Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

• 2 weeks later...

So caps fans do their typical 'you talk about the terrible redskins instead of us' bit (they aren't wrong, they just direct their frustration at the wrong people)

So leonsis writes a blog post on the topic.

Czabe then writes his own post on his blog explaining how sports radio works, why the capitals don't get coverage, etc.

So... leonsis goes to 980 management and threatened to pull advertising to get after Czabe...

What a chicken **** move. Very Snyderesque. Leonsis is such a little ****.

Edited by tshile

So caps fans do their typical 'you talk about the terrible redskins instead of us' bit (they aren't wrong, they just direct their frustration at the wrong people)

Czabe then writes his own post on his blog explaining how sports radio works, why the capitals don't get coverage, etc.

So... leonsis goes to 980 management and threatened to pull advertising to get after Czabe...

Link?

Nevermind, on the podcast.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

Anyone listen to the radio call Saturday night?

I finally got to watch a game at home, on time (instead of off dvr), so I pull the center channel speakers and then sync it with the radio. I get all the crowd noise from the game, no TV announcers, and the radio crew. It's great.

Anyways, at one point Larry Michael said something that was obviously wrong and Cooley corrected him. Larry responded, raising his voice, with "OK WE GET IT" and on to the call. When it happened my wife and I looked at each other and we didn't even need to say anything. It was so petulant and just POS-like.

He's such a little piece of garbage. I've had a few encounters with Larry Michael and every single time I walk away thinking - That right there is a nasty, nasty man.

I'll be happy when he's finally out of the picture. Between being a jerk and his homerism which is shockingly worse (and dumber) than Theisman's, I just cannot stand him.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

I'll be happy when he's finally out of the picture. Between being a jerk and his homerism which is shockingly worse (and dumber) than Theisman's, I just cannot stand him.

His play by play skills are dreadfully weak at best.

He's a company man, so that counts for something in that organization (for the time being) as I doubt Bruce gets involved in that.

But we can do far, far better.  We deserve far better, as well.

• Like 1

Anybody got a link to today's edition of Cooley and Czabe?

if you have an iphone or android you can get it on demand on their espn 980 app. it's actually pretty good for that if you care about any of their shows. only bad thing is they only go back like 2 days.

you can also get it off their website in the audio vault.

• Like 2

The problem with sports talk and the media is that everything is a talking point. Opinions are ramped up and intentionally manufactured for maximum rustle and attention. The whole industry has become a bunch of attention seeking individuals desperate to get their voices heard for ratings.

It is basically who can scream the loudest and get the most publicity. Maybe it just me but people like bomani Jones and the rest of the media don't have to do this. They don't have to get attention but they're starved because there is a direct correlation between attention seeking and ratings. People eat this stuff up. You're all giving the guy attention. If you don't acknowledge his existence he'll go away just like Feinstein and other troll jobs.

Michael is okay. I had no choice but to listen to him as I was riding up 95. He's mediocre. But I like Cooley. Cooley after the redskins knee down was like I literally have no clue what he's doing that's stupid. He was flipping out and ****.

I have been over this before and the junkies openly admitted that DC doesn't talk hockey on the radio because, as kornheiser says, the ratings drop down terribly. This is absolutely nonsense. ****.

It's sad that there's only one talk show dedicated to hockey in DC. It's pathetic. It'd sad that anything other than the redskins gets a ****ing blip on the radar.

We should talk about all our DC teams yet the redskins monopolize the conversation. Everyone else is barely talked about. It's an insult and it's not the way I'd ****ing run a business but this is they idiotic way sports talk is and why it's so ****ing bad. All they want to do is talk football. That's ****ing it

• Like 1

What's nonsense about it?

The correlation between hockey talk and decreased ratings is unproven. Until you can directly prove that hockey is the reason these networks are losing ratings then it'd a ridiculous accusation to make.

You have to understand the DC media disrespect hockey and don't acknowledge it and so many people think it's only a Canadian sport. Do most Americans know about the world Juniors in Finland right now? No. All they care about is football and basketball and what opponent steph curry blew out for the Warriors 50th win in a row. Hockey is criminally underrated and it should make you sick.

The correlation between hockey talk and decreased ratings is unproven. Until you can directly prove that hockey is the reason these networks are losing ratings then it'd a ridiculous accusation to make.

You have to understand the DC media disrespect hockey and don't acknowledge it and so many people think it's only a Canadian sport. Do most Americans know about the world Juniors in Finland right now? No. All they care about is football and basketball and what opponent steph curry blew out for the Warriors 50th win in a row. Hockey is criminally underrated and it should make you sick.

Do you have any evidence to support your position? Because the radio stations are driven almost exclusively by their ratings. So if they can point to a drop every time they talk about the Caps, then it's because they have evidence.

