Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I can stand Danny, but Grant is truly on my last nerve. He has a complex about everything, if an athlete disrespects the media there is an issue, if a caller doesn't hear his name called when he's put on the air he flies into rage mode or if a dudes name is said wrong he gets pissy. I swear if Danny wasn't there no chance I'd stick with that program.

A couple of days ago, grant was trying to get on the author of the bleacher report article that ranked Kirk 28th best qb in the league last year.

Any word on if that's happening? Or did I miss it?

Someone should do a welcome check to make sure the guy is alright and Grant didn't off him.

This guy Chris Russell always goes on about how much dirt he has on the Redskins, but never says anything. Come on dude stop bluffing and spit it out if you got something.

What's funny is--in this day and age--we probably already know most of it. A lot of people like Russell, and older journalists like Feinstein, still think the masses are ignorant and will buy anything they say. Fans today are more and better informed than ever before.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I just hear that Ron Jaworski is going to be on The Drive?

How's that going to go over since Cooley said Jaws can "s my d" a few months ago, and talked about what a crappy analyst he is- this, after Jaws made a joke about the Giants be so desperate at TE, they were giving Cooley a tryout.

Did I just hear that Ron Jaworski is going to be on The Drive?

How's that going to go over since Cooley said Jaws can "s my d" a few months ago, and talked about what a crappy analyst he is- this, after Jaws made a joke about the Giants be so desperate at TE, they were giving Cooley a tryout.

EDIT for not looking at the post date.

He was.  It was ok.  Jaws might/might not have known about the comments Cooley made.  He's kindof a self promoter.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1

Even if so, I see it as kind of an eye for an eye situation honestly. One knocked the other, the other fired back.

Chances are, they know each other. One thing folks tend to forget in regards to these personalities is that in a lot of cases, the folks you hear on the air that seem like the best of friends probably aren't and the ones that seem like worst enemies can be best friends. All part of the schtick.

Kinda stuff has always fascinated me honestly. I always wonder what radio pairings and groups actually can't stand each other in person and vice versa. It's my understanding that The Junkies all get along, they just don't hang out the way they used to due to having families and stuff. I've also heard Grant and Danny are actually friends outside of the show. Don't know if y'all remember the old Kevin and Rock show that used to be on post Skins games and on weekends and fill ins. But I heard that even though they seem like best pals from way back on the show, they don't really talk outside of it.

I miss Kevin and Rock.

Shame Chad Flukes is such a little **** he needed to torpedo them. And yes, that's a confirmed fact.

Anyway, the car I've been driving for the last few months has Sirius. I didn't realize the pain I was in from having my options being local sports talk annnnnnd local sports talk for the last five years. I don't care if my next car is a '92 Corolla. If it has speakers it will have Sirius. I just can't go back now. Now hopefully the nightmares end soon.

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

on Czabe's national show, Andy is filling in for Scott/Murray being on vacation. It's so weird how Andy without Czabe has become so grumpy and sarcastic. But with Czabe, he lightens up. Like a college reunion or something. Good stuff.

980 needs to blow it up and IMO, go with this.

10-12 - Mr. Tony

12-2 - Galdi/Cooley

2-4 - Sheehan/Mitchell/Jackson

4-7 - Sports Reporters Reborn

Loverro and Walker retired.

That's if they don't bring in somebody new to host a show. Just cutting some fat and cleaning it up. They have 3 former Redskins hosting shows. Nobody who is a former MLB/NBA/NHLer player or coach? Seems dumb.

Anyway...hearing rumors with CBS selling their stations and that Hubbard who does Sportstalk around the country in other cities, could be looking to grab 106.7 and going heavy in a rebuild there.

on Czabe's national show, Andy is filling in for Scott/Murray being on vacation. It's so weird how Andy without Czabe has become so grumpy and sarcastic. But with Czabe, he lightens up. Like a college reunion or something. Good stuff.

980 needs to blow it up and IMO, go with this.

10-12 - Mr. Tony

12-2 - Galdi/Cooley

2-4 - Sheehan/Mitchell/Jackson

4-7 - Sports Reporters Reborn

Loverro and Walker retired.

