Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

What's the story with this?

Flukes is a sensitive little **** who is threatened by anyone and everyone. Personal example, I had an internship set up long ago there. Before the switch to sports. Used to talk to AIM with several folks at the station,including Flukes. Shortly before I was to start, I'm shooting the **** with him and tell him I disagreed with him about something related to the Wizards. Nothing serious. Normal sports argument. Next thing I know the station stops taking and returning my calls. Finally get word from Drab that I hurt Flukes feelings and they were pulling my internship offer. True story.

Anyone and everyone who has had any type of dealings with the dude have the same stories. Dude has a major complex. (Don Geronimo despises him.)

Unfortunately him and station program director CK have some weird relationship--think rim jobs and BJ's--so he has a ton of pull at the station (they gave a chump who got a boob job a sports show. THAT kind of pull).

So Kevin and Rock put together a good show. Think Big O and Flukes if Big O and Flukes knew **** about sports. They start to build a following. What happens? They're relegated to weekends and other **** slots and completely buried. It only made sense if...Flukes feels threatened. Yup. Rock eventually confirmed it was Flukes' doing. On here and elsewhere.

There were specific details and specific stories but it's been a few years and my memory went up in smoke a long time ago. You get the gist though.

• Like 1

I've pretty much given up on sports talk radio in this area. Bunch of whiny, soap boxy ****es that act like neurotic housewives.

Used to really like some of them too, like Sheehan. But he and the Nasally One's obsession with NSA Codebreaking every RGIII tweet/soundbyte (among other things) was pretty much the nail in the coffin. Can't do the Locker Room because im tired of Doc and B Mitch narrowing every issue down to heart and toughness.

I liked the Drive for a bit, but that waned as well. Can never go back to 106.7 and listen to Rouhier nerd rage, Paulson let out his suppressed fat man anger, Russels echo chamber, or Dukes and all his issues.

I have no respect for any of those dudes as radio guys. Some as people.

Modern day sports radio is nothing but a gimmicky, corporate, commercialized, brain cell destroying, steaming **** pile.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3

Like I said, I got Sirius in the car now, I haven't turned on a local station in months. In hindsight, the ignorance was painful. Five years of local sports talk :puke:

I'm with you there.  I haven't listened to local sports radio much in the past year.  Only when the Redskins are playing is when I will opt to listen to 980 or 106.7 on occasion.  When its the offseason, I can't stand local radio.  I don't want to hear anything about the Skins unless its urgent, and it gets worse after the draft.  That period from May-early August is the worst time of the year for local sports radio.  I like the Nats a lot, but I still don't want to listen to local radio, because I know they'll only spend like 15-20 Min tops talking about the Nats, then go back to whatever lame issue that's plaguing the Skins ATM.  I listen to ESPN Radio mostly during the offseason, because at least when they talk football, its more interesting since its the entire league, and I'll get more in depth coverage of the NBA playoffs on national sports talk than I would here locally.  I find the national sports hosts on ESPN Radio infinitely more interesting than the local dredge that we have to suffer with   (with the exception of Tony K. & Sheehan).

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

Grant and Danny is the best show in town. Dukes has gotten better. The Sports Fix has gotten worse. Don't care too much for The Locker Room and Czabe and Cooley are good only during football season. Junkies are not Sportstalk imo.

But for my money, Grant and Danny is miles ahead everybody else. 

• Like 1

I think that Skins fans aren't interested in the opinions of Shanny anymore. We know Sheehan loves the guy. But 30 min of a taped phone interview?

He's did a 30 minute phone interview with shanny?

Good lord, that man's obsessed.

Grant and Danny is the best show in town. Dukes has gotten better. The Sports Fix has gotten worse. Don't care too much for The Locker Room and Czabe and Cooley are good only during football season. Junkies are not Sportstalk imo.

But for my money, Grant and Danny is miles ahead everybody else. 

I enjoy Grant and Danny--I don't get the hate some have for them. Even moreso during baseball season--they cover the Nats far more than anyone else in the area.

• Like 2

That period from May-early August is the worst time of the year for local sports radio.  I like the Nats a lot, but I still don't want to listen to local radio, because I know they'll only spend like 15-20 Min tops talking about the Nats, then go back to whatever lame issue that's plaguing the Skins ATM.  

What else can you talk about though? Baseball is tough to cover for hours per day because they play so often. Unless it's a playoff game or something huge, it really isn't usually all that important how a team won or lost the night before by the time an afternoon sports show is on. The team's next game is more relevant than their previous one by that point, and that's just as boring to talk about for more than a few minutes. 

