Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I don't like that Galdi (who is my favorite host) will now be off the air before a lot of people are awake. I will be curious to see how Kevin and Cooley do for 4 hours and like that 980 will again have a local morning commute show. I also don't hate the idea of Andy and Czaben on the PM drive. Even though Andy is a little boring, he knows his ****. 

• Like 2

I always enjoyed The Sports Reporters when it was Andy and Czabe. Honestly Mike and Mike has grown on me lately, so I'll actually be a little disappointed to lose them in the morning now. Especially since I'm not big on Sheehan.

I always enjoyed The Sports Reporters when it was Andy and Czabe. Honestly Mike and Mike has grown on me lately, so I'll actually be a little disappointed to lose them in the morning now. Especially since I'm not big on Sheehan.

They might get bumped to 570. I seem to remember that being the set up prior to us losing a local morning show. 

• Like 1

Cooley pushing his weight around. Looks Thom Loverro is the odd man out.

Don't know how I feel about Cooley using his influence with the owner to undermine the program director.

I think its time for Cooley to find work nationally. Not a good last two years for him.

Bang must be totally bummed that "Squeaky" Loverro is out!

I like the idea of Sheehan getting a shot at morning drive.

Poor squeaky!

Who will overblow tweets and dig for the hidden meanings behind the quotes now?

~Bang

• Like 4

Is this the best possible line-up? No. But they do have a new program director there. Obviously their #s suggest something needed to happen.

It's a start. 3 hours of that lockerroom show is a mistake. But it's 1-4. That's a low listening time. After lunch, before drive home.

Galdi seems to have gotten a short end here.. I really like him, as it seems a lot of others do. Not many people can carry a show by themselves, and he can. He can keep conversation moving, keep topics clear and fresh and not fall back on repeating himself over and over (and slightly changing the words so it sounds like more thoughts. Also known as the "Cowherd Shuffle".)

Good news for me is i am in the car before 7 so i can catch the end of his show.

I'd rather Galdi be on the afternoon drive, and put Captain Putz and his sidekick Dandy Andy on in the early hours. But that would mean Czabe may have to miss some sleep and know even less about what happened the night before.

Cooley and Sheehan..  interesting,, I think the film breakdowns could be pretty good with Sheehan along.

I like Kevin Sheehan. he's unabashedly homer in some areas, but he's smart, knows his sports, and is articulate. He is also one who can carry a couple hours alone if he has to.

~Bang

• Like 2

Cooley and Sheehan were together for Sports Fix during the holidays last year and it was decent.

Galdi did get kind of jobbed there I think.

Honestly, 5-7 is not needed. Go with just the national ESPN stuff. If anything. Give Galdi an hour on his own in the early afternoon to just catch people up with stats and facts, then have him join Czabe/Andy.

• Like 1

I like Kevin Sheehan. he's unabashedly homer in some areas, but he's smart, knows his sports, and is articulate. He is also one who can carry a couple hours alone if he has to.

~Bang

My primary beef with Sheehan is pretty much all Terps related. Once that dude starts about them, he just can't stop. And since I hate the Terps it's not a good match for me lol. So it's all personal. I understand why folks like him and objectively, I don't hate him.

I'm honestly surprised Cooley isn't headed to The Fan. He seemed to really have a decent report with most of the personalities on the station before he got scooped up by 980.

My primary beef with Sheehan is pretty much all Terps related. Once that dude starts about them, he just can't stop. And since I hate the Terps it's not a good match for me lol. So it's all personal. I understand why folks like him and objectively, I don't hate him.

I'm honestly surprised Cooley isn't headed to The Fan. He seemed to really have a decent report with most of the personalities on the station before he got scooped up by 980.

That's because Snyder owns the company that owns 980. Cooley is on the gameday broadcasts for the Skins. Going to WJFK would cut him out of all that. Plus, WJFK's days are numbered. CBS is selling them. Whoever buys them is likely to do something different. New line-up. Maybe not sports. It's a strong signal. 

I don't like that Galdi (who is my favorite host) will now be off the air before a lot of people are awake.

Even though Andy is a little boring, he knows his ****. 

1. I think he's still got his "Chin Music" show and I'm assuming he's going to still do 'Skins post game.  I like Galdi.  But honestly, without Czabe AND Cooley, he's a bit dry.  The last few weeks, when one of the two of them was out, the show lacked something.  

2. Andy Polin "knows his ****" because he says wrong things authoritatively all the time.  He is wrong as much, if not more, than most.  But he says it with such authority that you wouldn't dare question his boring-ness.  

Cooley pushing his weight around. Looks Thom Loverro is the odd man out.

Don't know how I feel about Cooley using his influence with the owner to undermine the program director.

I used to like Thom and Kevin, but it's run it's course.  And Thom is just anti-everything, conspiracy theory, blah-blah-blah.  It's fine a little bit.  But he's become grating.  

Andy Pollin is like a ****roach that won't go away.  He's like listening to a 70 year old woman do sports.  Let's do birthdays and lists of crap that happened in the 1970's nobody cares about.

I can't understand what in God's name people see in him.  He's just old and boring.  And his schtick is that he just takes the opposite side of every caller, even it if contradicts his stance from the previous caller.  I guess he's a lifer, and has been a good soldier, but ee-gads, they couldn't do better than to bring back those two?  I'm sure it's going to be a nostalgia tour for a while.  I know they've been doing a podcast together, maybe it's getting good reviews?

Honestly Mike and Mike has grown on me lately, so I'll actually be a little disappointed to lose them in the morning now. Especially since I'm not big on Sheehan.

Mike and Mike have, without question, the best, most knowledgeable guests.  Because they have ESPN behind them, they can book people nobody else can't.  But some of the filler stuff is just tiresome.  

They might get bumped to 570. I seem to remember that being the set up prior to us losing a local morning show. 

Most likely.  I think that in order to be "ESPN980" they have to have M&M on somewhere. 

Poor squeaky!

Who will overblow tweets and dig for the hidden meanings behind the quotes now?

~Bang

I kinda think BMitch is up to the task. 

Galdi seems to have gotten a short end here.. I really like him, as it seems a lot of others do. Not many people can carry a show by themselves, and he can. He can keep conversation moving, keep topics clear and fresh and not fall back on repeating himself over and over (and slightly changing the words so it sounds like more thoughts. Also known as the "Cowherd Shuffle".)

Good news for me is i am in the car before 7 so i can catch the end of his show.

I'd rather Galdi be on the afternoon drive, and put Captain Putz and his sidekick Dandy Andy on in the early hours. But that would mean Czabe may have to miss some sleep and know even less about what happened the night before.

Cooley and Sheehan..  interesting,, I think the film breakdowns could be pretty good with Sheehan along.

~Bang

It's interesting, I think Galdi does better alone than with 1 other person.  He does fine with 2.  

Czabe aint giving up the national show, so the only place for him is evening drive.  I thought he and Andy were boring 10 years ago.  I'm not sure why they would be more exciting now...

I AM looking forward to Kevin and Cooley.  I think that will work well, especially with film breakdowns.  My biggest Kevin Sheehan pet peeve is that he feels the need to repeat himself OVER AND OVER.  Especially coming back from break:

Segment 1: We're going to talk about the 5 most memorable endings to 'Skins games.  Not what happened in the third quarter.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count.  Here is my list.  (blabber).  Remember we're looking for ENDING moments.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count.  (blabber) Ok, let's get some calls on this.  REMEMBER: Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count.  

Segment 2: We're talking abut the 5 most memorable endings to 'Skins games.  Not what happened in the third quarter.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count. Here's my list. (Blabber).  REMEMBER: we are not looking for things that happened early in games. the 5 most memorable endings to 'Skins games.  Not what happened in the third quarter.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count..  Let's take some calls. (2 callers later) Ok, out of time.

• Like 4

That's because Snyder owns the company that owns 980. Cooley is on the gameday broadcasts for the Skins. Going to WJFK would cut him out of all that. Plus, WJFK's days are numbered. CBS is selling them. Whoever buys them is likely to do something different. New line-up. Maybe not sports. It's a strong signal. 

I don't know about that. I mean, they have the Caps, Nats, Wiz, and VT. I feel like that's a pretty valuable stake to drive into the ground as a new sports station.

2. Andy Polin "knows his ****" because he says wrong things authoritatively all the time.  He is wrong as much, if not more, than most.  But he says it with such authority that you wouldn't dare question his boring-ness.  

So, Pollin might not be right about if a current team is going to win or a current player is going to be good. But what I love about him is his ability to frame current sports (mostly Redskins) events in a historical context. He has a great knack for comparing scenarios and events happening in present day to similar scenarios and events from local sports history. I enjoy that a lot. 

So, Pollin might not be right about if a current team is going to win or a current player is going to be good. But what I love about him is his ability to frame current sports (mostly Redskins) events in a historical context. He has a great knack for comparing scenarios and events happening in present day to similar scenarios and events from local sports history. I enjoy that a lot. 

Yeah, but he gets things wrong a lot.  He spent an entire segment one time on how stupid Gibbs was when he came back to trade a bunch of picks right away from JC, after being away from the game for 12 years, with no experience.  

Except that he didn't.  Gibbs returned in 2004, they got Brunnell, drafted ST in the 1st round, and then it was in 2005 that they traded up to pick JC.  

The entire point of his rant was that Gibbs did this right after returning, and he didn't have his facts right, and ignored anybody who tried to correct him.

This happens at least once out of every 2 to 3 times I listen to his show, but that's the most glaring example.  He knows a lot, sure, but he makes up a lot to prove whatever point he's trying to make as well.

• Like 1

Yeah, but he gets things wrong a lot.  He spent an entire segment one time on how stupid Gibbs was when he came back to trade a bunch of picks right away from JC, after being away from the game for 12 years, with no experience.  

Except that he didn't.  Gibbs returned in 2004, they got Brunnell, drafted ST in the 1st round, and then it was in 2005 that they traded up to pick JC.  

The entire point of his rant was that Gibbs did this right after returning, and he didn't have his facts right, and ignored anybody who tried to correct him.

This happens at least once out of every 2 to 3 times I listen to his show, but that's the most glaring example.  He knows a lot, sure, but he makes up a lot to prove whatever point he's trying to make as well.

Good point - that's probably true. 

I remember after the Pats-Seahawks SB that Andy was doing his "first caller guesses the birthdays" spiel on his morning show and the caller didn't really care about guessing the ages, which annoyed Andy. Then the caller went into how Pete Carroll was a racist because he didn't give Marshawn the ball, which sent Pollin further into a tizzy. Too funny!

It'll be interesting to see what Andy and Czabe focus on when the show comes back on. Hopefully the Caps will still be in the midst of a playoff run. Will they devote much time to it? We'll see.

I don't know about that. I mean, they have the Caps, Nats, Wiz, and VT. I feel like that's a pretty valuable stake to drive into the ground as a new sports station.

They are FM with a strong signal and weakish ratings behind 980. They are already in the market. CBS is selling their radio stations. They also aren't new anymore.

Anywho...

With the Sports Reporters back from the dead podcast and then Andy filling in on Czabe's national show getting positive feedback. I think this is the safe move for 980. I also think Czabe will be the headliner of their show.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

FWIW the 980 phone feed at least on TuneIn is better than the 1067 one. 980 just airs all their commercials that they air regularly. 

This may seem like a really mundane point but when you listen to the same 1067 / CBS Radio commercials over and over about debt collection (NO I'M NOT IN ****ING DEBT) then you get pretty annoyed during the commercial breaks, very fast. 

ARE YOU AFRAID THAT THE IRS WILL GARNISH YOUR WAGES

NO I DON'T GIVE A **** I PAY MY TAXES 

• Like 2