That's if they don't bring in somebody new to host a show. Just cutting some fat and cleaning it up. They have 3 former Redskins hosting shows. Nobody who is a former MLB/NBA/NHLer player or coach? Seems dumb.

They don't need Sheehan and Jackson on the same show. Jackson's pleasant enough, but he doesn't really bring much to the table.

What local former NHL/MLB/NBA guy is out there that should have their own show and a connection to the local audience? I think the pickings are slim.

But we can just eliminate NHL of the top, nobody wants to hear so canadian or euro hockey guy talking anything other than hockey. And people don't wanna hear that much hockey talk anyway.

Says who? There's definitely a market for that here.

Says the public by the ratings.  There's a reason there's not much hockey talk on local sports radio.  980 or 105.7 aren't not spending a lot of time on hockey out of defiance.  There's a market for everything, there's just not a big enough market to trump the Redskins, Wizards/Terps/Hoyas, or the Nationals.  The Caps are the best team in the sport, they're still an afterthought when anything else is going on. 

• Like 1

You're right for the most part, the ratings aren't as high when some of the current shows go into discussions about the caps.

But those ratings are also coming from the responses by folks to hearing current personalities talk about it. Which definitely plays a part.  Most of the personalities during prime hours on The Fan and 980 really aren't that knowledgeable about hockey. I know that I myself really don't care to hear The Junkies try to stumble through a hockey discussion, the same way I don't care to hear Chad Dukes stumble through a DC United discussion.

I know that won't change, since you have to go by time slots and use your popular personalities. I understand how/why it is the way it is. But I would definitely be curious to see the ratings of a hockey hour with a known hockey personality during one of the drive time slots.

Edited by jpage520

A few things. Andy is filling in for Sheehan with Loverro today.....and it's not very good. So, the co-host makes all the difference I guess.

I'm not suggesting you have an all Hockey or Basketball show. I'm saying that from noon to 7pm they basically repeat the same thing on 3 different shows in a row. If Sheehan is that great with college hoops. Then he doesn't need to talk Redskins for 3/4 of his show. You have a show with two former Skins followed by a show with another former Skin. 

Al Koken used to be able to talk strong Football and Hoops even though Hockey was his real strength on the old JT show. Where are guys like? Walker and Mitchell will try to talk NBA but it's not good. 

• Like 1

I remember when Al Koken and Doc had the show that BMitch amd Doc have now and Koken was the designated hockey talk guy. I dont know what people think of Al, but he called games and knew what he was talking about, at least.

But I hear what you're saying, I wouldn't want to hear anybody that's on the air now talk hockey. I don't wanna hear most of 'em on anything not Redskins related. lol

• Like 1

I remember when Al Koken and Doc had the show that BMitch amd Doc have now and Koken was the designated hockey talk guy. I dont know what people think of Al, but he called games and knew what he was talking about, at least.

But I hear what you're saying, I wouldn't want to hear anybody that's on the air now talk hockey. I don't wanna hear most of 'em on anything not Redskins related. lol

I'm not focusing on hockey. I just mentioned that they don't have any pro-athletes or coaches as daily hosts from other teams than the Redskins. That's it. I'm not saying you have to have an ex-Nat or Cap or even a Hockey guy per se. Just that they need more variety in their hosts in their backgrounds and their specialties. 

Agreed. I was the one who mentioned a hockey centric show/segment.

Yeah, I've brought that up in this specific thread before. Boggles my mind the way some folks get so hung up on wanting to hear talk about a specific sport that they would rather hear some host that has little to no knowledge about it struggle through an awkward conversation, than look for a podcast or lobby for a real personality with more insight on the game. I've heard that a few times on The Fan in particular. Not just hockey either. You'll get some guy calling the Junkies and try and strike up a segment on NASCAR, or I remember specifically some guy calling Chad Dukes about Navy football. Like, what's the point there? You could pretty much get the same kind of insight just going up to some random person at a sports bar and asking them about it.