Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I do think Sheehan and Cooley present the best tandem 980 can offer to compete with the Junkies in the morning. I'll definitely be listening to them during the football season. The two of them know football, despite having to deal with Sheehan's fascination with Shanahan. The Junkies can barely tell you who's on the Skins roster.

• Like 1

why? he works for a NFL team and has Synder in his pocket.

When Cooley first got on the air a lot of non-local guests came on the show. Most sports talk host can't pull that. I remember Jason Reid getting damn near everyone on the Wash Post to come on the Man Cave, he still had connections there but he couldn't get anyone else. Cooley knows a lot of people, and has kept his name in national headlines with his comments about Griffin the past two years. He could very easily jump to NFL network or ESPN if he wanted to. I really don't think he does though, he could get Snyder to give him whatever he wants.

1. I think he's still got his "Chin Music" show and I'm assuming he's going to still do 'Skins post game.  I like Galdi.  But honestly, without Czabe AND Cooley, he's a bit dry.  The last few weeks, when one of the two of them was out, the show lacked something.  

2. Andy Polin "knows his ****" because he says wrong things authoritatively all the time.  He is wrong as much, if not more, than most.  But he says it with such authority that you wouldn't dare question his boring-ness.  

I used to like Thom and Kevin, but it's run it's course.  And Thom is just anti-everything, conspiracy theory, blah-blah-blah.  It's fine a little bit.  But he's become grating.  

I can't understand what in God's name people see in him.  He's just old and boring.  And his schtick is that he just takes the opposite side of every caller, even it if contradicts his stance from the previous caller.  I guess he's a lifer, and has been a good soldier, but ee-gads, they couldn't do better than to bring back those two?  I'm sure it's going to be a nostalgia tour for a while.  I know they've been doing a podcast together, maybe it's getting good reviews?

Mike and Mike have, without question, the best, most knowledgeable guests.  Because they have ESPN behind them, they can book people nobody else can't.  But some of the filler stuff is just tiresome.  

Most likely.  I think that in order to be "ESPN980" they have to have M&M on somewhere. 

I kinda think BMitch is up to the task. 

It's interesting, I think Galdi does better alone than with 1 other person.  He does fine with 2.  

Czabe aint giving up the national show, so the only place for him is evening drive.  I thought he and Andy were boring 10 years ago.  I'm not sure why they would be more exciting now...

I AM looking forward to Kevin and Cooley.  I think that will work well, especially with film breakdowns.  My biggest Kevin Sheehan pet peeve is that he feels the need to repeat himself OVER AND OVER.  Especially coming back from break:

Segment 1: We're going to talk about the 5 most memorable endings to 'Skins games.  Not what happened in the third quarter.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count.  Here is my list.  (blabber).  Remember we're looking for ENDING moments.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count.  (blabber) Ok, let's get some calls on this.  REMEMBER: Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count.  

Segment 2: We're talking abut the 5 most memorable endings to 'Skins games.  Not what happened in the third quarter.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count. Here's my list. (Blabber).  REMEMBER: we are not looking for things that happened early in games. the 5 most memorable endings to 'Skins games.  Not what happened in the third quarter.  Riggo's run doesn't count.  Green's punt return doesn't count..  Let's take some calls. (2 callers later) Ok, out of time.

Chris Russell is super guilty of this, sometimes I want to scream at my radioed Udell get on with it!!!".

The problem with pairing Cooley up with Sheehan is that Cooley really doesn't know all that much about other sports besides football. Now that's not really an issue when he's with Galdi and Czabe, but with just Sheehan that show is going to be lacking, as even Sheehan is really only knowledgable in football and basketball(he relies on Loverro a ton for baseball).

As someone else posted, it seems like a waste to just have Galdi on from 5-7 am. This is how I would've arranged the lineup:

6-10 am: Galdi and Cooley

10-12: Tony

12-2: Loverro and Pollin could discuss DC sports and boxing from the 1970s

2-4: Jackson, Mitchell, and Doc

4-7: Sheehan and Czaban

7-10: whatever new show is being proposed

However, no matter what lineup there is, it won't mater, as many of the personalities still won't go outside their comfort zones and will still be devoting countless hours to the Redskins in early June, even if the Caps are in the Cup Finals

You mean more of Andy Pollin on the monday morning after a game over-reacting about minor things and crying like a baby over practically everything that isn't exactly like the 80s?

Oh, i can hardly wait.

~Bang

• Like 2

Galdi and Tim Murray do great jobs with their Saturday shows on baseball and Murray now on hockey.

