Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

Ha. The biggest thing I hated about Russell was he was non committal on every GD thing he said. Every opinion he had he would say something to give himself an out if he was wrong.

If you think a player sucks, just say you think he sucks, and suck it up if you're wrong.

I listened to some of Chad Dukes yesterday on my way home. He is so, so much better without Lavar, and it isn't even funny. He talked briefly about Haynesworth--and made a great point about why he would bring this up? He did't have the ammunition in the fight.

He started a segment on Redskins haters. There were two primary ones: Fatty McFat**** and McNabb (a different Fatty McFat****). One person said Carriker--which Dukes shot down pretty well. It was much better then the "How Long Can I Listen to Their Show Before They Say Something Stupid" Game I used to play with that show.

That must've been a hoot, listening to Chad Flukes rip Redskins haters. Please tell me Mr. Tit Job at least didn't call someone else fat?

Edited by BornaSkinsFan83

I will never forget Russell boldly stating he would resign from ESPN 980 if the skins signed Desean Jackson. Then promptly backpedaled off that when it happened a day later.

I don't truly expect someone who has a family to support, a special needs child (my son has DS too), to quit their job for such a silly reason. But what is even dumber is the fact he offered his job up like that and made his word look like worthless. Just don't say it, stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd much prefer the Sports Reporters as a show over The Drive. I liked the rotating reporters gimmick. If they could incorporate the film breakdowns with Cooley not having to be there all every day, it'd be the perfect show.

I will never forget Russell boldly stating he would resign from ESPN 980 if the skins signed Desean Jackson. Then promptly backpedaled off that when it happened a day later.

I don't truly expect someone who has a family to support, a special needs child (my son has DS too), to quit their job for such a silly reason. But what is even dumber is the fact he offered his job up like that and made his word look like worthless. Just don't say it, stupid.

To be fair, he stayed true to his word, for a few hours anyway. lol If I recall correctly, he actually did quit, but it was management that basically said "this is stupid and we'really not going along with this".

Edited by justice98

What is Andy's role at the station going to be once the Super Bowl is over?  Doesn't Sheehan perform the role Andy used to do on the Tony show? I guess they've given Andy a Saturday Redskins-centered show, but what else?

I always thought Andy would be good paired with Loverro at noon and Sheehan would be good with Czaban in drive-time, but that was before the creation of the Drive.

To be fair, he stayed true to his word, for a few hours anyway. lol If I recall correctly, he actually did quit, but it was management that basically said "this is stupid and we'really not going along with this".

I heard it was arranged by management that he would "quit" and then they would bring him back before he even announced that. But either way, just don't make dumb bold promises like that. 

Nobody's mentioned the lavar/trotter story?

What is the story? 

What is the story?

Jeremiah Trotter was on philly radio and told a story about how he apparently got tired of lavars bs and knocked him out.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/398664-here’s-an-amazing-story-of-jeremiah-trotter-knocking-out-lavar-arrington/page-

Dukes did today. He said he talked to Lavar today and was told the story was exaggerated.

Thanks. Kinda surprised there's no word from lavar about this. I know when Portis and Smoot have said things about him, he was quick to respond. Edited by grego
  • Like 1

How do we start an online petition for 980 to bring back the Sports Reporters in the afternoons? Nothing against Cooley or Al. But that was fun yesterday. Andy did mention the Programming Director who killed their old show, isn't there anymore. Actually, I think a few have left since.

Put Cooley on at noon with Sheehan. Dump Loverro into the Potomac. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

Hah, I would definitely like a cooley/sheehan noon show, and czabe/polin back in the afternoon.

I would feel bad for Galdi though, that dude works his butt off. Would hate to see him lose his first real chance at a show...

I think 980 should lure Czabe away from Yahoo (isn't he down to only 3 days a week now anyways?) and put the Sports Reporters on in the morning.

I don't know what that would do long term to the Drive, but Czabe ran in both the AM and PM for quite a while...

