Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I like the Junkies enough in the morning--with one caveat: So long as they're not talking about RGIII. Which, thankfully, they haven't had too much to talk about him lately. They're entertaining enough.

I do like Grant and Danny, I find them entertaining, and I think they have a good rapport with each other. I especially like them during baseball season--since, unlike many of the other stations, they actually cover the Nats a lot, with interesting topics that make people want to call in.

Finally, I listen to Cooley and Czabe most days on the way home. I love them during football season, but I do find them annoying in baseball season, because, they're usually talking about the Wizards/Caps early in the year, Redskins/Wizard off-season during the summer, with an "oh yeah, forgot about them" attitude towards Baseball.

• Like 1

This thread is so funny. Who do you guys actually LIKE on sports talk radio in DC?

Seems like everyone thinks that:

- Chad Dukes is a giant douche

- Grant and Danny are annoying

- B-Mitch is a hater

- JReid just sucks at everything, thankfully he's gone

- Sports Junkies are obnoxious and don't really know much about anything

- UnWise Mike is a race baiting dickhead

- Czabe is a douche

- Loverro and Sheehan just nitpick all day and look for soundclips to blow out of proportion

- I LOVE COOLEY AND HIS BREAKDOWNS

I mean...why even bother listening to sports talk radio in the DMV if you feel this way? Unless you're a masochist and love to listen to what you hate because it riles up the blood.

I think people DO actually like to get riled up. Not just about sports radio, but in general.

• Like 1

I just listen to the National Programming from either ESPN Radio or CBS Sports Radio.  I think our local sports radio is pretty bad when compared to other cities with a few exceptions (Galdi, Sheehan, Cooley).  All the rest make me want to turn off the radio and question why I don't have Sirus XM by now.  Like someone said earlier, I will tune in once in a while to NY Sports radio, listening to Francesa/Beningo & Roberts.  Its especially fun when NY teams lose big games.  WFAN is hilarious to listen to whenever NY sports teams suffer a meltdown or devastating loses.

The station employs and features a show with Doc Walker and Brian Mitchell. Both are black.

They also used to feature Coach Thompson. Also black.

UnWise Mike is a petty little ****

I think we should be careful assuming that simply because there's another show with black talent the station that the station management can't be racist. That's pretty flimsy evidence. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's many a racist manager that has black employees. Just a guess.

Now, I actually don't personally think this is about race, but not for the Doc/BMitch reason people are throwing around. I think the bad blood from the whole fiasco with the show from the beginning never went away. And that could be about anything. Could just be egos and a power play.

I like the Junks.  They don't take themselves too seriously and don't have too much ego to where they can't admit they're wrong.  However, I can't listen to them for more than 20-30 minutes per day. 

I also like Cooley and Czabe during football season. 

That's about it for me in this area. 

• 2 weeks later...

The funny thing about Kornheiser is his biting wit and satire. While everyone else was freaking out about Bud Black Kornheiser took to the airwaves that week to say that Bud Black's record in San Diego was pretty bad plus he was a pitcher and pitchers make bad managers. He was not a fan of the alleged hire and repeatedly ripped Black or referenced his suboptimal San Diego record. He seemed to be more content with Dusty Baker. 

Perhaps it's because the lad surrounds himself with old fashioned people like Aldridge et cetera but he seems to be very old school and not in favor of the fancy stats. The sabermetricians loved Black because they perceived Dusty as an old man loathe to apply analytics. But on the other hand Black didn't really do much in San Diego. So Kornheiser was just pointing out why there was so much hype for someone who didn't do anything. 

Decided to take a quick listen to the Junkies this morning to see if things are easier to listen to since we're winning. I made a horrible mistakes.

First part was EB talking about how Louis Riddick/Charley Casserly both think Cousins will end up being an average QB/backup in the league. Shockingly EB says he could be an average QB and he would love that. Huh? So we're cool with having an average QB? Yes, I know it's been awhile since we've had an average QB, but don't we want more than that?

Then, EB tried to tell JP that the Cowboys have had more offensive weapons to work with this season than the Redskins. He said Jordan Reed has missed half the season. Um, Reed has missed 2 out of a possible 9 games this season. On what planet is 2 half of 9? And as much as I hate the Cowboys, their offense has had some losses. Romo has been out since Week 2, Dez missed 6 games, their starting RB for the season isn't even on the team anymore, and their 3rd down back is out for the year. Yes, we've been without DJax for most of the year, but the other guys have been relatively healthy outside of the 2 games Reed missed.

EB has to be the most annoying radio personality in the area.

Matt, it is your own fault for thinking the Junkies could ever have anything intelligent to offer. Every time I listen to them it never fails that I find myself shaking my head at something obviously wrong they say and it goes completely incorrected. They are too dumb to do any better.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I must say,, i really like Al Galdi.

This Friday Morning QB show is terrific.. scratches my football and other local sports itches.. Mike & Mike are OK.. but if they gave Galdi that morning shot, i'd be glad to listen. He conducts a good show.. not many can do it on their own in the studio, but he has a steady parade of phone in guests that keeps it interesting, and he moves it along at a good pace. I also think he's a solid interviewer.

Mo' Galdi = mo' better.

~Bang

• Like 2

Al Galdi is one of the more underrated people. I agree with you Bang. First time I listened this morning, and I'll listen next week too.

My only issue with him is he allows himself to go down ridiculous rabbit holes of pot stirring. He does it on purpose, he makes it obvious he's doing it. When he does that I get irritated because I know he's capable of doing intelligent sports talk and is choosing not to.

He's great on the post game shows too.

Dude's worked his ass off to get on The Drive and now a Friday morning show solo.

• Like 1

Al Galdi is one of the more underrated people. I agree with you Bang. First time I listened this morning, and I'll listen next week too.

My only issue with him is he allows himself to go down ridiculous rabbit holes of pot stirring. He does it on purpose, he makes it obvious he's doing it. When he does that I get irritated because I know he's capable of doing intelligent sports talk and is choosing not to.

He's great on the post game shows too.

Dude's worked his ass off to get on The Drive and now a Friday morning show solo.

I thought last week Andy Pollin was on all morning with him?

I thought last week Andy Pollin was on all morning with him?

I didn't listen last week.

I turned it on at 6 AM this morning while getting ready and it was just him.

Somewhere along the way Polin joined him and I thought it was a segment discussing Dallas vs Redskins MNF match ups and the history of the rivalry on MNF.

While they were discussing that I got to work and turned it off. Maybe he stayed on the rest of the way, I don't know. But it was just him to start today, and from what I remember from the other hosts advertising the show they said it was Galdi flying solo.

*shrug*

there was a day this week Cooley was out sick and it was just Al and Czabe. Cooley's film breakdowns are great. But him missing from that show wasn't bad. It flowed very easily. Two voices are so much easier than one. I mean, when you have a producer or update guy involved from time to time. That's fine. But outside of Mr. Tony. I can't think of a show where more than 2 guys is better than just 2.

there was a day this week Cooley was out sick and it was just Al and Czabe. Cooley's film breakdowns are great. But him missing from that show wasn't bad. It flowed very easily. Two voices are so much easier than one. I mean, when you have a producer or update guy involved from time to time. That's fine. But outside of Mr. Tony. I can't think of a show where more than 2 guys is better than just 2.

Yeah two people flows better than three. When Cooley is there its really more of the Cooley and Czabe Show with Galdi serving as an intermediary of sorts. I like Galdi a lot and he's too good to be in that small of a role.