Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I never listened to a minute of it--I'd rather listen to Captain and Tennile's Greatest Hits than listen to Reid. Putting him on the air was destined for failure.

Hey, muskrat love was money.

Captains real name was/is 'Daryl Dragon' ...... Wtf is that?!

I never listened to the show, but it seemed like Reid and Jones butted heads quite often? Is that accurate?

It's funny--the show seemed like a disaster from the get-go--but I guarantee it will be twisted around to seem like Snyder and Allen killed it b/c they were criticized too much.

Everyone butts heads with Reid. Monday morning QB was the same situation.

You didn't listen, but have you ever read his articles?

Reid is the epitome of the worst of DC Sports Journalism. That is - all he can do is pot stir. Worse, he seems to only be able to do it with the redskins. If Asburn isn't a dumpster currently on fire Reid is at a loss as to what to discuss.

So you'd have Jones on talking about how the offensive line has improved, or how certain players are making strides, how Crowder looks to be a solid addition, etc. Reid's response owuld just be "OMG NO BUT THEY'RE BAD YOUNG BULL LISTEN TO ME"

And if all else failed he'd just fall back on bringing Griffin into the conversation.

Towards the end Jones would just call him out and talk **** about Reid, on air, to Chris Paul.

Reid is kind of like Jay Cutler. He's had multiple opportunities to prove himself to be a quality analyst. He hasn't. Because he's not.

• Like 4

Everyone butts heads with Reid. Monday morning QB was the same situation.

You didn't listen, but have you ever read his articles?

Reid is the epitome of the worst of DC Sports Journalism. That is - all he can do is pot stir. Worse, he seems to only be able to do it with the redskins. If Asburn isn't a dumpster currently on fire Reid is at a loss as to what to discuss.

So you'd have Jones on talking about how the offensive line has improved, or how certain players are making strides, how Crowder looks to be a solid addition, etc. Reid's response owuld just be "OMG NO BUT THEY'RE BAD YOUNG BULL LISTEN TO ME"

And if all else failed he'd just fall back on bringing Griffin into the conversation.

Towards the end Jones would just call him out and talk **** about Reid, on air, to Chris Paul.

Reid is kind of like Jay Cutler. He's had multiple opportunities to prove himself to be a quality analyst. He hasn't. Because he's not.

His articles--well, I should say article, because let's be honest, he made his name writing the same one over and over--is why I never listened.

• Like 1

UnWise Mike is implying that the cancellation was carried about the team's brass and is racially motivated because Reid and Paul were the only black radio duo in the DMV.

This is preposterous, especially from a jerk who used to have his own radio bit at 106.7 the Klan. 

UnWise Mike is implying that the cancellation was carried about the team's brass and is racially motivated because Reid and Paul were the only black radio duo in the DMV.

This is preposterous, especially from a jerk who used to have his own radio bit at 106.7 the Klan. 

Because UnWise Mike really understands the plight of <insert aggrieved minority group here>

• Like 1

sapienza tweeted that it came down from station management, not snyder. 

but, hey, when youre UnWise Mike, you throw agenda fitting **** against the wall and if it doesnt stick, throw some more. 

• Like 3

Wise blocked me on twitter, but I can still see his hateful tweets from a google search. Aside from painting espn 980 as a racist station (Brian Mitchel, Clinton Portis, Doc Walker, don't count) he claims radio ratings can be manipulated if the producers don't like the show and he used his POS show in 2010 as an example. 

Umm no dip ****, you got fired from 106.7 because you were purposely tweeting false information about Ben Roethlisberger. 

Plus your show sucked

• Like 1

UnWise Mike is a complete idiot. So they didn't realize Paul and Reid were black before they hired them? It's nonsense, Sapienza proposed the show specifically because they would be the only black radio duo for sports in the morning. How do you cancel the show for the same reason you created it? UnWise Mike needs to stop pretending like he actually has sources in this town, he may actually be more hated around here than Reid. 

And how does he figure 980 is a racist station when they have 3 on-air personalities outside of Reid and Paul who are black, meanwhile 106.7 has zero. And has been at zero ever since LaVar left over a year ago. 

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 2

Besides the whole bit on the "dragon" that Reid constantly talked about, the show grew on me.

I found Chris Paul funny and I guess his sense of humor meshes with mine.

Reid without a doubt had an agenda the entire time. However it was a show focused on the local teams, and the Junkies just have ignorant opinions on every team in town so I refuse to listen to them

• Like 1

I feel bad that I used to like the Unwise one's show prior to him turning into King Butthurt.

On another note does Grant Paulsen come off as a complete ass to anyone else? The guy is a total prick to callers and loves to brag about his access and other things. Also, his voice has started to become grating to me since someone here pointed it out lol.

Edited by spjunkies

On another note does Grant Paulsen come off as a complete ass to anyone else? The guy is a total price to callers and loves to brag about his access and other things. Also, his voice has started to become grating to me since someone here pointed it out lol.

I recall liking Grant as a beat guy with intermittent spots on the radio. But his voice is the voice that black comedians use when talking "white". Since he got his own show, he comes off like he's feeling himself a bit much. He was better when he stayed in his lane as the nerdy local kid that was lucky enough to cover his favorite team.

• Like 1

This thread is so funny.  Who do you guys actually LIKE on sports talk radio in DC?

