Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Tennis.

DM72

Yeah I feel like interest in horse racing isn't what it used to be. Seems like people don't gamble in the ways they used to and that kind of takes the wind out of the sails for horse racing.

The Triple Crown still has a place in the public eye though, like March Madness does. I don't know anything about horses and it's still fun for me and it's always been a good excuse to party.

I'm reading the book "Eight Men Out" about the 1919 Black Sox scandal and there is a lot if references to Horse Racing and Boxing being so corrupt with the betting along with baseball. The three main sports that Predicto talked about.

• 4 months later...

http://espn.go.com/tennis/french15/story/_/id/13023322/serena-williams-wins-2015-french-open-20th-grand-slam-title

Serena Williams wins French Open for 20th Grand Slam title

She now has three French Open trophies to go alongside six each from the U.S. Open and Australian Open, and five from Wimbledon. She also became the first woman to win consecutive U.S. Open, Australian Open, and French Open titles since Monica Seles in 1991-92.

Only two women in the century-plus history of Grand Slam tennis have won more than the 33-year-old American: Margaret Smith Court with 24 titles, and Steffi Graf with 22.

It's amazing how she can lose her focus and then come back and dominate her opponent. Credit to Safarova, but Serena should have won in the second set. Great job by Safarova to stay focused and make it a match. Serena is rightly so the favorite in the upcoming slams. She will eventually get the credit as the GOAT by the masses after she retired.

^Bruh lol

It's amazing how she can lose her focus and then come back and dominate her opponent. Credit to Safarova, but Serena should have won in the second set.

Yeah. I was in the Barber Shop trying to watch. I saw she was up 4-2 in the second set and up 40-15. I stopped looking after that and then saw it was 4-4 in the second set. I was so confused lol 

By the way, what has absolutely killed Tennis in the US is the fact that nobody watches the men's game. Like at all.

It's sort of staggering what has happened there.

Women's tennis has always been popular, but the men's side was defintely more popular in the heyday of McEnroe, Borg, Conners, etc. It's amazing that the women's side draws at all compared to what happened to it's men's counterpoint.

I'm probably not going too far out on a limb, but Serena's issue is not the lack of a rival, but the fact there has not been a top flight American men's player since Sampras.

I'd agree with this.  I remember it being more popular with Agassi/Sampras and a stronger, more interesting men's field.  I remember growing up watching guys like Lendl and Becker, too.  McEnroe wasn't in his prime but he was still a name.  Just seemed like there was always a good guy, always a bad guy.  Now, there's no American great player and the overall field of talent just doesn't seem to be as interesting.

No doubt, Serena is an all time great.  I just hate how everything boils down to race as a factor as to whether she's popular or not.  

• 1 month later...

Definitely the greatest women's player of all time.

I don't think thats up for discussion

its more about where she ranks in terms of athletes in general

No way.  Roger's best is so much better than Djok's best level

hasn't been the case for some time now

4 straight majors for the 2nd time in her career

and has a chance for the calendar Grand Slam

Is that a record twice over?

Steffi's still the only girl  to do the calendar Golden Slam right?

Never understood how Serena's not received the same love and adulation in her home Country as she always has in Britain. She's what, 1 slam behind Steffi and 3 behind Margaret Court? Not only is she the greatest US woman's tennis player of all time, she could well end up the greatest woman's tennis player of all time period. 

And she always comes across a wonderfully humble and genuine, really nice girl. 

Congrats. Awesome achievement from an awesome lady. 

Hail. 

Archived