Do you have any evidence to support your position? Because the radio stations are driven almost exclusively by their ratings. So if they can point to a drop every time they talk about the Caps, then it's because they have evidence.

Let's assume this assertion is true then. Why don't people want to hear about hockey!

This is why I'm so mad. Because the typical American sports fan cares about football and basketball. They love hearing about steph curry and they think freedom of movement aka defensive rule changes are good for the game. They love hearing about golden state win 1000 games on a row and dominate everyone. Baseball is also discussed. But hockey?

Hockey is violent like football. Americans love violence. So why isn't there that love? It's a lot more physical than basketball or baseball that's for sure.

On what grounds do you claim it is unproven?

Why is everyone that works in the industry that says this wrong, but you're right?

You sound like a typical bitter capitals fan that your team sits firmly in last place topic wise early in the season.

It looks like the capitals highest TV rating was 1.78 in the 10/11 season. You want to compare that to redskins preseason ratings?

Last fall, towards the end of hockey and nba season, the wizards ratings were rising while the capitals ratings were falling:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/04/21/wizards-local-tv-ratings-rise-while-caps-local-tv-ratings-fall/

So how do you back up your arguemnt?

Let's assume this assertion is true then. Why don't people want to hear about hockey!

This is why I'm so mad. Because the typical American sports fan cares about football and basketball. They love hearing about steph curry and they think freedom of movement aka defensive rule changes are good for the game. They love hearing about golden state win 1000 games on a row and dominate everyone. Baseball is also discussed. But hockey?

Hockey is violent like football. Americans love violence. So why isn't there that love? It's a lot more physical than basketball or baseball that's for sure.

Because people don't like hockey like they like football. Just like they don't like baseball like they like football. Just like they don't like basketball like they like football.

Football is king. Redskins are king in this town. ESPECIALLY since the Skins are going to the playoffs.

Radio is simply a slave to their ratings. If Howard Stern had pulled a 2 share instead of the 10+ share he pulled, we wouldn't know who he is.

This is why I'm so mad. Because the typical American sports fan cares about football and basketball.

Right. So you've completely contradicted your argument within 10 minutes of making it.

You don't have to like it, but let's stop pretending that the issue is made up and unproven.

Or that it's because the DC sports market has something against the capitals.

It's not a popular sport compared to the others. There's a variety of reasons for it.

You want more coverage? You need more people that want to listen to the coverage.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/theres-a-big-five-in-north-american-pro-sports/

and

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-distribution-of-fandom-in-pro-leagues/

The capitals are down there around:

LA Galaxy, Magic, Trail Blazers, and SEnators. An MLS team, 2 NBA teams, and another NHL team.

They're around the half way point for their own league.

The Redskins, meanwhile, are #19. I don't care to count what the capitals are, they are far down the list.

Every way of measuring this points to the capitals just not being that popular in terms of ratings.

That doesn't mean it should be that way. I'd prefer they talk about the capitals games over some tweet Griffin made.

But unfortunately the DC sports market has shown that it is much more interested in what Griffin tweets, than how the Capitals played the nigh before.

• Like 2

Because people don't like hockey like they like football. Just like they don't like baseball like they like football. Just like they don't like basketball like they like football.

Football is king. Redskins are king in this town. ESPECIALLY since the Skins are going to the playoffs.

Radio is simply a slave to their ratings. If Howard Stern had pulled a 2 share instead of the 10+ share he pulled, we wouldn't know who he is.

so basically they don't talk anything else on radio. Everyone knows this. I've said time and time again that this is an industry that panders to ratings. People love football so people will listen to guys like grant and Danny and all grant and Danny will do is talk football for five hours

Really stimulating radio!

The whole model is broke because it's dependent on ratings. That's why you shouldn't listen to sports talk. Because they did research. They know what draws people in and talk about it.

People with freed minds who aren't slaves to what some pd wants them to listen to listen to podcasts. You can listen to a wide variety of content there.

Now about bomani Jones. Bomani Jones is basically trolling the skins and cousins and bringing up the race card. Bomani Jones is an example of what is wrong with sports talk radio. This is a business of ratings. How do you get ratings? By talking out your ****ing ass and making outlandish and egregious shtick which people will talk about on message boards. this is the inherent issue with sports talk and it's why I quit listening to that bull****

Right. So you've completely contradicted your argument within 10 minutes of making it.

You don't have to like it, but let's stop pretending that the issue is made up and unproven.

Or that it's because the DC sports market has something against the capitals.

It's not a popular sport compared to the others. There's a variety of reasons for it.