Sure, you can spend some time on how a team is looking, where they might go that year, etc. but football is far more interesting to cover on a macro level. I'm not saying these things to convince anyone to listen (I tune out around January too), but it's more to defend the programming. I really can't think of anything else a local sports show can cover when they need 2+ hours of content each and every day of the year. 

What else can you talk about though? Baseball is tough to cover for hours per day because they play so often. Unless it's a playoff game or something huge, it really isn't usually all that important how a team won or lost the night before by the time an afternoon sports show is on. The team's next game is more relevant than their previous one by that point, and that's just as boring to talk about for more than a few minutes. 

Sure, you can spend some time on how a team is looking, where they might go that year, etc. but football is far more interesting to cover on a macro level. I'm not saying these things to convince anyone to listen (I tune out around January too), but it's more to defend the programming. I really can't think of anything else a local sports show can cover when they need 2+ hours of content each and every day of the year. 

You can talk a lot about Baseball: stretches, matchups, upcoming schedule. You can talk about who is killing it in the minors. What improvements need to be made. How are Dusty and other coaches doing. Problem is, most of the hosts don't want to make the effort. They give it lip service, but do nothing else.

It was either when RGIII was benched back in August last year, or Cousins was named the starter, I don't remember which, the Junkies opened the phone lines and no one called in. Literally. No one. I was shocked. Lurch got on an begged people to call in. Finally the typical dipwads called in with the same pointless RGIII got screwed, or everyone hates him, drivel. You never hear the other teams in this area get that kind of leeway. Give the Caps and Nats (lesser extent the Wizards, mostly because I despise the NBA) some due--get some people who know something about baseball on shows. Do so promotion. It's not hard. Problem is, most of the hosts in the area don't care--Cooley and Czabe, for example, are Jon Snow when it comes to baseball!

Begging for call-ins. That's sad. I always think when you open phone lines every day. That's the sign of a weak program. At least on Czabe's morning show. It's a routine. "I'm so done with" or "this might be a dumb question" or "Superfriends". It's funny.

Plus the whole email/text window thing. Then you can pick the better stuff to mention on the air.

As far as WJFK goes. They will be sold by CBS at some point. If it is Hubbard. I'm guessing the current line-up is changed at least somewhat. They have a formula they use for sportstalk across the US.

As far as WJFK goes. They will be sold by CBS at some point. If it is Hubbard. I'm guessing the current line-up is changed at least somewhat. They have a formula they use for sportstalk across the US.

Does that mean that NY-worshipping ****tard John Feinstein will be caned off too?!

• Like 2

You can talk a lot about Baseball: stretches, matchups, upcoming schedule. You can talk about who is killing it in the minors. What improvements need to be made. How are Dusty and other coaches doing. Problem is, most of the hosts don't want to make the effort. They give it lip service, but do nothing else.

You could talk about all those things, but not each and every day for several hours. For example, you talk about an upcoming 10-day road trip on Monday and that's off the table for the next two weeks. Also, how much time can you really spend talking about a sport that is played daily? You could maybe talk pitching matchups for an upcoming series for half a segment (unless of course a stud is throwing against you that series maybe). 

I just don't think baseball lends itself to hours of sport talk radio content. I know that I'd tune out almost instantly. 

Also, how much time can you really spend talking about a sport that is played daily?

Probably the same way you talk about a game that's played once a week. In fact, I would say there's more to talk about. Many other cities seem to do it.

That's the other problem I have with Sports Talk Radio, letting people call in to express their views.  I'm not trying to denigrate anyone who disagrees with me, but I seriously think the majority of people who call into Sports Radio shows are literally dumb, or have no clue. I seriously cringe whenever hosts take calls from either 980 or 106.7.  I think the callers into 106.7 are more dumb than the 980 callers, but its not much of a stretch.  That's why I prefer National Sports Radio (ESPN or CBS), because they NEVER take calls, and instead bring in journalists or other media to fill up the time.  I'd rather hear from them, then some stupid caller bringing up some kind of nonsensical conspiracy.

Again, not to slam anyone, but it seems like the majority of callers who call in to express their views about the Redskins are either delusional, or are lacking basic functioning skills.  I either laugh or shake my head whenever they decide to open the lines to callers regarding Redskins topics.  Nats fans & Caps fans seem to be much more normal and delusional, however.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2