In 2014 I enjoyed Murray's 9-10 AM show on the Nats in early October (which sadly didn't get to run its course because of Matt Williams)

It absolutely can be done and done well. There is enough talent to do more then "RG3 tweeted out "i am a brown now"" 

I think weekly (or a segment daily) is fine. I don't see how you spend much more time on baseball year-round. In October, sure. But can you really fill more than 10-12 minutes on a July Thursday about the Nats/Padres series or whether the Mets are a threat to the Nats at 6.5 games back? I would INSTANTLY turn that off. 

So is "The Sports Reporters" show back, or are we just calling it that because it's Andy and Czabe together?  Because I really liked the specific Sports Reporters format with the rotating cast of characters.  Kinda kept things fresh and interesting day to day.  Knoche, Blackistone, probably half the people that came on aren't even in town anymore.  Even Loverro could come back.  Loverro every day, not so great.  Loverro once or twice a week chopping it up with Czabe and Andy, I can live with.  

Cooley and Sheehan kinda seems like a natural fit, at least during football season.  Sheehan's going to get tired carrying that show on his back every other time.  Although, I think a later timeslot would've been better since they could get into breaking Redskins news as the day was going on. 

I would think with the Sports Reporters back, you will get lots of guests. Maybe even Cooley from training camp in the summer.

Loverro? Doubt it. Wasn't he on vacation this past week? Wonder if he knew about this a week ago, took his ball and went home.

Actually heard that Loverro, Jason Reid and UnWise Mike are doing a podcast together. Calling it "Hate! Hate! Hate!"

I need to tweet that

I pretty much tune 980 out over the summer until training camp. I used to loathe Lavar & Dukes--but Chad covering baseball is actually pretty good. (I kinda like him making fun of the stupid callers). I think 106.7, as an overall sports station, has eclipsed 980.

• Like 1

I pretty much tune 980 out over the summer until training camp. I used to loathe Lavar & Dukes--but Chad covering baseball is actually pretty good. (I kinda like him making fun of the stupid callers). I think 106.7, as an overall sports station, has eclipsed 980.

Again. Their ratings are behind 980 AND CBS is selling the station. New owners likely to do something drastic.

So is "The Sports Reporters" show back, or are we just calling it that because it's Andy and Czabe together?  Because I really liked the specific Sports Reporters format with the rotating cast of characters.  Kinda kept things fresh and interesting day to day.  Knoche, Blackistone, probably half the people that came on aren't even in town anymore.  Even Loverro could come back.  Loverro every day, not so great.  Loverro once or twice a week chopping it up with Czabe and Andy, I can live with.  

Cooley and Sheehan kinda seems like a natural fit, at least during football season.  Sheehan's going to get tired carrying that show on his back every other time.  Although, I think a later timeslot would've been better since they could get into breaking Redskins news as the day was going on. 

Good point. That show had probably the best format of them all. As someone who grew to tolerate, and then eventually like, the two hosts I am pretty excited. 

I wonder when they will finally pull the plug on TK - he's honestly the worst 2 hours on the station. 

I don't get the Tony hate. I love his show. Its not a real 2 hour sports show though, in fact many of the shows he talks sports for maybe 25% of the time. But what's great is all the guest hosts and "old guy radio" when Tony just whines about random stuff(the episode the other day where he complained about the Apple Store was amazing).

• Like 1

I would think with the Sports Reporters back, you will get lots of guests. Maybe even Cooley from training camp in the summer.

Loverro? Doubt it. Wasn't he on vacation this past week? Wonder if he knew about this a week ago, took his ball and went home.

Good

Get to steppin

Put me in the kornheiser hate column... It is truly unlistenable. I used to like his show with Wilbon but that has run its course, too. Go back to writing full time.

I will kind of miss the sports fix as it was when I usually take lunch and chill for an hour and always love skins at one... Loverros voice alone was headache inducing and for a while I thought he had pictures of th station manager with kids or goats or something... Despite that Sheehan is the best talent On the station and it will be interesting to hear him with Cooley... Like Cooley and his game breakdowns are great but sometimes he runs out of steam for me.

Vinnie and the Bulldog on 105.7 the fan is hilarious. Those two have way too much fun to call it work.

That Vinnie would be....wait for it......Cerrato. Yep. He's actually quite entertaining.

"Im stupid and contagious" Vinnie cracks me up

Does anyone know how to stream 105.7 on a cell phone?

I do think Sheehan and Cooley present the best tandem 980 can offer to compete with the Junkies in the morning. I'll definitely be listening to them during the football season. The two of them know football, despite having to deal with Sheehan's fascination with Shanahan. The Junkies can barely tell you who's on the Skins roster.

Yep.

Sheehan seems to have lost his mind since his idol got canned, but he's still entertaining (when he's not doing tired bits, like vor alluded to).

And cooleys entertaining.

I might actually start enjoying dc morning radio again.