Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Tennis.

DM72

I'm not sure why the lack of rivals comment is unfair. I'm not holding it against her, but this is about why Serena might not be getting the attention she deserves. I'm saying that she (and the sport) might get more attention if there was a big rivalry these days.

I don't think it's a race debate. I think it's more of a gender debate. People talked about Tiger and Lebron chasing titles for years.

she had rivals. You missed that in my post.

By the way, what has absolutely killed Tennis in the US is the fact that nobody watches the men's game. Like at all.

It's sort of staggering what has happened there.

that, and tennis (and soccer) is a microcosm of the problems we have in American sports with developing athletes.

It has always irritated me that the Williams' sisters were so much more genetically superior than their opponents. It cheapened their success for me.

I can still respect what she is doing to a degree though and I like her as a person.

You realize, of course, that the woman Serena defeated the other day is much more of a genetic freak than Serena is.  

Maria Sharapova is six foot 2, with a wingspan like an Andean Condor, and natural foot speed of a woman much smaller.   Her court coverage is far greater than any other woman who has ever played.  If you were trying to design a perfect tennis player body, you would start with Sharapova.   

Plus, by all accounts she's kind of a ****.  But she looks like a supermodel, so she is by far the highest paid woman athlete in the world, and will always be more beloved than Serena, even in the USA.     

Martina Navratolova never got the full credit, because of her appearance and playing style.  

People have written doctoral theses on Navratolova. An Eastern European who really never hid her sexuality in any way dominating a sport in Reagan's America and Thatcher's England.

Frankly, it's kind of amazing that people weren't burning effigies in the street when she played.

Again, not an expert on Tennis, but I have a question. Would going to three sets instead of five make the men's game more appealing?

I've always thought maybe the matches are too long to pull in the non tennis watcher. I know there have been some epic matches with guys squeezing out every ounce of energy, but maybe with the shortened match, the points would be more at a premium.

Again, not an expert on Tennis, but I have a question. Would going to three sets instead of five make the men's game more appealing?

I've always thought maybe the matches are too long to pull in the non tennis watcher. I know there have been some epic matches with guys squeezing out every ounce of energy, but maybe with the shortened match, the points would be more at a premium.

the women's game has gotten faster, but its not as fast as the men.

Also, and I hate to say this, but the women players quit easily. Serena is one of the few exceptions to that.

Damn, she did? When was this?

it was a rumor. Not sure if it was true but in the early aughts she messed with Lavar and Keyshawn Johnson.

I think the fact that the game is dominated by a bunch of Europeans who just seem to hit the ball as hard as humanly possible every time is the biggest problem.

It's really weird to me: in the 70s, it seemed like everyone played tennis. Now, it seems like I know more people who play in weekend rugby leagues than who play tennis.

By the way, golf is dying too.

I think the fact that the game is dominated by a bunch of Europeans who just seem to hit the ball as hard as humanly possible every time is the biggest problem.

It's really weird to me: in the 70s, it seemed like everyone played tennis. Now, it seems like I know more people who play in weekend rugby leagues than who play tennis.

By the way, golf is dying too.

I dont think tennis participation going down is the biggest problem.

I think other nations just teach the game better than us Americans do.

I think two things are happening here:

1. There has been a steep decline in the overall interest in tennis in this country, which has not been helped by the lack of compelling American Men.

2. Typically, a dominant woman's player would help raise interest in tennis among Americans. But people don't seem interested in Serena aside as some kind of museum piece. Race and looks (which in this case are linked) have something to do with that. I don't think that can be ignored.

I think what reduced the attraction of men's tennis is the increasing power of the rackets and the move to slower surfaces. The game was a lot more diverse on grass and you could have titanic battles of the like of McEnroe and Borg who had quite different styles. Even the players have got bigger as the power game has increased.

The best of five sets allow a great struggle to take place, but with longer rallies and evenly matched top players it can get way too much.

I'd be more inclined to place limits on the racket technology so that attacking the net was viable again, than reducing the number of games required to win a match.

Lack of popularity here is in part due to saturation of the other sports. Tennis is like track and field in that the American stars are much better known in Europe and elsewhere than at home.

I think what reduced the attraction of men's tennis is the increasing power of the rackets and the move to slower surfaces. The game was a lot more diverse on grass and you could have titanic battles of the like of McEnroe and Borg who had quite different styles. Even the players have got bigger as the power game has increased.

The best of five sets allow a great struggle to take place, but with longer rallies and evenly matched top players it can get way too much.

I'd be more inclined to place limits on the racket technology so that attacking the net was viable again, than reducing the number of games required to win a match.

Lack of popularity here is in part due to saturation of the other sports. Tennis is like track and field in that the American stars are much better known in Europe and elsewhere than at home.

My interest in men's tennis has fallen in direct proportion to racket technology.

There is nothing interesting about a 130 mph serve, return, then volley for winner. Nothing.

Men's tennis sucks ass. Probably the worst sport out there right now.

Golf is a lot like NASCAR, the American public decided about 10-15 years ago that it would be the next thing

But as more people joined, more people realized they both kind of suck. (And yes I play golf). Now they are both back to the same core group they had in 1995

Technology seems to have forced everyone to play the exact same style too.

Definitely. In 2003 at Wimbledon, Federer served and volleyed about 50% of the time, higher on first serves. Now, he'd be asking for a passing shot in trying that. Racket tech has forced everyone to play like Ivan Lendl. 

At this point, it seems like improvement at the ATP level is more about fitness than tactics. Player weaknesses are figured out quickly -- Nadal has owned Federer for a decade by going high to his backhand constantly. Novak Djokovic's game hasn't changed since before he was #1, but his training has. 

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8132800/has-novak-djokovic-become-fittest-athlete-ever-espn-magazine

No idea how this would get done, but I'd love to see restrictions on rackets or at least faster playing surfaces. Could lead to more variation in tactics and more interesting matches. 

Golf is a lot like NASCAR, the American public decided about 10-15 years ago that it would be the next thing

But as more people joined, more people realized they both kind of suck. (And yes I play golf). Now they are both back to the same core group they had in 1995

That's probably part of it.

I also think corporate belt-tightening has played a role. You probably know this more than me: but does anyone do business deals on the golf course any longer?

Every year I've worked for my company, our expense policy has gotten more and more stringent. And that seems to be a trend.

(We are way off subject, but I find this more interesting).

That's probably part of it.

I also think corporate belt-tightening has played a role. You probably know this more than me: but does anyone do business deals on the golf course any longer?

Every year I've worked for my company, our expense policy has gotten more and more stringent. And that seems to be a trend.

(We are way off subject, but I find this more interesting).

Maybe there's some truth to that. But I never bought that deals were ever made on golf courses. Just look at how many wildly successful business people don't even play

I think golf with customers is simply relationship forming. Helps facilitate business. But there are more inclusive (lots of people don't play) and effective means of forming relationships that I think most companies employ

Archived