Seems like everyone thinks that:

- Chad Dukes is a giant douche

- Grant and Danny are annoying

- B-Mitch is a hater

- JReid just sucks at everything, thankfully he's gone

- Sports Junkies are obnoxious and don't really know much about anything

- UnWise Mike is a race baiting dickhead

- Czabe is a douche

- Loverro and Sheehan just nitpick all day and look for soundclips to blow out of proportion

- I LOVE COOLEY AND HIS BREAKDOWNS

I mean...why even bother listening to sports talk radio in the DMV if you feel this way?  Unless you're a masochist and love to listen to what you hate because it riles up the blood.  

• Like 2

Hmmmm that's a very good question.

I'll give it a go. In the morning I listen to Boomer & Carton in NY, they're good but I have to turn them off when NY teams are doing well because their fans are jerks, after that I turn on Grant and Danny for some local talk I like Danny, but I would love to punch Grant in his nose. Afterwards I'm off to Mike Francesa he's simply the best sports host on radio. 

I can't stand most of our local dudes so I don't listen to them :)

The station employs and features a show with Doc Walker and Brian Mitchell. Both are black.

They also used to feature Coach Thompson. Also black.

UnWise Mike is a petty little ****

• Like 1

This thread is so funny.  Who do you guys actually LIKE on sports talk radio in DC?

Seems like everyone thinks that:

- Chad Dukes is a giant douche

- Grant and Danny are annoying

- B-Mitch is a hater

- JReid just sucks at everything, thankfully he's gone

- Sports Junkies are obnoxious and don't really know much about anything

- UnWise Mike is a race baiting dickhead

- Czabe is a douche

- Loverro and Sheehan just nitpick all day and look for soundclips to blow out of proportion

- I LOVE COOLEY AND HIS BREAKDOWNS

I mean...why even bother listening to sports talk radio in the DMV if you feel this way?  Unless you're a masochist and love to listen to what you hate because it riles up the blood.  

That sounds about right. You missed Doc Walker being your stereotypical meathead dummy. 

• Like 1

Well, i like Sheehan a lot, even if he can be a homer. I think he's smart and articulate, and he's one of the very few who can pull off a talk show by himself. he gets paired with some real clowns, though. Loverro just seems to always be looking for the juicy little tidbit that he can use to insinuate a lot more than what it is into the narrative, and i think when it comes to football (which is 95% of what i listen to sports radio for), he is lacking perspective.
But as much as Loverro can get on my nerves, when it comes to baseball, he knows his stuff, and he can be very interesting and insightful not just of the modern game, but in perspective with the past.. which in baseball is still plenty relevant.. I listen to the Fix every day, even when i HATE what Loverro does.

I like Doc, and BMitch,, i dn't know that Mitchell is a hater, even though I used to really think so. I've changed my tune on him... he's just always got a chip on his shoulder, and it comes from way way back. He can't let anyone appear to get over on him..  can't laugh at himself. He has to be the alpha and has to let everyone know he's the alpha all the time. But he is knowledgeable and can make some interesting points. 

I like the Drive, obviously Cooley's breakdowns are great,, one of the best sports radio segments i've ever heard.i like when ex-players discuss football as if we're not just discovering the game. His segment is for people with more than a casual interest, and that's me. 

I like Galdi, always have. Czabin is alright, and those three work well together on the Drive. Clinton Portis on Mondays is becoming one of my favorite segments. I've always liked Portis, he has a great sense of humor, and he's very smart about football. He and Cooley have a great rapport.

reid obviously sucks for all the reasons mentioned. Chris Paul is good, but not when paired with Reid. No chemistry.. I don't think Reid knows how to have any fun with any of this.

The Junkies are annoying. the last time i gave them any time they spent 20 minutes discussing which of them had sex with their wives over the weekend.

Great if you're 15, i guess. But I'm not. Never really been a fan of their style or jokes or phraseology... but more power to them, they took a cable access hobby and turned t into a lucrative career, and that i respect.

Chad Dukes.. can't listen to him. Tried in the past,, just can't. A giant douche is exactly what he is.

Tony Kornheiser.. i get bored with his show. I like him, but i thin i like him in smaller doses. 10 hours a week of his oh, i'm an old grump" shtick wears thin.

He's a great interviewer, and some of his guests i like, like Bob Ryan, Mike Wilbon. But the guy from Bleacher Report comes on and puts me right to sleep. Drones on and on and on.. it becomes background noise before i realize what he's talking about. His sidekicks in the studio do nothing for me. 

Grant and Danny i've never given much listen. Usually at that tme of day  crank up some music to roll the last two hours of the morning into lunch.

UnWise Mike is a race baiting holier than thou listen to me and i'll tell you how to think asshole. Can't take him and that was long before any of his anti-redskins kick. Everything to him is a major cause and a reason to espouse his over-the-top liberal viewpoint, and he injects it into EVERYTHING. tiresome.

There's plenty i like, or i wouldn't listen at all. But i do.. every day. 

But it's like any sports discussion. if everything is good, there's not much to discuss. I like that, oh, you do too? Cool...   so,,  nice weather, huh?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2

I'm a fan of.

Czabe

Galdi - Especially Chin Music

Tim Murray - His Saturday show is good

Scott Jackson 

Scott Linn - He's good on Czabe;s morning show and throughout

Nick Ashooh - When he's filled in

Kevin Sheehan when Thom isn't within 100 miles of the station

Andy....ONLY when he's on with Czabe who keeps him in check

Mr. Tony with the various people he has on his show.

Cooley only during football season

Looking at the list. i like the guys who aren't sarcastic and know their numbers with sports. Do they need more diversity? Yes, they should have had a female co-host on some show forever ago. And, the only minorities shouldn't be former athletes or coaches. There are plenty of really good journalism schools folks who are White/Black/Red/Yellow/Green/Blue. Why they seemingly avoid that, I don't know.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants