Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I see you two are the show's only fans.

What are you talking about. Kornheiser is a legend in this town. He has the best radio show without question. 

No one has listed a reason yet why he is "unbearable". In fact, he bucks the trend of the normal sports talk show taking dumb callers and talking ad nauseum about the Redskins for 4 or 5 hours a day. Ain't nobody got time for that. 

Kornheiser did what he thought was successful. A show without callers, where it's all about him and his takes on sports, with the regular guests like Bob Ryan. Some people on the show like Cilizza can be irritating and they blow the jingles way out of proportion but when you have just plain Tony going off on sports or DC politics or mundane things like the Apple Store it's classic. 

People don't like Tony's show because it isn't a hardcore sports talk show. Its a show on a sports talk station but he spends most of the time talking about just random stuff. Personally I prefer it. He talks enough about sports that its fine for me, I personally love his musings and complainints about modern life. And he's got great guest hosts like David Aldridge, Gary Braun, etc. There are also a lot of inside jokes on the show that you really don't get unless you're a long time listener.

And yeah, the fact that he doesn't take callers is amazing. I can't stand listening to callers, 99% of them are absolute morons who literally know nothing.

You had a caller yesterday on Crashing The Net who said that either Ovechkin or Backstrom should go if the Caps don't win the cup this year. It was quite alarming and just the typical "Fan overreaction" call. This is why callers are terrible. The show is good, it's just that callers just dial in and bring up ludicrous trades or proposals. 

People just hate Tony because they're again used to the typical sports talk formula. Your typical show is two "man" bantering about mostly football with Steph Curry and the NBA mixed in. Baseball is rarely discussed and hockey virtually never. Football is obsessively discussed all year, even in the offseason when there could not possibly be anything to talk about. And of course all the calls and commercials. 

Tony brings scathing sarcasm and criticism in terms of sports but as well as the real world too. His takes on politics as well as social commentary are hilarious. You won't see any of the other hosts in this area rant about Iphones because they just want to talk sports. Tony doesn't give a damn what you think or what the mainstream thinks. He's an old man rambling and he has many legions of fans who support his work. 

No, I hate Tony's show because he his takes are usually completely off because he's so out of touch with sports and he just complains about everything. Maybe that appeals to s certain demographic that gets his old guy schtick. But you can be different without being annoying, and I made no mention of him not taking callers. This has nothing to do with that, I couldn't care less.

And this false narrative that Kornheiser is the only local host who doesn't talk sports is nonsense. The Junkies do it all the time. Every single show on both stations aside from Brian Mitchell and Doc will talk about non-sports stuff, the difference is their topics don't narrow down to," I don't get _______. What is up with this _______ stuff? Someone explain this to me. Oh, that's all? I remember when...."

I'll pass.

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

I don't have access to show by show ratings. But you'd think Tony's is one of the most highly rated shows on the station, if not the top on 980 or JFK.

I like his show. No callers. Interviews with writers on sports or politics.

Didn't he turn down an extension on a national ESPN radio show just to do this locally?

No, I hate Tony's show because he his takes are usually completely off because he's so out of touch with sports and he just complains about everything. Maybe that appeals to s certain demographic that gets his old guy schtick. But you can be different without being annoying, and I made no mention of him not taking callers. This has nothing to do with that, I couldn't care less.

And this false narrative that Kornheiser is the only local host who doesn't talk sports is nonsense. The Junkies do it all the time. Every single show on both stations aside from Brian Mitchell and Doc will talk about non-sports stuff, the difference is their topics don't narrow down to," I don't get _______. What is up with this _______ stuff? Someone explain this to me. Oh, that's all? I remember when...."

I'll pass.

But they're not old guys or "Old Guy Radio". Tony's frustration with the new kids is the novelty here. 

However, no matter what lineup there is, it won't mater, as many of the personalities still won't go outside their comfort zones and will still be devoting countless hours to the Redskins in early June, even if the Caps are in the Cup Finals

Nobody likes hockey.

Sorry....it's science.

Kornheiser got really really overexposed there for a years and I needed a break from him. I'm slowly reincorporating his Andy Rooney act back into my listening life.

Honestly, I can't listen to straight talk radio any longer. I hear a commercial at this point and freak out.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 2

Kornheiser is unbearable to me because his "i'm old and don't get this newfangled worldf" shtick gets old really fast,, his in-studio support is awful, with most of tyhe takes easily represented by a very limp and oversaturaed pickle. (oh, i don't get the tweeter and i don't get the insta-gab. It's amazng he actually gets "wireless radio".)

"Nigel".. please.. how many years is a stale joke allowed to live? Apparently forever.

Oh, a monkey joke.

haha.. again.

Oh, and here's the woman in studio, i can't tell if she's 75 or 80.. but she sure sounds damn close.

It's NPR without the excitement. 

It's Mayonnaise without all the spice.

It's a hamster in a wheel ...  just walkin'.

Oh, here comes Bawb Royan, with a Sports take from Baa-stin. 

Let's put the snore-inducing borefest that is the guy from Bleacher report on for a half hour to make sure i am now absolutely tired of listening to talk about yesterday's big game. That guy drones ON and ON and ON...

Lets get Mike Wilbon out of bed so he can talk so low over the phone that i can't understand half of what he says.

Oh hang on, here's another off-key parody song by some little who still thinks these things are clever and / or funny.

(They're not)

best part of Tony's show is the email, and not just any email, but the one where he says "how much time have i got" and the Nigel-Producer thing answers "10 seconds".

i like Tony,, like to read him for 20 minutes 3 times a week.

Not listen to him 2 hours every day.

So i hope those are enough reasons from me at least as to why his show is unbearable.

And if you're out on your bike tonight, go the **** home. It's night time and your old ass is a hazard.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3

New line-up. Maybe not sports. It's a strong signal.

I know it's unlikely but...please do hot talk. Please do hot talk. Please do hot talk.

I don't need another random music station. I definitely don't need another "news" or political station. And one local + a few national sports stations absolutely is fine. Give me a talker that we don't really have in the area anymore.

Won't happen, because the format is pretty much dead on terrestrial, but a guy can dream.

Kornheiser is the best talk show in the area. Bow down.

You enjoy Kornheiser and cheer the return of Andy in the afternoons, and think Danny and Grant are terrible.

I can see why some think two sports stations are needed. We are very, very different listeners it seems.

Kornheiser's show would be the format I'd enjoy, if he wasn't an annoying geezer who talks about crap I don't give a crap about at all, often in the most annoying and whiny voice possible. The only thing I disliked more than listening to his show was listening to UnWise Mike's hateful horrible impersonation of his show.

If someone like Dukes, Danny, or Grant had the ability to have the same format as Kornheiser (in terms of freedom to spend very little time on sports) I'd likely love it. But I'm apparently way out of Tony's demo.

Edited by ZRagone

Got in the car after lunch and Kevin was asking for callers to talk about the biggest Skins meltdowns. I'm thinking "Why the F would I want to hear about that?" that was an easy flip to music. 

If you don't have anything relevant to talk about with the Skins. Then do something else. But I don't need needles in my ears right now. 

• Like 4

People don't like Tony's show because it isn't a hardcore sports talk show. Its a show on a sports talk station but he spends most of the time talking about just random stuff. Personally I prefer it. He talks enough about sports that its fine for me, I personally love his musings and complainints about modern life. And he's got great guest hosts like David Aldridge, Gary Braun, etc. There are also a lot of inside jokes on the show that you really don't get unless you're a long time listener.

And yeah, the fact that he doesn't take callers is amazing. I can't stand listening to callers, 99% of them are absolute morons who literally know nothing.

I don't care for Tony only because he (and his guests) skew really old.  I get it, it's his schtick.  He's the old, orange, bald curmudgeon.  

I'm 40.  And he's even old for me.  And when he gets Bob Ryan from Boston on, eegads.

• Like 4

Yeah, I'm not big on Tony either. The old guy this is fine, just not my thing. But I also don't really dig the whole not talking sports, on a sports radio station thing. I don't mind when something leads into a couple minutes of a food discussion and then moves back into the sports realm or something along those lines. But I'm just not into the "Everything else, and a little bit of sports" formula. That's one thing I always disliked about the Junkies. Not what I tune into Sports Radio for. If I wanted that formula I'd listen to Elliot or something like that.

• Like 1

Got in the car after lunch and Kevin was asking for callers to talk about the biggest Skins meltdowns. I'm thinking "Why the F would I want to hear about that?" that was an easy flip to music. 

If you don't have anything relevant to talk about with the Skins. Then do something else. But I don't need needles in my ears right now. 

Yeah thats the problem with The Sports Fix. They have their Redskins at 1 segment everyday and in this time of the year there really isn't anything relevant to talk about so they have to come up with random topics. I guess they talked meltdowns because of Spieth's meltdown at the Masters. I know after the Bball National Title game the subject was best Redskins finishes.

If 980 didn't have Tony, somebody else would in the same time slot, and beat whatever 980 has on at that time. 

If anything, they should worry about mixing up the topics throughout the day so each show isn't so close in what/how they talk about something. Of course there is overlap. But if you want listeners throughout the day....variety would be nice. That's why I like Tony. He'll have different guests than the other shows. Even for the same general topics.

I'm intrigued by the Sheehan and Cooley show. Sheehan is going from a two-hour show with Loverro to a four-hour show with Cooley. Be curious to see how it does ratings-wise against the Junkies.......I just hope that it maintains a sports-centered content instead of going all over the place like the Junks.

Yeah thats the problem with The Sports Fix. They have their Redskins at 1 segment everyday and in this time of the year there really isn't anything relevant to talk about so they have to come up with random topics. I guess they talked meltdowns because of Spieth's meltdown at the Masters. I know after the Bball National Title game the subject was best Redskins finishes.

See - I don't mind that. It's a 15-minute segment at 1pm for the hands-down #1 team in the area. I think creative ways to weave Redskins into the show are pretty cool. If Redskins-at-One lasted the entire hour then it would suck, but one segment is bearable since there are a lot of people who care about football year-round. 

A-freakin-Men!

The guy at DCRTV said Tony actually gets really good ratings and probably is popular in the target demographic, whatever that might be.   That being said, if I'm in the mood to listen he can be entertaining.  Otherwise, when I have the chance to listen during the day, I skip him and the Sheahan-Loverro nightmare.

Who is mostly listening to the radio at 10-11 am other than old people?

People who are driving would listen, as well as the aforementioned old people, but I think that's part of why he's on when he's on.  I haven't seen it lately but one time I saw slightly more detailed ratings than stations' overall 12+ numbers and Cooley/Czabe/Galdi were ranked in the high 20s for their timeslot so they're not delivering big numbers overall.