You want more coverage? You need more people that want to listen to the coverage.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/theres-a-big-five-in-north-american-pro-sports/

and

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-distribution-of-fandom-in-pro-leagues/

The capitals are down there around:

LA Galaxy, Magic, Trail Blazers, and SEnators. An MLS team, 2 NBA teams, and another NHL team.

They're around the half way point for their own league.

The Redskins, meanwhile, are #19. I don't care to count what the capitals are, they are far down the list.

Every way of measuring this points to the capitals just not being that popular in terms of ratings.

That doesn't mean it should be that way. I'd prefer they talk about the capitals games over some tweet Griffin made.

But unfortunately the DC sports market has shown that it is much more interested in what Griffin tweets, than how the Capitals played the nigh before.

What are you talking about my biggest issue is why hockey is not talked about when it's just as violent as football

I want to bring up something from the stadium. I am sick and tired of this media agenda against the redskins largely focused on their name. I am sick and tired of the lack of respect for this franchise which has had a long and beautiful history. I am sick of idiots locally and nationally trashing this team as hot garbage. I am sick of agenda driven idiots who have nothing better to do than to take pot shots at this organization ie bomani Jones ie Stephen a Smith

Edited by ixcuincle

What are you talking about my biggest issue is why hockey is not talked about when it's just as violent as football

*puts on my Larry hat*

I have been over this before and the junkies openly admitted that DC doesn't talk hockey on the radio because, as kornheiser says, the ratings drop down terribly. This is absolutely nonsense. ****.

No, your biggest issue is that your favorite hockey team isn't talked about.

Your next biggest issue is that you hate DC sports radio, as you've told us countless times in the thread about DC sports radio.

This has led you to accuse the media market of having something against the capitals, while declaring the truth of the situation to be "nonsense", unproven, and a "ridiculous accusation"

You need to come to grips with the fact that the sport and the team, in the grand scale of ratings in the media, is just not that popular. It isn't.

Like I said... if Griffin tweeted something today they'd spend 100x more time talking about that than they would the fact that the caps are on an 8 game winning streak. I agree that sucks. I'd prefer the negative media vultures circling around Redskins park go find something else to do too. I really would.

But people care more about a misstep by Griffin than they do about the Capitals. It is what it is.

The problem isn't with the media. It's with the people consuming the media. If people cared more (in terms of paying attention to the media) about the Capitals than a player that won't be here in 2 months that hasn't dressed for a game since 2014, then things wouldn't be the way they are.

edit: in terms of your violence argument - i agree, hockey is violent. but people obviously care less about that than you think.

i think soccer is the ultimate measurement of endurance and athletic ability. but it's far down the list too, right there with hockey. there are a lot of things that factor into why the NFL is where it is.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

*puts on my Larry hat*

No, your biggest issue is that your favorite hockey team isn't talked about.

Your next biggest issue is that you hate DC sports radio, as you've told us countless times in the thread about DC sports radio.

This has led you to accuse the media market of having something against the capitals, while declaring the truth of the situation to be "nonsense", unproven, and a "ridiculous accusation"

You need to come to grips with the fact that the sport and the team, in the grand scale of ratings in the media, is just not that popular. It isn't.

Like I said... if Griffin tweeted something today they'd spend 100x more time talking about that than they would the fact that the caps are on an 8 game winning streak. I agree that sucks. I'd prefer the negative media vultures circling around Redskins park go find something else to do too. I really would.

But people care more about a misstep by Griffin than they do about the Capitals. It is what it is.

The problem isn't with the media. It's with the people consuming the media. If people cared more (in terms of paying attention to the media) about the Capitals than a player that won't be here in 2 months that hasn't dressed for a game since 2014, then things wouldn't be the way they are.

Why not?

It's not just hockey. I've come to terms with this industry which is why I listen to podcasts now which have no agenda and aren't dependent on ratings.

My bigger concern is the national bias against the redskins based on their name. I used to think only DC sports radio hosts would troll or bore people for ratings but apparently the National media isn't immune to this low brow tactic either. Remember cowherd?

You mention soccer which will literally never be discussed on American sports talk. I mean Stephen a Smith or czabe isn't going to go off on Chelsea poor form and mourinho getting the sack. So you got podcasts for that.

You are just repeating what I've said that I'm done with local sports talk because of the monopoly. There's no point listening if they won't talk soccer or college football in depth.

it doesn't really sound like you've come to terms.

you keep reaching back for some conspiracy. sometimes the simple answer is the right one: they're chasing ratings.

our "news" media has fallen into the exact same trap. anyone genuinely interested in objective political discussion has to hunt for places to find it, because it doesn't exist in main stream news (TV, news paper [LOL], or radio)

i blame disney because **** that company. they ruined ESPN.