count at how many times I've been pulled over or stopped by the police for reasons just like this. A few times it was "a car like yours was reported stolen"--I refrained from saying "Was my license plate reported, too? Or are grey Hondas that rare?"

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

I hear you. I’ve come around quite a bit on the issue but I’ll always have trouble when the civilian does something like that and it’s obvious the cop made a mistake. 

im not saying she isn’t responsible. I am just saying I personally am completely unsure of what a “correct” outcome is here.

Manslaughter charges...negligence...something should apply other than "She didn't mean to." When you entrust someone with that much power and arm them with weapons that can easily kill, the level of responsibility they hold should be through the roof and the repercussions of failing to uphold those responsibilities should be serious and swift.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think it is just guns. We are too accepting of guns. 

Having small children now, it’s amazing their presence in movies, books and shows. 

and they exist in kids stuff in a weirdly accepted way. They may not be called guns, they may not look like guns, but they sure as **** are things one character picks up, points at another, and a projectile flies out to hurt the other character. That’s only a subset of the overall violence. 

its not that I think everything should be Sesame Street level counting and abcs all the time, but I’m thoroughly surprised there hasn’t been a huge outcry about the amount of violence in supposedly children shows/movies

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just saw the video. Obviously he should have not resisted and tried to flee, and the officer made a horrible mistake. I'm not sure what can be done other than better training and hiring more competent officers. I believe I read she was a veteran of the force. Just a really bad situation. 

Watching the va police video, and I wish we had someone from law enforcement to confirm crap like this here, but I believe that once an officer elevated a stop to a felony stop the book on how that’s gonna go down is already written. It’s not like other officers show up and go “so, why is this a felony stop? What exactly did you see? Are you sure?”

there really isn’t time for that. You show up and quickly figure out your role/position and then do your job... and guns drawn, orders barked, compliance demanded is part of a felony stop and I don’t believe there is another ‘way.’  The onus in the situation is on the initial decision to declare it a felony stop - and once that’s happened it’s sorta auto pilot. 

maybe that needs to change.

also maybe we need people that don’t carry guns making road side stops. 

and maybe the fire department would benefit from increased funding, training, and different vehicles to handle more things like mental health calls. Everyone hates cops. No one hates firefighters. Maybe just a different tone at the outset would matter. 

maybe reserve the police with the guns and the bullet proof vests and the rifles for when there’s a robbery, or car jacking. Or warrants. That sorta thing. 

I realize the road side stop is where most of them die, but maybe we don’t need dudes with guns patrolling for trouble anymore. Maybe we can fight crime a different way. Maybe let someone else handle the “you were 10 mph over the speed limit” or the “your tags were expired” stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judge again holds Town of Mooresville in civil contempt over failure to return cash

The Town of Mooresville, after having their motion for dismissal denied Monday, is once again being held in civil contempt of court for failing to return nearly $17,000 to Jermaine Sanders seized during an investigation.

District Judge Christine Underwood, who presided over the hearing that in February where the initial contempt order was issued, ruled that the appeal filed by the Town of Mooresville was ‘untimely and led to a jurisdictional failure’.

“Civil contempt must be appealed according to the rules of civil cases,” Underwood said.

Ashley Cannon, the attorney representing Sanders, called the ruling a big win, not only for Sanders but for the future precedent of similar monetary seizure cases.

“This is the court reaffirming, again, that the Town of Mooresville and the Mooresville Police department need to return Mr. Sanders his money,” Cannon said after the hearing. “We’ve litigated this issue four times and the court has said that the seizure was illegal.”

Underwood stated that the Town of Mooresville will have seven days from the official filing of the order to comply and return the money or, as was requested by Cannon, the court will consider issuing orders to arrest both the Town Manager of Mooresville, Randy Hemann, and the Chief of Police, Ron Campurciani.

Click on the link for the full article

This definitely looks like a horrible mistake to me. I actually do feel bad for the officer because if she’s any kind of a decent person, she’ll never get over this. That said, the kid she killed won’t ever get over it either and there needs to be accountability. Given that Tazers are a different color and are typically worn on the opposite side from the firearm, I don’t think it’s a stretch to call this negligent homicide. Given what’s at stake, you simply can’t ever make this mistake. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Manslaughter charges...negligence...something should apply other than "She didn't mean to." When you entrust someone with that much power and arm them with weapons that can easily kill, the level of responsibility they hold should be through the roof and the repercussions of failing to uphold those responsibilities should be serious and swift.

Not really replying to this one post so much as the general theme. 

I've got to say, I've long stated that I believe that, if a police acted with good intent to do their job, and somebody gets hurt?  The maximum penalty should be losing their job. 

The example I use is a cop firing at a bank robber, misses, and the bullet hits a kid a block behind him. 

Maybe fire the cop for poor judgement. But nothing harder. Just "nope, we don't want to run the risk it might happen again."

I know nothing about the case. But if it really is a case of "Aw, ****!", then I think firing, and that's all, is correct. 

I might even be cool with "no gun, but she can work in the evidence room". 

That might hold water if there was civil liability for police. In most places they’re shielded by qualified immunity so their employer gets sued instead and the taxpayers pick up the tab for their incompetence or negligence. Given that, getting fired isn’t enough when people’s lives are on the line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1