Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Tennis.

DM72

I suspect in another 1-2 seasons, if Serena stays healthy, we won't be having this discussion.

Another thing some don't mention much, but early on in her's and Venus's careers, their overbearing fathering kind of cast a negative light on their accomplishments.  His presence, his demeanor and stories about him just never painted him well and I don't think that helped the girls' public image, at least in the beginning.

She's also the player who took the shrieking and grunting to the next level, thus ushering in the era of watching women's tennis with the sound turned off.

I hate playing women like that.  Can't say whether it really detrimentally affects my play against them or not, but I don't think it does.  However, it does annoys me when women do that on every. freaking. shot:  lady, you just hit a topspin lob to my baseline, tone your scream down a little bit, you're making yourself look like a doofus.

Sidenote:  Has anyone watched HBO's mockumentary "7 Days in Hell" about a 7-day tennis match between Andy Samberg and Kit Harington???

Was Seles the one that damn near shrieked? I remember some chick that screamed like she was being hacked to death with a rusty hatchet after every shot back in the mid-late 90's.

Yes

Martina was/is the upper echelon of all-time female athletes. Incredible talent.

I don't really care about their personalities.

Serena is standing right there, shoulder to shoulder. Seles was very good.

I do think that Serena would beat both, even considering technology and all being in their prime. Graff...is not in the conversation to me.

Martina certainly revolutionised woman's tennis and the way the game was not only played, but the whole off court/ preparation approach to it. The fact she dominated the doubles scene with Shriver, alongside her singles commitments, speaks volumes for her supreme fitness and athleticism. But there was just something about her I never did like. Respected the Hell out of her ability and consistency, but she always came across as too stoic and full of herself to me. 

I was always an Evert then Graf fan. The complete polar opposites whilst being equally as successful and more than the Czech. (Sorry, Czech-American.  :P .). 

Martina certainly revolutionised woman's tennis and the way the game was not only played, but the whole off court/ preparation approach to it. The fact she dominated the doubles scene with Shriver, alongside her singles commitments, speaks volumes for her supreme fitness and athleticism. But there was just something about her I never did like. Respected the Hell out of her ability and consistency, but she always came across as too stoic and full of herself to me. 

I was always an Evert then Graf fan. The complete polar opposites whilst being equally as successful and more than the Czech. (Sorry, Czech-American.  :P .). 

That's funny how we see things.   I saw Evert as a robot, with no emotion at all.  Fake smile, totally plastic.   Navratilova was the one who lived and died on the court.    And, of course, the two of them were actually really good friends.     

It's all perceptions.  

Serena and Venus dominated doubles too. Just saying.

That's funny how we see things.   I saw Evert as a robot, with no emotion at all.  Fake smile, totally plastic.   Navratilova was the one who lived and died on the court.    And, of course, the two of them were actually really good friends.     

It's all perceptions.

That's a huge misconception. You don't have to be a fist pumped and look mean to have emotion. Was Parcells more emotional than Gibbs? Some people where it on their sleeves and some don't.

I'd have to look it up but isn't Navratilova the only person in history to do the grand slam in singles, doubles and mixed?

Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. Pretty sure she holds the record for most doubles titles. Shriver wasn't the best on her own, but together with the Czech they were one awesome team. 

Hail. 

That's a huge misconception. You don't have to be a fist pumped and look mean to have emotion. Was Parcells more emotional than Gibbs? Some people where it on their sleeves and some don't.

Like I said, it's all perceptions.   My support was for Navratilova, back in the day, because of how I perceived the two of them.

• 1 month later...

Serena Williams, having won the first three legs of tennis' Grand Slam this year, lost in the semifinals of the U.S. Open on Friday. ESPN called it "arguably the biggest upset in tennis history." The number I keep seeing over and over again in the media is that winner Roberta Vinci (ranked 43rd in the world) was a 300-1 underdog to beat Williams on Friday.

Serena Williams, having won the first three legs of tennis' Grand Slam this year, lost in the semifinals of the U.S. Open on Friday. ESPN called it "arguably the biggest upset in tennis history." The number I keep seeing over and over again in the media is that winner Roberta Vinci (ranked 43rd in the world) was a 300-1 underdog to beat Williams on Friday.

Follow the money...

So you're saying Serena threw the match?

That was my take from his post.  Which, I have zero belief that she would do anything like that.  Nor do I believe all the nonsense and conspiracy theories that her father would decide which one of them would win the match when they played head to head.  

She is top notch, on the court and off.  She just got beat.

• 9 months later...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/09/tennis/wimbledon-serena-williams-angelique-kerber-tennis/

Serena Williams wins Wimbledon for historic 22nd grand slam title

This time, Serena Williams wouldn't be denied.

Deprived of a record-tying 22nd grand slam title in the Australian Open and French Open finals this year, Williams got to No. 22 Saturday by defeating a dogged Angelique Kerber 7-5 6-3 in a high-quality Wimbledon final.

It was the same Kerber who beat Williams in Melbourne in January but the world No. 1 turned the tables on the grass at the All England Club with a clinical display of power tennis amid windy conditions.

"I have definitely had some sleepless nights with a lot of stuff, coming so close and feeling it and not being able to get there," Williams, who also came within two matches of achieving a calendar-year grand slam at last year's U.S. Open, told reporters.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/751860501446025216

Venus and Serena Williams win Wimbledon women's doubles final; sisters are unbeaten in 14 major finals - @Wimbledon http://bit.ly/29u0CY5
3:28 PM

https://twitter.com/SpazP/status/751848463432769537

Cm8aMIFUMAAQtH5.jpg

This whole thread is ridiculous. She is one of the most recognizable athletes to walk the planet. I know absolutely nothing about tennis but I certainly know who Serena is. The idea that she doesn't get the respect she deserves is silly as well. She's incredibly popular whilst playing a sport that almost nobody cares about anymore.

And is there anyway we can leave the word "haters" in the past? It really needs to die.

Archived