Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Doesn't anyone else find it disturbing that soldiers have rules of engagement, but officers don't? Even worse, the police now have bazookas and actual tanks at their disposal. The same weapons as the military, yet none of the training. I guess they'll have to nuke some black guy in his house before anyone will actually do something, eh?

6 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Even worse, the police now have bazookas and actual tanks at their disposal. The same weapons as the military, yet none of the training. 

What police have bazookas?  Or tanks?

I'm against this shooting as much as anyone, and believe the police have become WAY too militarized,  but I don't know any with tanks and bazookas.  I could totally be wrong but I just don't know any.

40 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What police have bazookas?  Or tanks?

I'm against this shooting as much as anyone, and believe the police have become WAY too militarized,  but I don't know any with tanks and bazookas.  I could totally be wrong but I just don't know any.

Well, grenade launchers and tanks.

Meanwhile in Canada...

'Crazy out there': Increasing violence in North Central Regina has residents looking for solutions

Fifteen years ago, the Regina SWAT team could go 18 months without being called out once. But as of June of this year, in response to a growing gang problem in the city, it had been called into action 29 times. 

At the same time, the city police force has also bought a $375,000 armoured vehicle and decided to put semi-automatic rifles in every patrol car.

regina-police-armoured-vehicle.jpg

Experts, however, tell The Fifth Estate there are other solutions.

"When you move into a community because of violence, you are overwhelmingly moving into a community of colour, and their experience with the police and the law has been long, historic and toxic," said David Kennedy, a criminologist at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

"You do not want to show up in communities like that wearing body armour and masks and in armoured personnel carriers while carrying automatic weapons."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, StillUnknown said:

judge going to give him a hug

And plenty of other Uncle Toms in the community. Her father at least ain’t havin’ it. 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, Chew said:

And heeeeeere we go.  Doesn't gun ownership in Texas mean you're a patriot?

::edit:: apparently pictures taken by police of a gun she owned legally are being  circulated.  

I guess next they’ll be circulating the story that .00000001 grams of drugs were found in her system and that she had a parking ticket 75 years ago. #ThugsWithBadges

I went to a screening of Nate Parker’s new film American Skin last Friday. No matter where you fall in this debate, you should find it and watch. 

Edited by The Sisko

18 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I'm guessing maybe tanks means armored SWAT vehicles? Pretty sure an MBT is out of the budget of any city police department and thoroughly useless for the work they do.

I read an article a few years ago, probably around the time of the Ferguson riots, that talked about how local police were getting military grade equipment for massive discounts, but they would lose the right to have them if they didn't find a use for them. So every few years they get audited, and they have to prove they used the equipment and it has a need. This leads to them using armored SWAT vehicles on a raid on some low-level drug dealer's home for no damn reason. Or pulling it out during protests. Kinda off-topic, but they do have this kind of crap and no, they really don't have a use for it. 

So we have Brown being murdered, and police "found" all of these drugs in his home with an outlandish story. It's pretty obvious what happened there. Biggest gang in America strikes again. 

But now they are murdering innocent women in their homes by shooting them through their window. I keep thinking about the 8 year old nephew who had to witness that. This **** has got to stop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not terribly concerned with police having armored vehicles.  What concerns me is accountability, expectations, and training.  The sorts of things that result in a police officer shooting a home owner through the window while investigating something as minor as a door left open.  

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Seriously, tanks. Some were bought at a discount from the military and some were donated. I believe a law was passed to take them away or stop the military from giving them to police, but that is no longer the case.

Can you source this?  I just want to understand if you mean APCs or literally using tanks.

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Can you source this?  I just want to understand if you mean APCs or literally using tanks.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-military-surplus-equipment-rollback-local-20170828-story.html

There is one story, just from Florida. Granted, they don't have a canon on top, but some have been fitted with mounted machine guns. Now, I don't know how many places lost their military equipment and I don't know how many got them back after Trump over turned the order. Also, I don't know how many districts actually had or have tanks, I guess they're not putting this out in the open?

47 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-military-surplus-equipment-rollback-local-20170828-story.html

There is one story, just from Florida. Granted, they don't have a canon on top, but some have been fitted with mounted machine guns. Now, I don't know how many places lost their military equipment and I don't know how many got them back after Trump over turned the order. Also, I don't know how many districts actually had or have tanks, I guess they're not putting this out in the open?

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that.  I was picturing something more like a small Abrahms though.  These look more like something just used for rough terrain.

Volusia Sheriff Mike Chitwood and Polk Sheriff Grady Judd said because the vehicles have tracks, they are very useful in rural areas and can access a number of terrains.

"I mean, we see in Texas right now with all these rescues, these [tracked] vehicles can get to places we can't and are necessary when needed," Chitwood said.

Has any place actually amounted machine guns or cannons on them?

FTR, I have been all about de-militarizing the police.  I think a major part is getting the majority of them out of the tactical clothing and back onto a more professional looking uniform with a tie and such.  I believe the way one is dressed sets the tone for the way one acts.