Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

i don't know how i feel about this

mike&mike is not an option for me, but i cannot help but feel relieved i do not have to listen to Reed call Mike Jones young buc EVERY ****ING SENTENCE MY GOD GET A NEW SCHTICK

I never listened to the show, but it seemed like Reid and Jones butted heads quite often? Is that accurate?

It's funny--the show seemed like a disaster from the get-go--but I guarantee it will be twisted around to seem like Snyder and Allen killed it b/c they were criticized too much.

I think you could put darn near anyone on the radio to talk about the Redskins and people would listen.

I listen to the show quite a bit and cannot stand J Reid, not a big of Paul, think the skits are corny, etc.  I just listen because 106.7 for whatever reason gets a terrible signal during my commute ever since this summer.  There are no other alternatives.

• Like 1

If its losing in its timeslot. Then why not go with the parent national show where you are paying two fewer salaries?

I suppose, but it wasn't losing by much (admittedly, I don't really know how to read those ratings numbers). Also, one show is a decade-long institution so for this show to even be stealing any ratings would seem to indicate something positive. 

Edited by TD_washingtonredskins

The young bull stuff grinds my gears as well. Not to mention how every time he credits Mike with being good at anything he attributes that to his mentorship/teaching.

Yeah, Chris Paul tried to make Mike Jones and Jason Reid's heated arguments seem like part of the program, but it's obvious it's definitely not. Reid likes to push Jones' buttons, and Jones has no chill when it comes to Reid's bull****.

But I don't think that is the reason it's been canceled. Reid is the most hated man on local radio. I am surprised it was canceled so soon though, I thought it would at least last until early 2016.

Edited by Gamebreaker

Wonder what Mike and Mike's ratings were before "Man Cave" took its place on 980.

This will seemingly leave Andy Pollin with no role (Bang weeps) other than the MMQB show, unless they decide to resurrect that show he was doing on 570.

Steve Czaban's national Yahoo! show will be on 570.

Jason Reid is unlistenable. 

ESPN 980 has been suffering in the ratings for quite a while now (with the exception of a few shows).  It was a good decision to make, because, that show was quite amateurish, and nowhere near as good as The Junkies or any other show it goes up against in that timeslot.  980 might just take a loss, and keep Mike & Mike in their for the foreseeable future.  Nothing they put in the 6-10 AM slot will ever beat the Junkies.  I wonder if that might cause a domino effect when it comes to the other programming on that station.  I think the Sports Fix & The Drive will probably be safe since they get decent ratings, but what about Tony K's show or The Locker Room?  I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept 1 or 2 shows, and just make 980 more of a National lineup.

Tony K's show is an odd thing of itself.  He clearly just does it for his own pleasure at this point.  He also likes taking as much vacation as possible, being gone for months on end during the summer.  I don't know how good his ratings are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just ask him to retire, maybe convince him to leave gracefully 

Edited by samy316

I could be wrong, but I believe Tony's show is one of the higher rated ones on 980 and that's why he writes his own ticket. Plus, they have people from all over listening online because he has a national ESPN TV show.

I'd like to see the ratings per show though. All that I can find online is by station, not station by time or show. I've got to imagine the Locker Room isn't highly listened to because of a timeslot after lunch but before evening drive.

The Sports Fix....meh. I would assume Loverro is safe. But is he that different from Reid? Just a higher pitched voice who hides his jerkiness with sarcasm and passive aggressive comments.

I've got to be honest, I would prefer that they air National programming on that station anyways.  Maybe keep the Sports Fix & The Drive, but I would much prefer to listen to the LeBatard Show/Rusillo & Kannell than anything else on 980.  I could care less about Bomani Jones show, so they can keep The Drive if they see fit.  Maybe they can concede local programming to 106.7 (since it kills 980 in the ratings & demographics anyways), and just air whatever comes on ESPN Radio.

Edited by samy316

This in't the first feud recorded between Mike Jones and Jason Reid. 

TK witnessed an altercation in Arizona last year in which Mike Jones made a bee line for Tony Wylie about the team's inactives. Jason Reid grabbed Jones by the arm and forcefully pulled him back. Then Reid proceeded to run at Wylie. 

Reid is a snake, I'm glad that bama is gone. 

• Like 1

I've got to be honest, I would prefer that they air National programming on that station anyways.  Maybe keep the Sports Fix & The Drive, but I would much prefer to listen to the LeBatard Show/Rusillo & Kannell than anything else on 980.  I could care less about Bomani Jones show, so they can keep The Drive if they see fit.  Maybe they can concede local programming to 106.7 (since it kills 980 in the ratings & demographics anyways), and just air whatever comes on ESPN Radio.

I looked at the ratings

JFK isn't killing 980. They are one spot higher. http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb015Considering they are a much stronger FM signal. That's nothing to brag about. 2.5 and 2.3. 

WTOP triples either of them. 

Guy posted in the Stadium that there was a prettty hellacious argument between Mike Jones and Mad Uncle Phil. Apparently Reid was going in on McCloughan, and Jones was having none of it.

Guess things got heated afterwards

It wasn't that bad. I heard that while conversation and didnt think anything of it. Not like they were raising their voices at each other or anything. Jones seemed a little annoyed, but he seemed like that from the jump this morning, like he called in already cranky.

Normally, that kind of stuff is considered good radio, gets buzz, gets people interested.

Edited by justice98

Tony's show is great but its not a pure sports talk show. In fact there are many days where they talk about sports like...maybe 25% of the time at most. Football Mondays are probably the only exception. But its a funny show and easily the best on 980.

I like Sports Fix a lot. Sheehan is as solid as they come and Loverro has actually grown on me. They actually talk about other stuff besides the Skins. I think today they spent their first 30-45 minutes on the World Series and the Wizards season opener.

Locker Room sucks outside of football. Doc and BMitch just don't know enough about other sports. I mean listening to BMitch talk Hockey is just painful. I love him but that's really more of a football only show.

• Like 1

Normally, that kind of stuff is considered good radio, gets buzz, gets people interested.

I'm with you there. If the actual topic and conversation is boring, a good fight between the hosts will keep people listening.

And that show could have used it.