I was very worried listening to Tony kornheiser pontificate on last week's podcast (just listening now) about the death of the mid range j. I remember when players would hit mid range jumpers. Now its all easy shots at the rim or three pointers. What's up with that?

I don't see the issue with a mid range jumper and if a guy has a clean shot, easy, mid range, or three, hit it. Don't go exclusively three pointer.

Hah, I would definitely like a cooley/sheehan noon show, and czabe/polin back in the afternoon.

I would feel bad for Galdi though, that dude works his butt off. Would hate to see him lose his first real chance at a show...

I think 980 should lure Czabe away from Yahoo (isn't he down to only 3 days a week now anyways?) and put the Sports Reporters on in the morning.

I don't know what that would do long term to the Drive, but Czabe ran in both the AM and PM for quite a while...

Czabe is on five days a week in the morning, just can't hear it every day in dc. They already tried the sports reporters in the morning years ago. It was a huge flop

that must have been before i switched to 980. oh well, i don't understand what would make their show not work in the morning but that sort of thing is over my head a little.

their soundcloud pod casts are good. 30 minute, no commercials, and they aren't restrained in what they can discuss which makes things interesting at times.

once czabe get's over his 'i can cuss every other word now!' phase it'll be better.

What is Andy's role at the station going to be once the Super Bowl is over? Doesn't Sheehan perform the role Andy used to do on the Tony show? I guess they've given Andy a Saturday Redskins-centered show, but what else?

I always thought Andy would be good paired with Loverro at noon and Sheehan would be good with Czaban in drive-time, but that was before the creation of the Drive.

I think Andy's just the miscellaneous guy. Use when necessary. He's probably been there so long, they find some reason to keep him around. He is a valuable guy to have around, I guess.

For whatever reason, I've never been able to get into Czabe's national show. And I really should love it, since it's the same cast of characters I'm familiar with.

that must have been before i switched to 980. oh well, i don't understand what would make their show not work in the morning but that sort of thing is over my head a little.

their soundcloud pod casts are good. 30 minute, no commercials, and they aren't restrained in what they can discuss which makes things interesting at times.

once czabe get's over his 'i can cuss every other word now!' phase it'll be better.

Agreed, the podcasts have been great

• 3 weeks later...

I woulda liked the management of 980 to have allowed the Mancave to at least make it to the end of the season. Things were shaping up pretty good between listening to 106.7 and 980 in the morning because for example, when the Junkies would go off on a tangent about the wacky adventures of Lurch or Cakes when they go to drop the kids off at the pool or some other banal daily life bit there was a legit option.  (Mike and Mike's show of seemingly Non-Stop Commercial Blocks briefly punctuated by puddle deep banter doesn't make the cut)

I don't mean to imply by my example that the Junkies are go-to and the Mancave was the back-up  things worked out one way or the other but I'll give Reid his due I found his on-air deal far better than his print offerings.

Concerning the discussion of Andy Pollin, my take is that the Universe settled on him to be the proof incarnate of the following quote:

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." - Woody Allen

velocet

I think Grant Paulsen might seriously be a psychopath, dude went on a 2 minute rant about people calling Cousin by the name of Kirk instead of Kurt. Dude, I know you have some insane crush on the guy, but it's time to get over it.

Can't lie, that **** kinda irks me too lol.

I've really been more so annoyed by the bits the Junkies have done with the people in studio. This lie detector test on A-Wad, then shaving LL into the back of his head. The campaign to get the one guy to lose weight. That's the kinda stuff I would expect to find on Elliot, who I really like. Just saying that kinda stuff is definitely more his avenue than what any sports show is supposed to be. But of course, those moments got them serious ratings from what I'm to understand so I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I think Grant Paulsen might seriously be a psychopath, dude went on a 2 minute rant about people calling Cousin by the name of Kirk instead of Kurt. Dude, I know you have some insane crush on the guy, but it's time to get over it.

Used to like Grant as a beat reporter that was just giddy to be around the team he grew up loving.

The Grant that has his own show seems to be holier than thou and a bit overboard with his man crushes.

• Like 2